Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYMENT SCAMS

charmainel
Charmaine L Member Since: Sep 6, 2016
1 of 8

Hi,

Been member now for less than a week and have been scammed twice.  If client wants my bank details, who do I give it to?

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
2 of 8

NO ONE!

Give your bank account details to your dog (verbally); to your non-drinking, non-gambling, faithful spouse of 30-plus years (if the account balance is less than $500); to your bonded attorney in coded form. Give your bank account details to your mortgage company--but only when you are certain it really, truly, absolutely IS your mortgage company.

Do NOT give your bank account details to random individuals on the internet whom you have never met, and most likely never will meet, in person. Yes, even if they take the time to post a paragraph that promises you a job. That's a pretty low bar, right? I mean, it's about as difficult to clear that bar as to post an ad on Craigslist offering to give away a moldy sofa.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 8

Added to which, read the help pages (all the help pages for new freelancers), Upwork's Term of Service - particularly - this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/m-p/240833#M783

charmainel
4 of 8

Thank you.  Just got so excited, thought brilliant getting a job so quickly and then they asked me for bank details and all the red flags exploded.  To top it all, she got so rude when I declined.  The company she said she's from also looked very legit.  These people are very clever.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 8

Charmaine, *please* read the thread Nichola posted, which has a lot of great info about how to protect yourself from scams. There's NO reason a client will need your bank account info. Apart from protecting the security of your account, accepting payment outside of Upwork is a MAJOR violation of the ToS and could get your account banned.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 8

They don't need your personal information.  Upwork needs it, not the "client".

You don't need to pay anything to buy equipment or whatever to work on Upwork.

Never accept payment except through the platform, especially if they want to mail you a check.

Clients on Upwork don't pay benefits, overtime, etc.

Clients can talk to you through Upwork.  Google Hangouts is a huge red flag, especiall for newbies.

And never start working until you have accepted a contract through UPwork and the job shows on your "MY JOBS" tab.

The scammers often use the names of well-known companies, so don't get tricked by that.

Hope this helps.  Read everything you can on how Upworks so you can protect yourself.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8

re: "The company she said she's from also looked very legit."

It sounds like you googled the name of the company the client named.

Never do that. Scammers WANT their marks to google those names. That is one of the key ways that scammers trick newbies.

Newbies SHOULD NOT google client names or company names.

charmainel
8 of 8

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate all the info.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS