Option to edit proposals after sending

In all my years on ODesk / Upwork I have always endeavoured to make my proposals perfect before I send, but I still sometimes spot something I would like to correct after sending.

It is so frustrating not to be able to edit a proposal after sending.

Can a moderator please propose this option to the Upwork developers. I'm sure the vast majority of freelancers would really appreciate it.

Edited:

There we go - I've just edited this after posting  - I spotted something I wanted to change.

We can edit forum messages but not proposals! Doesn't make sense to me.

19 REPLIES 19
moha-plaban

in this case people will edit it for thousand times witch will lost the quality of proposal. but i agree we should get a chance to edit at least 1 time. thanks for the post.
Mahmudul H - WordPress Designer and Developer
and979

Hi Chris,

as a freelancer your idea is quite charming.Polishing your proposals, or simply fixing a mistake, isn't a bad idea at all.

But from a practical point of view, how can a client review each proposal after it has been modified? It would mean a considerable waste of time.

Why not offering a 'proposal preview page' instead, so that one can review everything once again before posting it?

@Andrea B wrote:

Hi Chris,

as a freelancer your idea is quite charming.Polishing your proposals, or simply fixing a mistake, isn't a bad idea at all.

But from a practical point of view, how can a client review each proposal after it has been modified? It would mean a considerable waste of time.

Why not offering a 'proposal preview page' instead, so that one can review everything once again before posting it?

Andrea,

It worked on Elance, so why not here? 

Hi Joachim,

I'm not saying it's a bad idea (and I have never been a freelancer on Elance).

In any case I'm sure there must be sort of a narrow 'time limit' for a freelancer to change his mind. Maybe it can be an optional feature useful for clients that are not in a rush and can wait (a few hours/days/months?) before looking through the entire set of proposals.

I always prefer spending 10 more minutes reviewing my cover letter rather than blaming myself for any mistake discovered when it's too late.

There are things we can work around, and there are things we can not work around.

I get that there are people accustomed to being able to edit job proposals after submitting them, but the already-available work-arounds (proofreading one's proposal before sending it, or withdrawing it and submitting a new version) are so simple, it makes it hard for me to think of this feature request as a very high priority.

I don't think adding post-submission editing would break Upwork, so if some contractors really want it... I don't see it as a big deal.

But I don't think this benefits clients, and that's a key consideration.

As a client, I don't want to look at multiple versions of a contractor's proposal.

I also don't want contractors to hurriedly submit something so they can be "first in line", and then think they can take time to more thoughtfully write something different.

As a contractor, I think this would be a crutch that would be tactically unsound to use. I would not use post-submission editing for three reasons:

If I submit a proposal with mistakes and omissions, how do I know the client won't read the proposal immediately after I sent it, and make a decision about me before I can edit it? I have no way of knowing that. Better to proofread my submission before sending it and make a good first impression.

Second, I don't want to spend time fretting about my submission after it has been sent. Better to submit a job proposal and move on, not looking back. If I hear from that client, great. But I am not scheduling around a job I simply applied for. I don't want to "wait by the phone" nor do I want to read over my submission AFTER I send it.

Third: The client is busy, has lots of things to do, and does not carefully look at every aspect of each submission. Nor does the client carefully look at attached files. Most attached files from most applicants probably aren't viewed at all. The change you want to make? Probably won't make a difference. For all you know, the client may be choosing a contractor based only on hourly rate and portfolio items.

Hi Preston,

You make some very valid points, with good solid reasoning, as you do in most of your posts in here.

But I just depair sometimes - it seems whenever someone makes a suggestion as to a feature they would like, then how much of a possibility that it can be abused by freelancers or used inappropriately to gain some kind of unfair advantage seems to become the main deciding factor as to whether it should be implemented..

I imagine all the processes on Upwork can be 'gamed' somehow.

This 'assumption' that processes can and will be abused - so let's not implement it, I think, reflects badly on the Upwork platform and its reputation.

It works perfectly well on another Freelancer platform - and I never saw any complaints of freelancers gaming the post proposal editing option in it's forum.

Let's at least have a 'Preview before send' option - I'd be happy with that as a compromise.

@Chris M wrote:

Hi Preston,

You make some very valid points, with good solid reasoning, as you do in most of your posts in here.

But I just depair sometimes - it seems whenever someone makes a suggestion as to a feature they would like, then how much of a possibility that it can be abused by freelancers or used inappropriately to gain some kind of unfair advantage seems to become the main deciding factor as to whether it should be implemented..

I imagine all the processes on Upwork can be 'gamed' somehow.

This 'assumption' that processes can and will be abused - so let's not implement it, I think, reflects badly on the Upwork platform and its reputation.

It works perfectly well on another Freelancer platform - and I never saw any complaints of freelancers gaming the post proposal editing option in it's forum.

Let's at least have a 'Preview before send' option - I'd be happy with that as a compromise.

Yes, Preston always comes up with valid points but I have yet to see him agreeing to a single suggestion making life a bit easier for the freelancer and removing even a tiny bit of Upwork's bias towards clients.

Anything can be gamed or abused it didn't happen on Elance, I haven't seen it on PPH or Guru either. 

I'm not sure how far the potential for abuse runs here.  I admit, the first time I submitted a proposal with an error, I was a little horror-struck that I couldn't repair the damage I had done.  I then had a good laugh at my own expense about how the client would view my sloppy writing skills in my proposal where I professed to be an eagle-eye editor (not that I used those words...) Since then, I have just been really really careful.  I think the "edit" feature can be a crutch. Not that that's a bad thing, but I guess out of all the UpWork issues that I've encountered since the Great Migration of 2015, this doesn't really rank up there for me as terribly concerning.  

Just put all my messages together in chronological order without all this "room" nonsense, put all my bids/providers on the same page when I view my posted jobs, add a way for clients to close the contract when they release a milestone instead of the not-so-subtle "fund the next milestone" campaign, and allow clients AND providers to add/change milestones so that busy clients aren't required to learn how to use this crazy interface.  Oh, and fix those blasted search algorithms!

Only then will I find true happiness.

It did work on Elance, and I can't see how it could be open to abuse as people on other threads have suggested.

Andrea, I think it would be less polishing a proposal than fixing a really bad error - or omission. I have edited bids (and I have always told the potential client at the top of the original proposal why) and I have nearly always had an acknowledgement and on a couple of occasions, have won the job.

A client may have liked your proposal, but have put it aside because you forgot to add a sample file or to put "Bugs Bunny" at the top of your bid ("so that I know you have read my offer") before hitting 'send'. No one is perfect and this sort of thing often happens. Recently, a new freelancer bid on a job where the client wanted three samples. The freelancer thinking she had attached three, sent her bid without  realizing that Upwork only allows one file per proposal, She was unable to amend this.

(Slightly off topic: If the freelancer had been able to see what she had attached before sending, she might have seen there was only one file attached - another feature that I am sure Upwork could fix.) 

Edited to add: I agree that a proposal preview page would be good. That was also something Elance had.

Nichola,

it does make sense. And after all, if it did work on Elance, I shouldn't be worried, right? 

But again, if I am a client and I'm in a rush, I can't really wait until 234997 freelancers have re-re-re-reviewed their proposals (it's a borderline case, I know, I know)... I just wanted to point out that a time limit for any editing could make sense as well. My two cents.

Just a question (I may be wrong on this): do the new features for the paid members include the possibility to view the bids of other freelancers for the same job? If this is the case then it wouldn't like the idea... then someone will have the possibility to change his/her bid? 

Andrea, no contractor can read what other contractors wrote in a job proposal, regardless of whether or not they have a paid membership.

Paid members are able to see the highest bid dollar amount, the lowest bid dollar amount, and the average. That's it, according to Upwork's documentation about premium membership benefits.

As a former freelancer and buyer on Elance, I can assure everyone that clients did not see multiple copies of a proposal if it was updated. Instead, we saw one proposal and received an email notification if it was modified.

To my knowledge, no client ever complained about "abuse" of the system. Therefore, I see no reason why the change couldn't be made at UW.

I can't speak for other buyers, but my chief hiring criteria are skills, work experience, feedback and budget. Being first to bid is not a consideration, and neither is modification of the original proposal.

@Nichola L wrote:

It did work on Elance, and I can't see how it could be open to abuse as people on other threads have suggested.

Andrea, I think it would be less polishing a proposal than fixing a really bad error - or omission. I have edited bids (and I have always told the potential client at the top of the original proposal why) and I have nearly always had an acknowledgement and on a couple of occasions, have won the job.

A client may have liked your proposal, but have put it aside because you forgot to add a sample file or to put "Bugs Bunny" at the top of your bid ("so that I know you have read my offer") before hitting 'send'. No one is perfect and this sort of thing often happens. Recently, a new freelancer bid on a job where the client wanted three samples. The freelancer thinking she had attached three, sent her bid without  realizing that Upwork only allows one file per proposal, She was unable to amend this.

(Slightly off topic: If the freelancer had been able to see what she had attached before sending, she might have seen there was only one file attached - another feature that I am sure Upwork could fix.) 

Edited to add: I agree that a proposal preview page would be good. That was also something Elance had.

Nichola,

There's another reason. Often the jobspecification let's say "leaves room for improvement". Yes, I can send an initial proposal and ask the the client the necessary details. I can then withdraw and send a new proposal. Connects are ample but not that ample. On the other hand, client's not providing sufficient details in their RFP also don't reply. 

This should be an option and dont really get why its even up for debate, when you can edit your bid no problem.

I just sent my proposal forgetting to answer a question, so now my proposal is most likely getting binned right away.

Yes, I've got to say that the lack of ANY means of dealing with the need to correct a proposal has shaken my faith in Upwork.  

My simple suggestion:  Allow proposal submitter the ability to reply to their original proposal.  Either once or multiple times.     

Back to the original question about editing proposals...

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but although proposals can't be edited, there is a time window (indeterminate but I tested it up to an hour once) within which you can wirhdraw your application (giving a reason such as "re-applying"), and submit a new one. The downside of course is two extra connects lost, but if the job's that important it can be done.

Stephen,

I am sorry to report that applying this method to a private invitation "archives" the original proposal, and loses the link to reapply.

Best,
Michael

artur

guys, seriously.. its 2016 not 1999. please enable Proposal Editing after it is submitted.

Human Error still exists last time i checked. 

Just add a 1min time-limit on edits before they get to the client. DONE.

and im not the only one asking for this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Option-to-edit-proposals-after-sending/m-p/152366#M82908

thanks

Just to make this conversation more interesting I have found that the client can change the job requirements after proposals have been made.  Now I have proposals in that dont match the clients request and I cant change it.