🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » PAYMENTS AND TAXES FOR TEMPORARY CANADIAN RES...
Page options
a7d07919
Community Member

PAYMENTS AND TAXES FOR TEMPORARY CANADIAN RESIDENTS

Hi guys,

so I am aware that as a Temporary Canadian resident without a Business number, Upwork will tax all my earnings and that's fine with me. But when I'm filing my taxes do I still need to account for any money I make on Upwork since Upwork already taxed me?

also,

is my SIN number equivalent to A GST Number?

2 REPLIES 2
ArjayM

Hi Adaobi,

I'm sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. I have escalated your concern and one of our team members will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can check here or your email for updates.

~ Arjay
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Adaobi Vivian P wrote:

Hi guys,

so I am aware that as a Temporary Canadian resident without a Business number, Upwork will tax all my earnings and that's fine with me. But when I'm filing my taxes do I still need to account for any money I make on Upwork since Upwork already taxed me?

Upwork does NOT tax your earnings. They charge you a percentage as their service charge and then add GST to that service charge, but that doesn't cover your income taxes at all, so yes, if you need to file taxes in Canada then you need to disclose your Upwork earnings. If you're a temporary resident, you may get all or some of that back (or not need to file at all), but you'd need to talk to an tax advisor about it; Upwork's customer service isn't going to be able to provide you with any tax advice. 

Adaobi Vivian P wrote:

is my SIN number equivalent to A GST Number?

No, your SIN number has nothing to do with GST. I believe you only have to charge GST to your clients if your income is over a certain amount, but you need to look into all of this, whether you need to register your business and how to do proper bookkeeping.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members