paulandivy

Option to Hide Earnings on Profile

As a contractor, is there a way to hide earnings on my profile page? I would like to have this option, because I'm thinking that other people who might have bad intentions might take advantage of us, freelancers, because they are actually seeing our earnings.

It's like a payslip or a bank account and anyone can see your earnings. I hope oDesk will see this as a critical issue because it's a matter of PRIVACY.

61 REPLIES 61
colettelewis

Although I have been with oDesk for some years, I am quite a newbie since all the changes, but as far as I know, there is no way to hide your earnings, and it has been like that since I started (2010). Perhaps this will change once the merger between Elance and oDesk is complete, but don't hold your breath! Man Wink

Thanks Nichola. I'm also hoping that oDesk will consider this issue. I know that it's been like this when I also started but it really got me thinking that showing our earnings must not be allowed to be seen publicly. This is for our protection (privacy), too.

I wonder when they'll consider such option NOT to be displayed. hmmm...

johntatlock

Agreed, I don't like having this displayed. It's nobody else's business.

Yes, I totally agree with you, John. I hope we can escalate the matter to oDesk executives or whoever is in the position to change the settings.

jefframlee

I thought I saw an option to hide my earnings in the settings. Maybe that's for total earnings.

Do you mean the earnings per job?

Hi Jeff,

Either way, I don't see any option to hide our earnings. Where did you find it? Thanks.

Hi Jeff

Can you please point out where this is on settings as I can't find it. Today I noticed that another contractor had all his earnings private and I wish to do the same. Thanks for any advice you can give. Cheers, Vicki

I am so against our earnings being publicly shown. I hope if we all contact Upwork and request this change, they'll realize they're violating our privacy in a way. I am against the earnings being shown because to kick off my reputation, I took some low bids just to get my foot in the door. If I start increasing my rates to a FAIR rate compared to my time spent, the client may feel ripped off; when in reality I am the one who was initially being ripped off just to build a reputation. We as designers already don't get the recognition and credit in the work that we do. We don't need our low rates displayed for low ballers to see.

jadloui

Yes they should put options to hide the freelancer earnings on each contract and total earnings. It should be appeared in the profile as private. this is for the buyer not to see my previous "private" job price contract and it gives more freedom for the contractor to give flexible price to each clients depending on their budget. 🙂

agreed - would perfer it was not there for clients to see

yes - I took some low paid jobs to get a hang of things

yes - I'm doing this because I want to make money not for the laughs and giggles

this explains why when I try to move up the income ladder and put a bid in that is either

• (a) the upwork suggested for your experience or
  • (b) what would actually be a fair price for the project

I get declined for price too high

I had never really looked that closely at what others see - - my bad - (edit to take a that out) (got a that for sale)

sometimes I feel its an uneven playing field here

kajomi

I think this is a major privacy issue. My profile was set to UpWork only, and my son (without an UpWork account) could google my earnings displayed on my UpWork profile. This is outrageous. I've contacted UpWork about this, but nothing really happens. My profile is set to "private" now - resulting in no invitations. The money I make here is not very little, and I am top rated. I am very upset about this.

You can set your profile to "visible only within Upwork".

gerti_gjoka

Totally agree! Upwork should give us the possibility to hide the earnings for every single project.

This is a big privacy issue

I understand not wanting others to know what you're making is uncomfortable and privacy is an issue.  However, I'm going to have to disagree.  I think earnings should be shown is because it gives weight to the reviews.

Let's say for example that someone has 1,000 hours and 5 star average review.  The rate on the profile is listed at $50/hr but you can't see the earnings, so one would assume that the ratings were based on that rate.  Then let's say that the ratings were actually for $1/hr work.  The client would have no way of knowing.

So someone could load up on $1/hr work to get good reviews and earn around $1,000.  Then they could land a client at $50/hr and lead them on for a couple of weeks making around $4,000.  Doing this with a few clients at a time until eventually they sink the profile with the inevitably bad reviews.

I know it's not the best example but displaying earnings openly does have a significant value.  Clients want to know that the freelancer is capable of earning what they claim that they are worth.  They don't want to find out after wasting money that it was all just an illusion.

You should set your profile privacy settings to only allow clients to see earnings.  Using Upwork as your freelancing platform is entirely optional.

@Daniel C wrote:

You should set your profile privacy settings to only allow clients to see earnings.  

It's not possible to only allow clients to see the earnings.

And if it's so important for clients to see earnings, which I don't necessarily disagree with, then why can Upwork and all other Enterprise clients hide the payments made to their freelancers?

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Daniel C wrote:

You should set your profile privacy settings to only allow clients to see earnings.  

It's not possible to only allow clients to see the earnings.

And if it's so important for clients to see earnings, which I don't necessarily disagree with, then why can Upwork and all other Enterprise clients hide the payments made to their freelancers?

I meant to say "Private" privacy setting.  They would miss out on invites, so if privacy is that important to them, then this sounds like a good option.  

Does it hide earnings on the freelancer profile or just hide payments made when viewing the Enterprise client's profile?   I guess it depends, if the freelancer is only working for one client and not applying to other jobs, then it's fine.  If they are applying to other jobs then I don't see why it shouldn't be consistent across the platform.

@Daniel C wrote:

Does it hide earnings on the freelancer profile or just hide payments made when viewing the Enterprise client's profile?   I guess it depends, if the freelancer is only working for one client and not applying to other jobs, then it's fine.  If they are applying to other jobs then I don't see why it shouldn't be consistent across the platform.

It hides the earnings on the freelancer's profile as well. It's a very inconsistent solution. I do agree that the dollar value and hourly rate puts ratings into perspective, but they could either do it like I believe it was on Elance that once a freelancer applies, the earning history becomes visible to the client, OR, let us deal with it. If a client doesn't want to hire me because they can't see my earnings history, then so be it. It's a risk I am happy to take.

If people hire a plumber, they don't request them to bring their earnings history with them either. And if the platform insists for them to be public, then at the very least Upwork should lead by example and make their own payment history public. But then we would see just how little CS, Markety & Safety and some other teams are paid I guess. 

Daniel C wrote:

I understand not wanting others to know what you're making is uncomfortable and privacy is an issue.  However, I'm going to have to disagree.  I think earnings should be shown is because it gives weight to the reviews...

So someone could load up on $1/hr work to get good reviews and earn around $1,000.  Then they could land a client at $50/hr and lead them on for a couple of weeks making around $4,000.  Doing this with a few clients at a time until eventually they sink the profile with the inevitably bad reviews.

That's great and all but people are only asking for the option. An option which isn't hard to implement.  At that point if a client gets screwed because a client failed to see the warning signs of a worker who makes $1/hr usually then that's on them. 

1) If the job is fixed the contractor would never see the money.

2) If the job is hourly and they work 3 weeks without a client never looking at the project then they're to blame.

There's a difference to being pro-client and being pro-client to the detriment of a contractor's wishes.

oquintela

What I don't understand is why some clients are able to hide how much they're paying.

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 13.23.37.png

This may sound naive, but if freelancers can't hide their earnings why should clients be allowed to hide hourly rates? Freelancers working with these clients will end up having contracts that are not displaying how much they earned. 

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 13.27.12.png

@Olga Q wrote:

This may sound naive, but if freelancers can't hide their earnings why should clients be allowed to hide hourly rates? Freelancers working with these clients will end up having contracts that are not displaying how much they earned. 

That's how it's on my profile too. My lower value contracts I took early on show the rate and totals, while my highest value contracts have it hidden. It looks stupid and must be confusing for clients too.

screeler

I think freelancers should have the option of hiding their hourly rates on different jobs because clients might look at the lowest hourly rater on the profile and ask the freelancer why they are trying to charge them so much when they've worked for so little in the past. 

I think that even in the same area of expertise, a freelancer should be able to anonymously adjust their rate depending on the job expectations. They should be able to lower the rate without anyone knowing either because they think the job is worth it in the long run. 

The main hourly rate that's displayed by our names should be the only rate anyone sees. It's no one's business how much each of us earns. Any company I worked for in the past didn't ask me what my pay was from my previous jobs, they only asked me what I expected to be paid so I'm not really thrilled about having my financials exposed for everyone to see here. 

aperezhrd

That option should be available as soon as possible. It even shows the result of unpaid jobs. For instance having worked 33 hours at $16/h and only earned $30, because of client not paying. Now someone sees that and thinks "this guy failed at that time to charge the client. He might be easy to fool". I bought my membership a few minutes ago, but I'm thinking of canceling it because of this critical privacy flaw.

@Adrian P wrote:

That option should be available as soon as possible. It even shows the result of unpaid jobs. For instance having worked 33 hours at $16/h and only earned $30, because of client not paying. Now someone sees that and thinks "this guy failed at that time to charge the client. He might be easy to fool". I bought my membership a few minutes ago, but I'm thinking of canceling it because of this critical failure of privacy.

I for one want no part of hiding earnings. When I hire people I want to know what price range they have been working in and any other information that is pertinent to my hiring them. People who hide earning are highly suspect to me and I doubt I would hire anyone who thought it was a good idea. This platform has worked successfully for years with earnings being shown and I don't want it changed. In fact, as a client, I would prefer more information.

"This platform has worked successfully for years with earnings being shown and I don't want it changed."

Others do.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell

Upwork seems to be more client-oriented and freelancers are treated more like "employees". 

I wonder how many "clients" would be willing to show us their tax returns so freelancers can judge their ability to pay decent rates for professionals and not skip out or scam us? 

We are indepedant contractors in business for ourselves. You do not deduct taxes from our earnings, and you are a client, not a boss. 

You are not entitled to knowing what we charge other clients, because it violates their privacy as well. It's sad this platform seems to be extremely flawed and low-quality.

@cairenn R wrote:

You are not entitled to knowing what we charge other clients, because it violates their privacy as well. It's sad this platform seems to be extremely flawed and low-quality.

There are many other places you could go to...but whether you're going to have all your demands met is another question. I wish you the best on these other platforms.

maribmota

Wow. That's so weird, not being able to hide your earnings.

That's extremely weird. Just coming from Elance and...oh, that's weird.

Completely agree. Hence  going to make my profile absolutely private . Good bye clients'  invitation ! 

word-4-word

It should be a freelancer's basic right to hide their earnings if they wish to do so.

The main issue I have, as others have said, is it allows potential clients to view your price range. If you charge them more they start questioning why!

I for one think we should have the choice and those who wish to display their earnings to the whole of Upwork can go ahead and do so:)

I, too, think freelancers should have the optional ability to hide their earnings. Earlier, someone said that as a client they want to see that financial info.

As a freelancer, I want to see a lot of the client's history and financials, because there are plenty of unscrupulous clients out there, just as there are bum freelancers. One of the biggest problems I have with Upwork, coming from elance, is how much respect has been taken away from freelancers, and how much power has been given to clients. I don't work for an employer any more because I was tired of the "you know nothing, do as I say" attitude. The clients I have now, outside of freelancing sites, work "with" me. I don't work for them, they don't work for me. It's more of a partnership, with mutual respect. Upwork seems to be set on taking that respect away from freelancers.

I've got to agree with you on that one Cathleen, we freelancers seem to be made to feel like the underdogs at times although we're the ones providing a service.

I must admit there seems to be more respect given on Elance by clients.

papieminem

As a freelancer, I think it is also important and really crucial to have the option to hide our earnings.

On the other I understand also that the client may want to know that information.

What is more unpleasant, even people outside upwork have access to your earning information. 

Sometime just want to share my profile as resume, CV, or portfolio, but it’s just not cool at all to have your earnings on these documents.

I will suggest to Upwork to first at least give us the opportunity to hide these to non Upwork clients, and users outside Upword.

Another option, related to clients on Upwork, is to just show them a global information about our earnings. Not all the earning details about every contract, just an idea about the earning of the freelancer during the last three, six, twelve months.  

nenad91

I just come from Elance, and  frankly speaking, Elance was like google, simple, very review, all in one place and most importantly allowed to hide profits.

I hope that improve all this

taylormarks

Hi 

Hope I am in the right Forum. 

Elance before had the option for Freelancers if you wanted to display your Earnings or not

This function does not seem to exist with Upwork and its bad. 

Displaying earnings on a Freelancers website can go both ways were a lot of factors are involved. 

I strongly suggest that Upwork includes the option for Freelancers to either display or not display earnings. 

Respectfully, its not up to Upwork to decide how Freelancers wish to display their data. It should be up to the Freelancers.

If a lot people agree with me, hopefully Upwork could install this function as soon as possible. 

Thank you 

Marks

"I just come from Elance, and  frankly speaking, Elance was like google, simple, very review, all in one place and most importantly allowed to hide profits."

I 100% agree that earnings should be private, but to say that one has the choice to hide earnings on Elance is not entirely accurate. Freelancers on Elance could (can) opt to hide their earnings from general view. But in fact, their earnings were (are) visible to any client who is interested in hiring that freelancer. Also, unless a client has put all his/her settings to 'private', anyone can check who the job went to and how much the freelancer was paid. 

This option would be great, so that we would be able to negociate our rates better. You know, when we start, we are forced to take less paying jobs in order to create our reputation. Yes, I know, some people stick to normal rates from the beginning, but some sections are really competitive. We can be forced to do it if our JSS drops as well. Later it is quite difficult to recover from it Smiley Sad  I think market would work better this way. Not to mention privacy... 

jedwardmills

I have requested this along with the option to hide HOURLY rate but no luck.

Why do you want to hide your hourly rate?

This is a key thing many clients look at when considering contractors.

How about we just put an end to this.

They won't do, don't plan to do it and it's not going to happen.

I for one want it kept just the way it is. It's worked just fine for me for 8 years and I really could care less if you had it on Elance or not. Elance is gone ...get over it.