Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to assign negative kudos

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
41 of 51

Sigh..

(Flag as irrelevant if you want...off to do some thread-hopping. Laters.)

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
42 of 51

So in short - you don't like how other people have chosen to participate... in a forum of all places. 

It's a forum. It's not an office. Common sense and common netiquette rules are already in place. What's the point of trying to bring even tighter dresscode? I'll try not to repeat what's already been said - Petra pretty much nailed everything in her last post but:

• Moderation here is already more strict than it used to be. Threads are moved, closed, locked, inappropriate comments are deleted. Everything that breaks actual rules is being handled. What you want is a stack of scarlet letter stickers for everyone whose style of contribution you don't like. Hardly productive. 
  • Your summary of the answers in this thread suggests that you want everything to be short, to the point, precise and strictly goal-oriented. Which is fine, if that is your style. But it's not everyone's style and trying to impose it on everyone with penalty points for every deviation is not how organic communication works. 
  • I have no idea how many forums you've participated in, but the communication in online communities has a way of regulating itself. And while I'm not a fan of extreme thread-jacking, it's also part of the rhythm of online communities, and it also has a way to self-regulate. Excessive rules just discourage posting and decrease activity. 
  • We're humans. We're not machines. Some of us like a bit of noise even in the driest discussions. If you want to let me know that my post is irrelevant to a thread, do so in a comment. Or report. Upvotes and downvotes - are we aiming for reddit?
  • I'd very much prefer the team to focus on fixing important issues with the main site than spend time on a community feature designed to act as faux-polite negativity outlet. 
setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
43 of 51
Browbeating the OP for factual statements?

Nit-picking about the suggestion for negative kudos, rather than the points of his objection?

Lets see what happens after the 1 month suspension is up.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
tvelev
Ace Contributor
Todor V Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
44 of 51

@ Bojana

Than you for your appreciation of how I think profesionnaly related postings shoudl look like. This is a marketplace, we are here to get some work, and that's all. If somebody needs to have social life, in addition to other on-line websites (communities), there is also the real B&M world (yes, it still exists, and is much more rewarding). 

As long as the standard for online community is to have about 80% irrelevant postings (if this is what you are reffering to), it means there is no meaningful forum and discussion (or that it is extremely difficult to get a result). It seems most of the people here are happy with it not because they are looking for professional discussion forum, but because this is their social life (despite claims on the contrary). And as long as Upwork is a substitute for personal life, no much can be done to make it professional (in its community postings forum). 

Mariska said it rightly - if we remove all the irrelevant postings, it will be several guys sitting on a garbage bin..... What is difficult to understand is why people are so eager to work and live in garbage bin :). If the answer is - because of the lack of better alternatives, this is sad. 

noirre
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
45 of 51

Than you for your appreciation of how I think profesionnaly related postings shoudl look like. This is a marketplace, we are here to get some work, and that's all. If somebody needs to have social life, in addition to other on-line websites (communities), there is also the real B&M world (yes, it still exists, and is much more rewarding).

The Community is not a place to get work, though. The UpWork platform with the job postings and the proposals is. The Community, aptly named for it's purpose, is for the contractors and the clients using the platform to communicate and to feel a sense of belonging. We help each other, we poke fun at each other, we piss each other off, we congratulate each other and so on and so fort. 

I have posted in and moderated different types of online communities for over a decade, and I can assure you that if you want to build a helpful community, the key to it is to have enough slack in your reins. If you are too strict or create a negative environment, people won't enjoy posting, which in turn means that when you have a person needing advice or help, there will be nobody around to help him or her. This is a particulary ill-advised idea for a community which for the better part of it consists of people who became contractors because they wanted to be their own bosses, ie. free of rules. 

protoman_2k
Ace Contributor
Rejith P Member Since: Sep 13, 2015
46 of 51

If we are given the option to flag the post as "Relevant" or "Irrelevant" to the topic, then the OP (and other users?) can have the option to view only "Relevant" topics to the post. One can debate on who should have the option to select the responses as relevant or not (probably greater powers to the OP?).

This way users can select what they want to read on a thread. Just my couple of cents....

tvelev
Ace Contributor
Todor V Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
47 of 51

@Rejith P wrote:

If we are given the option to flag the post as "Relevant" or "Irrelevant" to the topic, then the OP (and other users?) can have the option to view only "Relevant" topics to the post. One can debate on who should have the option to select the responses as relevant or not (probably greater powers to the OP?).

This way users can select what they want to read on a thread. Just my couple of cents....

Very good proposal, Rejith,

If these two buttons exist (although probably only the button "Irrelevant" sufficies), I think every reader of a posting should have the opportunity to press it. And every reader of the thread should be able to select the level of relevance of the postings (for example) and read only the comments related to the OP. 

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
48 of 51

There are enough policemen on these forums - believe me.

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
49 of 51

An ignore button sounds like a great idea. Or here's another idea...

Those who want to discuss Upwork business will post threads in the Freelancers or Clients sections, and stay out of the Coffee Break area. Those who want to discuss anything besides Upwork business, head on over to the Coffee Break section that Upwork has so generously provided for this exact purpose and stream your consciousness there, and people who want to discuss business won't disrupt your postings with their business talk. That seems fair and respectful to both sides. It isn't a case of anyone trying to tell anyone what to say, just where to say it, as a matter of common courtesy and respect. 🙂

evetodew
Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
50 of 51

If negative kudos are not on the agenda, why keep discussing it?

P.S. I work 7 days a week. No, I don't have the happy social life others do. The minutes I spend here are a pleasure for me with all comments relevant or irrelevant (plus the improper jokes).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS