cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE! Let Freelancer's Contact Clients for Clarification Prior to Using Connect Points!!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
31 of 46

Bill H wrote:

@ Petra - Under your suggestions, because not all freelancing is alike, many excellent and productive freelancers would be removed. I believe you sub-consciously chose retention characteristics that would benefit you.

I didn't say it should be done, I did not "make a suggestion" - I mentioned it (more as a warning, to be honest) because if Upwork didn't start charging, that would be (and still may have to be) an alternative to achieve what needs to be achieved.

It also isn't without precedence, they did a purge back in.., 2014? 2015? It wasn't enough.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
32 of 46

1) Well maybe now that they are changing the connects system they should have a way to get clients to provide more information. I want to get what I pay for with connects even if they don't cost much which to me is seeing a decent description for what I am bidding on and applying for it. I am perfectly fine with paying more for connects as are most but something does need to be done about the lack of descriptions on job postings either way and clients using $5000+ as a placeholder bid. 

2) You are right and I do see it as a business expense that is actually fine for me, but it is actually wasting the connect if you bid on any job with lack of description. Fine then don't right? Well there are a ton of places Even the clients who have lack of description deserve their job to be looked at, but it can't be unless they give me details. So I don't see the problem with trying to find ways to make that happen. I do not think having a chat window will work for multiple reasons but especially that freelancers will drive clients nuts, but there are things upworks can do like what Gary/Denise mentioned about having actual FAQs that freelancers typically ask at the client's disposal and having it so they need to write so many words, etc. Whatever works best in that regard. If upworks are changing the way it works with connects they really should fix this description problem too so freelancers have that information to make a good bid and proposal that is tailored to the client's needs. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
33 of 46

I've always thought the best way to handle this would be to add a flag for "insufficient information" and then have an automated message go out to the client after a few flags that said something like, "Freelancers are reporting that your job posting does not contain sufficient information to make an informed bid. Add detail to get better and more targeted proposals."

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 46

I think that is also good Tiffany, but I do also think the FAQs thing I mentioned would be good for clients because it helps them learn what questions freelancers normally have so they can utilize it to make excellent postings and freelancers can make tailored proposals based on those answers. Just having a flag and then informing the client how they didn't do good enough doesn't help them get to the goal of knowing what they should tell freelancers to help them make tailored proposals. Your idea does help Upworks recognize it though and perhaps they could email them a link to a FAQs like I proposed or like how Denise mentioned. 

I think a key is to get clients to their goals by helping them provide the information and educating them on the best way to do that in order for them to get the right freelancers applying for their jobs while also feeling confident that they will discover good freelancers on Upworks. 

Just flagging them and having Upworks tell them "hey this isn't enough info" may just scare them off but giving them information on the things they could tell a freelancer to help their job will make them feel more confident in the platform and thus in the freelancers they will be trying to hire. It will also help them in making any future posts because they will be much more informed on the type of questions freelancers have for  the specific job type. 

From the client's prespective they just want an easy way to post the job and get freelancers talking to them about their project and the method of having an optional FAQ they can read right next to them as they make a job post is a good tool to have. Flagging them will help too in the way you said as long as they understand what they should do to make changes to the post so it is more informative. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
35 of 46

Amanda, I agree with you that it would be a useful resource, but I have two concerns. The first is that I believe the vast majority of clients wouldn't bother to read it, even after being advised that more information was needed. The second is that Upwork has a tendency to lump things that don't really relate together and miss critical distinctions (the other day, I saw a java developer mention having been grilled by Upwork staff about a javascript concept in his verification call, for instance). Unless someone with experience in each field were appointed to head up that effort, it could easily do more harm than good. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
36 of 46

You are right there will certainly still be clients who don't use it, but if you keep pointing at it to clients that keep having issues, then you will see some improvements and there will be those who use it. You could really say that about anything that upworks adds, that people might not use it, but from a user experience it makes sense to have. Reddit does something similar and it does actually cut down a lot of garbage posts people make. They have something with FAQs to help people understand how to use the forum properly for different subjects.

If you place an FAQs right next to the job post form and clearly point it out and make it prominent, I am positive there will be clients looking at iti who aren't sure about what to ask. This could at the very least be tested! 

This would be an instance where it would be nice to have and create an actual good, searchable FAQs for each industry that has relavent information so clients can have it at their disposal. I am talking here about having simple bullet point suggestions of things to ask for different project types. 

About Upworks inability to understand what certain job types do, there are people here who already volunteered to help give some reliable FAQs for their respective profession and I am sure some others wouldn't mind giving that information so they can get descriptive posts from clients. To add, these basic questions for most jobs can easily be linked to or just used as a resource to make these questions (I'd have experienced people look it over though in a survey or something) 

I don't see how it could be a bad thing if it is done properly. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
37 of 46

Amanda - You should be running UpWork. I don't say that in jest. You are one bright, intelligent woman who actually "gets it". 

ThumbsUpCoolSmileySmall.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
38 of 46

Nah, lol. I feel like everyone's suggestions here have been good and could help. Tiffany and others had some really good ideas too and that flagging thing would help and I do think a FAQs for clients would help. I just hope Upworks reads this stuff and considers ways to improve it from what has been suggested.

Ideas are good to put in the forum in general and if they see ideas they like I am sure they'll test them. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
39 of 46

< I've always thought the best way to handle this would be to add a flag for "insufficient information" and then have an automated message go out to the client after a few flags that said something like, "Freelancers are reporting that your job posting does not contain sufficient information to make an informed bid. Add detail to get better and more targeted proposals." >

EXCELLENT suggestion! It'll never happen but excellent suggestion nevertheless. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 46

Same here, I would be happy to write what different graphic design jobs typically need to get started. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS