Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF | How to Succeed as a Content Writer

Highlighted
Community Leader
Andy H Member Since: May 11, 2016
1 of 19

Good morning, folks.

I’ve created a PDF guide on how to succeed as a content writer (link below). It’s completely free and doesn’t have any affiliate links or other offers embedded into the content.

All I ask in return is a little feedback or constructive criticism from those who read it.

Thank you in advance,

Andy H

Highlighted
Community Leader
2 of 19

Bump

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 19

Andy H wrote:

Bump

I would not add a PDF (may not even be possible), just copy and paste it into a post if you like. People come to the forum to read posts, not open PDFs.

Highlighted
Community Leader
4 of 19

I just want to know if it's permissible, Petra, that's all.

If it is, then I'll upload the file if the system lets me. I don't like to assume with stuff I'm unsure about, hence the message.

Best regards,

Andy H

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 19

Try it and see, Andy.

If there's a prohibition one of the moderators will remove it. Or they might recommend you post it on a different board, such as here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/bd-p/break_room

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
6 of 19

Okay, thank you, Will Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Drew D Member Since: Feb 18, 2020
7 of 19

Hi Andy,

There is some useful advice in here. I like the discussion of the trap of charging middle-range rates. However, I don't agree with the following: 

"Set the minimum you’re willing to write for as a new freelancer. Aim for $10-15+ per
1000 words for straightforward projects, and $15–20+ for research writing. It’s
ultimately up to you, but don’t jump in too low, or you may end up stuck in a rut."

I realise that this might be a reasonable rate in countries with a very low cost-of-living. However, this is far too low, even as an entry rate, to recommend for writers in higher-cost countries. This would result in a pro-rata wage far lower than the minimum wage. 

In addition, no matter where you live, there is a major risk to starting that low: Your earnings per job send a signal that you are a low-cost freelancer, which can make it hard to transition into higher-paid jobs.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

I now see why you wanted to attach the PDF, clearly you made a ral effort and the content is beautifully presented. It looks like something I would enjoy reading.

I don't have time to read it properly right now, but look forward to reading it when my deadline is (hopefully) met

I fully agree with Drew about the prices you suggest. Too low for native speakers.

The whole "$10 to $15 for 1000 words" thing is likely why some clients faint when I tell them I'd charge them $100 to translate their stuff... lol.

Highlighted
Jerry U Member Since: Jun 21, 2020
9 of 19
Thanks immensely Drew D. for this tip. I am new to Upwork platform, though I have been writing elsewhere. That has been a bugging question in my mind.
Pls, if you don't mind, 'What are the chances one have in landing his/her first Upwork job considering one have no testimonials yet?
Thanks
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Drew D Member Since: Feb 18, 2020
10 of 19

Hi Jerry, 

Unfortunately, due to the current economic crisis, there is a lot of competition for jobs right now.  However, all of us started with zero reviews at one point in time, so it's perfectly doable. 

Having a brief look at your profile, I would say: 

-get verifiable testimonials relating to your writing from outside Upwork and put them on your profile; 

-add portfolio pieces from other writing you have done; 

-optimise your profile. You have excellent experience in risk and quality management, but this is a bit lost in your profile as you are advertising your ability to write everything. I would make your profile more targeted to a few areas (e.g. science and risk management). 

Once that is done, focus on applying for jobs specific to your area and where you have demonstrable experience. I work on similar topics to you, and not many writers have first-hand experience in risk and financial management, so you could be a good candidate. Make your expertise very clear in your proposal. 

Last, but not least, proofread your profile and all your proposals very carefully. There are mistakes in your profile, even in the first sentence (for example "with focus at detecting errors and expunging ambiguities" should be "with focus on detecting errors and expunging ambiguities"). This is especially important as you advertise yourself as an expert proofreader.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS