Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to assign negative kudos

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
31 of 51

I was compiling a long post to address each of the original OP's points, made initially, and in summary, and then decided against it. I have a document that needs finishing. 

If I have caused any offense to his sensibilities, I heartily apologise. I shall endeavour to do my utmost not to do so again. 

tvelev
Ace Contributor
Todor V Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
32 of 51

I will follow the advice of Mercy and will try to bring back the discussion to the original topic Smiley Happy.

There were very few comments related to the topic itself, and I appreciate these very much. I will only reply to the members that probably misunderstood the proposal and I would like to bring them back to the forum and have their opinion.  

And Preston, it seems it works – I do not know who reported some of the postings, but they are removed! But I still keep on track with my proposal.

The reason to continue is simple – out of total of 30 postings (26, excluding mines), about only 6 are related to the topic. The rest are probably irrelevant (comments on topics that are of interest to the poster but not related to the central topic, jokes, exchange of advises, “let me post something while bored” type of messages, etc.). It makes that only 6 out of 26 postings are relevant (less than 25%). If we add the deleted postings, the percentage is even lower. It means two things:

1. The problem is huge and there is a need to bring the attention of the posters to concentrate on the central question
  2. If 75% percent of the postings might be removed and this will not change the discussion, probably the community still is not ready for self regulation

But Let me try to answer in chronological order and see if we can get something positive out of this:

@ Nicola – “What is an improper joke?”

Hope now, after reading some postings (now deleted) in this discussion, you have a better feeling about “what is improper joke” . If clarified, and you agree with the rest, please let us know your opinion about the proposal to have negative kudos button (or "irrelevant comment" button).

@ Evelina – “We don't need a teacher to penalize or reward us for good behavior.”

Basically, now we have a teacher (Upwork) to be asked to intervene every time you think something is wrong. The proposal is to have the community regulating itself, without the need to ask the “teacher” to act; what do you think about that?

@ Irene and @ Cathleen – “I believe freedom of speech should at all times be kept, regardless of whether I agree or not.”

It is good to protect the freedom of speech….but probably at another discussion thread. The proposal is not to ban people from posting, just to get them a feedback that next time they decide to post it would be good to read and understand what the discussion topic is about. This will hugely reduce the volume of irrelevant postings. Everybody can post; and everybody could tell the poster to go and waste time at another discussion topic. What do you think about this?

@ Irene – “As for the title of this thread: option to asign negative kudos. Why? If you are not in agreement with what someone has said, you have the right to say so. Why not exercise the right?”

Ha-ha, it seems it is also good to comment on the topic. Think how people hit the kudo button and if they post always “I like your posting” comment or not. Hope this helps; and I guess most people will simply pass an irrelevant comment instead of posting “What is this about” question. I guess your question is rhetoric as the answer is evident….which basically makes your posting supportive to the proposal

@ Cairenn – “Cover your eyes, step away from the forum, move on. A simple solution that does not require UW to spend the time adding a useless feature when there are more pressing issues to be dealt with.”

Imagine the discussion topic is of interest for a lot of people from the community, but the discussion is constantly shifting and gets derailed due to exchange of advises and jokes that are irrelevant (not offensive or something else, simply irrelevant). And if these are the “more pressing issues to be dealt with.”? Probably this is the reason to start this discussion topic – read the comments of Setu, Preston, Natasa – they all agree this is a problem. How would you suggest to act – to abandon?

@ Irene – “I was compiling a long post to address each of the original OP's points, made initially, and in summary, and then decided against it. I have a document that needs finishing.”

Well. I will really appreciate if you could post your opinion. Finally, the time has come…and you are not left with time…? Please, find the time.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
33 of 51

@Todor V wrote:

1. The problem is huge and there is a need to bring the attention of the posters to concentrate on the central question
  2. If 75% percent of the postings might be removed and this will not change the discussion, probably the community still is not ready for self regulation

Nobody (other than the moderators) are paid to be on the forum.

People are here for all sorts of reasons, but frankly unless you pay me I (personally) will respond to any give post or thread exactly how I like. It is my time. Because it is my time I won't be told what exactly to concentrate on. If you would like to pay me I will concentrate on what you pay me to concentrate on during the time you are paying me to concentrate on it.

Clearly everyone has to stick to basic rules, and people are frequently reminded when they stray or get too stroppy or whatever.

I don't see how this forum is different to other forums; different characters and temperaments and cultural backgrounds and personalities get together and discuss stuff. Things get heated, threads get jacked, people throw hissy fits, others slink into a corner to sulk. It's the Internet. It's been like that since the good old days of Usenet (Anyone remember that? The great-grandfather of forums?)

Personally I come to the forum between working, (usually when I switch between my two main contracts, to clear my mind somewhat.) When I do I answer questions if I know the answer, and have a bit of fun with "my colleagues" and I think that's why the majority of regulars are here. Some come in mainly to complain, others swim in and out when they have a question. Others post once and are never seen again.

I don't see the point of negative kudos, nor do I see how it would actually improve what you perceive to be the problem. Maybe an "ignore" button would be better which many forums have, so if someone really irritates you you can opt to never see their posts again and peace is restored. It works pretty well driving trolls away from other forums because when enough people ignore them they don't get the attention they are so desperate for and go away.

tvelev
Ace Contributor
34 of 51

@Petra R wrote:

I don't see the point of negative kudos, nor do I see how it would actually improve what you perceive to be the problem. Maybe an "ignore" button would be better which many forums have, so if someone really irritates you you can opt to never see their posts again and peace is restored. It works pretty well driving trolls away from other forums because when enough people ignore them they don't get the attention they are so desperate for and go away.

Thank you, Petra,

I am not sure where you want to get to with this posting, but the final paragraph is exactly the solution I am looking for! The "ignore" button is a very good point!!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 51

Todor V wrote

I am not sure where you want to get to with this posting,

Which part may I clarify for you?

tvelev
Ace Contributor
36 of 51

@Petra R wrote:

Which part may I clarify for you?

Petra, it seems that there is another thread about the freedom of speach, as there are some posting as if people are coming from the other discussion and "discharge" their thoughts here Smiley Happy. Of course everybody has the right to write whatever he/she thinks; and the rest of the community has the right to tell them to go and post comments not related to the topic at another place. Assuming this is abvious (which does not seem to be the case for all of us), the questions here is: how to let them know that what they posted is irrelevant for the specific discussion topic?

This is the reason I find your suggestion for "ignore" button helpful. I am a guy from the B&M world, have no idea how it works, but seem to be reduce the level of "noise" in the discussions. 

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
37 of 51

Petra, it seems that there is another thread about the freedom of speach, as there are some posting as if people are coming from the other discussion and "discharge" their thoughts here Smiley Happy. Of course everybody has the right to write whatever he/she thinks; and the rest of the community has the right to tell them to go and post comments not related to the topic at another place. Assuming this is abvious (which does not seem to be the case for all of us), the questions here is: how to let them know that what they posted is irrelevant for the specific discussion topic?

The problem with this is that what you think is irrelevant to the original issue, might be very relevant to the person who wrote the comment. Your very post actually includes and example of this; you believe that people that are mentioning freedom of speech in this topic are venting about something that belongs into another toopic, yet to these people - at least presumably - the option to "dislike" a post is very much a matter of freedom of speach. We all have our subjective views about issues, and the connections we make to other issues are personal. For someone to say that they think we are talking nonsense can be very hurtful, which is why I personally find the idea of a negative kudos bizarre. To me, it seems like a tool that is mainly good for bullying people and causing them anger\hurt, which in turn hardly would work in favour of calming the waters or building a better community. Do we really want to add tools to spread negative vibes? 

While I can understand that thread hijacking and excessive and\or insensitive jokes are usually bad for "quality" conversation, it also is worth noticing that human discussions are full of nonsense. If our talks with our peers were recorded and then later listened to, the way conversations evolve is often nothing short of bizarre. I think it's very natural that this phenomenom is present at online forums as well. In fact I find it peculiar how we are so strict with setting parameters for a discussion when it is in a written form. I am not saying this is wrong, but when you think about how people normally talk to each other, offline, it is very strange, isn't it?

If the problem really seems to be a large one, I agree with Petra's idea that an ignore-button would serve the same purpose in a much better way.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
38 of 51

Bravo Petra!

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
39 of 51

I kinda keep wishing there was a limit for number of posts per user per 24 hours (Coffee Break excluded).

tvelev
Ace Contributor
40 of 51

Thank you, Sandra,

Very good point! It will definitely make some people think before they write and move from thread to thread Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS