🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Option of not giving a rating
Page options
p_van_kemenade
Community Member

Option of not giving a rating

I've hired a freelancer and worked him for a very short period.

For several reasons I don't want to continue the job and like to end the contract.

However when doing this it seems I'm required to leave a rating. But since I worked very shortly with this person I can't properly give any honest rating.

How to proceed, I already paused the gig, will it automatically close after a couple of months keeping it paused (have already notified the freelancer it will not continue) or is there any thing else I can do to close the job ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Patrick, I don't think it's fair not to leave your freelancer a feedback.

After all, you didn't explain why did you want to stop the contract.

Do you think the freelancer is not a good fit or your project changed?

If its the later, it would be fair to give them five stars so you don't ruin their reputation because your project changed or whatever. 

If you think the freelancer is not a good fit, than obviously you did form some kind of opinion about the freelancer, so you can leave the feedback as well.

If you are a kind person, and don't want to give them a negative feedback anyway (As a client I always paid freelancers and gave them five stars, even if they failed to do the job as I saw they did their best. Why would I punish them. If they didn't fulfill the job, but were honest and tried hard, I will maybe not pay the full ammount, but I will always pay something and give then five stars. But again, I'm a super cool human being, with 5.00 score as a client from more than 15 contracts :D) you can ask them to close the contract. That way you don't have to leave a feedback. However, you cannot close the contract without leaving a feedback.

HTH.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Patrick, I don't think it's fair not to leave your freelancer a feedback.

After all, you didn't explain why did you want to stop the contract.

Do you think the freelancer is not a good fit or your project changed?

If its the later, it would be fair to give them five stars so you don't ruin their reputation because your project changed or whatever. 

If you think the freelancer is not a good fit, than obviously you did form some kind of opinion about the freelancer, so you can leave the feedback as well.

If you are a kind person, and don't want to give them a negative feedback anyway (As a client I always paid freelancers and gave them five stars, even if they failed to do the job as I saw they did their best. Why would I punish them. If they didn't fulfill the job, but were honest and tried hard, I will maybe not pay the full ammount, but I will always pay something and give then five stars. But again, I'm a super cool human being, with 5.00 score as a client from more than 15 contracts :D) you can ask them to close the contract. That way you don't have to leave a feedback. However, you cannot close the contract without leaving a feedback.

HTH.

In this particular situation I think the selected freelancer wasn't the best fit for me personally.

But this doesn't mean the freelancer is good or bad for someone else, and also if I gave him more hours maybe my own opinion would be completly different.

So giving a less then 5* rating based on almost nothing isn't fair for the freelancer.

Same thing counts for employer wanting to hire freelancer, if they see a lot of 5* rating they would hire a person based on that and would also give a wrong message because 5* is different then no rating.

Freelancer is hired on hourly bases and of course gets paid for all the hours spend. Thanks for the tip that the freelancer can close the contract themself, guess I have to wait for that. Or just give 5* rating with a generic "Job completed" message.

Just trying to do the right thing here when the platform is making it difficult for me to do so.

You dont even have to leave a generic message. Just can leave them a rating without any comment if you want. 

Patrick V wrote:

Thanks for the tip that the freelancer can close the contract themself, guess I have to wait for that.

You may want to gently ask the freelancer to close it themselves.

Most freelancers will tarry for a long time, even several years before closing contracts, in hopes the client will eventually circle back to close it and leave feedback. Some others never close unless asked to, leaving the contract open until either they or their profile dies.

So don't leave your freelancer guessing that you will eventually come around to close it. Ask them to.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths