Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to assign negative kudos

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 51

As for the title of this thread: option to asign negative kudos.

Why? If you are not in agreement with what someone has said, you have the right to say so. Why not exercise the right?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 51

Todor:

You are right in everything you have said here.

But there will be no "negative kudo" button.

The button is not REALLY necessary.

There IS an option in the dropdown menu to "Report Inappropriate Content."

I find this option to be quite effictive, and it is one I use often. For example, I often move threads from one category to another using this option, and I often merge a redundant new thread into appropriate ongoing threads. And sometimes I have inappropriate posts removed entirely. It DOES work.

You also have the option to use the "reply" button to reply to a post and explain why the poster of that post was wrong or inappropriate, as long as you do so in an appropriate way.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 51

Preston H wrote:For example, I often move threads from one category to another using this option, and I often merge a redundant new thread into appropriate ongoing threads.

You move threads into other categories and you merge threads?

HOW?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
14 of 51

re: "You move threads into other categories and you merge threads?

HOW?"

Petra:

Just like I implied in my post:

- I click on the "Report Inappropriate Content" option in the dropdown menu on the top right corner of a post.

- I am shown a text box in which I type "Please move this thread to Freelancers section." I click "Submit."

- An Upwork moderator looks at my message and acts on it, usually within a few hours.

Were I to make a suggestion that the Upwork moderator or workers don't agree with, obviously they would not act upon my request. But I'm judicious in my use of the "Report Inapproprate Content" button. I feel like I don't over-use it, and I feel like my requests are taken seriously because they are meant to be helpful and they comply with community guidelines.

For the record, I'm not about editing legitimate forum posts. Most of the time the only type of posts I flag for removal are spam from businesses trying to sell their junk or posts in which newbie contractors post their skill qualifications and/or resume, apparently clueless about the fact that they are supposed to do that on the main Upwork site, not in the Forum. I don't flag the posts of regular forum paticipants who actually know how to use the Forum.

petra_r
Community Guru
15 of 51

Ah OK, so you don't actually merge or move anything, you report and someone else does.

It's a bit like saying you extinguished a house fire after calling the fire-brigade. Smiley Tongue

I thought you found some functionality to merge or move posts about.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
16 of 51

re: "I thought you found some functionality to merge or move posts about."

I wish.

But no, I don't know of any functionality that you don't know about.

Actually, if I was able to have a wish granted for a special privilege on Upwork, it would be a "No Soup for You" button that I could use for any new contractor whose first post in the Forum is "I'm new on Upwork. Please tell me how to get a job fast." My button would block them from applying to any job for three months, to give them enough time to work on their profile and research how things work so they don't spend their first month of work annoying legitimate clients and getting scammed by illegitimate ones.

petra_r
Community Guru
17 of 51

@Preston H wrote:

Actually, if I was able to have a wish granted for a special privilege on Upwork, it would be a "No Soup for You" button that I could use for any new contractor whose first post in the Forum is "I'm new on Upwork. Please tell me how to get a job fast." My button would block them from applying to any job for three months, to give them enough time to work on their profile and research how things work so they don't spend their first month of work annoying legitimate clients and getting scammed by illegitimate ones.

Or those who have the ability to find the forum, and find a thread that answers their question, yet post the same question that has been answered about 10 times in the SAME thread....   So they're clearly not COMPLETELY devoid of brains, as they were able to find both the forum and the thread, but ... didn't find the answer (10 x repeated, just above their post asking the same question AGAIN?)

PS - Interesting how you edited that ...;)

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
18 of 51

I agree with the original posters. There are a few people who constantly ridicule the original poster, hijack threads or start in with the jokes that have nothing to do with the topic. This one is the most annoying as they start the joke and then everyone else piles on and the original poster is left frustrated that their question is not being answered. It didn't use to be that way here a number of months back. 

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
19 of 51

@Jean S wrote:

I agree with the original posters. There are a few people who constantly ridicule the original poster, hijack threads or start in with the jokes that have nothing to do with the topic. This one is the most annoying as they start the joke and then everyone else piles on and the original poster is left frustrated that their question is not being answered. It didn't use to be that way here a number of months back. 

Yes, I do agree with this too. Especially right now, when a lot of people depended on Elance/odesk/upwork to make a living. They are coming here to find answers and try and figure out how to use the site and get answers, and the thread diversions are annoying. Losing income and not being able to pay bills is not a big joke.

Maybe those who are hijacking could show a little compassion, and open up their own thread to discuss video games, or alligators, or whatever you are diverting a thread to.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
20 of 51

don't go in the coffee break section Cathleen you might not like the positive vibes there. 🙂 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS