Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to assign negative kudos

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
21 of 51

The only reason I come here is to keep watch on what was once a platform for me to make money (Elance) and see if anything is getting better. So no, I won't go to the coffee break section. Smiley Very Happy I check here, and I check the client section.

I don't use Upwork or Elance for a social platform, I have FB for that. But you have fun! 😉

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
22 of 51

Trust me Cathleen I always have fun.. even while I'm compiling a list of people most likely to report me for having for not being serious in the so serious freelancer section.. 😉 

I'd rather be here than Facebook to read what's being said in jest by the brilliant minds that love to have a bit of levity in their lives and then share that with others. 🙂

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 51

@Cathleen C wrote:

Maybe those who are hijacking could show a little compassion, and open up their own thread to discuss video games, or alligators, or whatever you are diverting a thread to.

OK, Cathleen,

I apologize for the alligator comment but I really don't think I can be accused of not trying to help and answer serious questions with a practical answer.

So fine, let me find the alligator comment and remove it.

Jeez.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
24 of 51

@Jean S wrote:

I agree with the original posters. There are a few people who constantly ridicule the original poster, hijack threads or start in with the jokes that have nothing to do with the topic. This one is the most annoying as they start the joke and then everyone else piles on and the original poster is left frustrated that their question is not being answered. It didn't use to be that way here a number of months back. 

Jean,

I don't agree with you many a time, but I do agree on this. There is a section for the joking around and having fun and some seem to think the forum is their own personal playground and it is ok to derail threads and start jokes.

There is a time and place for jokes and fooling around. It is very annoying to see pages of stupid remarks before one gets to the thread topic. 

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
25 of 51

@Suzanne N wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

I agree with the original posters. There are a few people who constantly ridicule the original poster, hijack threads or start in with the jokes that have nothing to do with the topic. This one is the most annoying as they start the joke and then everyone else piles on and the original poster is left frustrated that their question is not being answered. It didn't use to be that way here a number of months back. 

Jean,

I don't agree with you many a time, but I do agree on this. There is a section for the joking around and having fun and some seem to think the forum is their own personal playground and it is ok to derail threads and start jokes.

There is a time and place for jokes and fooling around. It is very annoying to see pages of stupid remarks before one gets to the thread topic. 

What bothers me the most is someone comes here with a problem that is urgent or important to them and then the bozo's decide to derail the threat for their own personal reasons.

This is very insulting to the original poster and completely demeans their request for help. The thing is...there's no need for it here when these people have the Coffee Room where they can joke to their hearts content.

It takes a special kind of disturbed personality to do this to people looking for help. Their own need to disrupt, see themselves in print and be the center of attention take presidence over all else. 

Many people will no longer bother posting here because they've been ridiculed by these people. That's just sad.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
26 of 51

Thanks Preston for that wealth of information. 

Now Garnor doesn't have to reply to my question about reporting people for 'joking' or straying from the thread. I now know that anyone can report something and get a freelancer **edited for Community Guidelines** and possibly have them banned. Good to know.... 😉 

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
27 of 51

"... I believe freedom of speech should at all times be kept, regardless of whether I agree or not..."

Irene - how I agree with this and the rest of your post!

And I'm glad the majority are against 'gagging' which is what the OP's suggestion would result to. In any case, how much bruising can one suffer with the diligence of the mods on these forums and the options contributors have as explained by Preston?

Aah... we don't want to be too uptight really. Some joke here, some 'stupidity' there... It all helps you not sweat out the little problems on the platform (and the big ones, sometimes!)

What I've observed, anyway, is that for an OP in need of serious help, they always find a way of bringing contributors back on course when a thread seems to be diverging from the original spirit of the OP's post. But if you originate a post and then take three/four days before you check out the responses, you may find that what you initiated in English is now Greek, if not Latin... Smiley LOL

In short, if you are serious about your post, you need to follow it and give clarifications where you think other people are misunderstanding it, because it is not always about dry jokes. There are some posts that are very open to different interpretations and only the originator can help contributors focus accordingly.

natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
28 of 51

"Probably Upwork should take out the "Kudos" button, and make the discussions prone to posting only relevant opinions."

This is a weird coincidence... (just thinking out loud)

Todor, there was a time when the forum did not have kudos and people were still very opinionated about different topics. If we go back in time and take a look at the old forum, there were fights on a regular basis and the dynamics between different individuals and groups were very clear. Some could be very rude to other posters to the point where people avoided the forum, posts were hijacked all the time and may I also add we had trolls that loved to stir the pot. I know you are new to the forum but old posters remember this. This was B.K. (Before Kudos).  

A lot of people offer help here (give it some time and you'll notice who they are). You will also notice who you tend to agree more or less with, and yes, some posters sound as if they work for Upwork (this is something that has been noticed many already). We can't always agree on everything and you can't avoid arguments. Just ignore the ones that don't bring something to the table and report the ones that are offensive to you.

The main difference between now and then is that the focus has shifted to Upwork's management (lack of transparancy among other things) and increased technical issues. One bug affects hundreds, if not thousands, of users at the same time so many of us will be frustrated and express our frustration about the same thing - at the same time. It is only natural that so many users agree with each other because we litteraly experience the same problems and can feel each others frustration. It only requires one poster to bring it up and kudos will drop in. 

By the way, kudos can represent different things so don't take it too seriously. It could be about a funny or clever comment someone said, or someone appreciateing help, solutions, or agreeing with complaints, etc. If you spend some time in the forum, you will notice people's characters and realize why they get their kudos. Even within the same comment you might agree or disagree with someone.

The bottom line is, you can't control or streamline a discussion by removing or adding Kudos buttons. We have seen this in the past when kudos were not even on the map. If you want to contribute or make your point heard in a discussion, then write a post or comment and/or reply to comments that are relevant to you or the topic. If someone is rude or offensive, let them know about it or report them.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think about the Top Solution Authors, Top Kudoed Members and Featured Contributor?

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
29 of 51

Report TOS violations, but adding a "I don't like what you said" button? 

Cover your eyes, step away from the forum, move on. A simple solution that does not require UW to spend the time adding a useless feature when there are more pressing issues to be dealt with. 

tvelev
Ace Contributor
Todor V Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
30 of 51

Thank you for all your comments! Let me see if I can summarize it:

1. It seems that everybody agrees the problem exists…but it has no solution (or this is not the solution).
  2. If there are opinions, these are complete contrarian – while some suggest reporting to Upwork, other do not want to have somebody to control them…
  3. I had to add p.5 in my listing – irrelevant comments. There were some posting discussing the right to express somebody’s opinion…I am not sure anybody here spoke about the content, it was about the form. To report them to Upwork for watering down the discussion or changing the topic...seriously???

@ Natasa:

“Just out of curiousity, what do you think about the Top Solution Authors, Top Kudoed Members and Featured Contributor”

I am afraid I am still a rookie here, so my answers will be quite wild shots. If you ask me about the output of Most Kudoed Authors, there is no much to add to your comments above. If the Top Solutions are related to answering practical questions in practical manner, probably these should be the basis to build the Q&A section of Upwork. Still will not alleviate the problem of Preston with the “how to get my first job” postings, but might be of help.

But if you ask me about the authors, not the result of their contributions, it seems that some of them (and other members) are in danger to spend their whole personal and professional life on Upwork and on the community. This might be irreversible 🙂  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS