🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » PRIVACY VIOLATION: The Client Is Asking For M...
Page options
sterrelonge
Community Member

PRIVACY VIOLATION: The Client Is Asking For My Upwork Registered Email Address

Hello Upwork Community, 

I just got a notification from Upwork that one of my clients is asking for my Upwork registered email address. I use this email account for my personal banking and with all the cybercrime, I do not want to receive any random stuff there. I have to protect myself. Here's what the message says (in part):

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The email had NOTHING included for me to contact a live human being about this matter of my privacy. The bot is useless as it does not have this option. 

Can an Upwork Community Guru help me, please? I already gave the client my alternate, non-banking email address that I use to complete their work via Google Documents. 

I also asked the client why they are asking for my registered Upwork registered email address when I already gave them the email address I use for client work. They have not responded as yet. 

Can someone help me, please? I do NOT understand this at all! If they need me to sign an NDA, then why not send it via the email address I gave them or even send it via Upwork's messaging system? Why try to violate my privacy? Thanks a lot for your replies. 

Sincerely, 

Sophia. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sophia,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I would like to confirm that our team has reached out to you via ticket and email where you can follow up at any time with more information or questions.
Your ticket number is 33667150 and you can access it on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

You are free to reply to the notice saying "No, I do not consent you handing that email address over to the client".

The client may or may not decide to continue the contract.

Is the client an Enterprise client by the way?

Hello Petra, 

I have no idea how to check that fact once I am already under contract.

That client info section is all grayed-out. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sophia,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I would like to confirm that our team has reached out to you via ticket and email where you can follow up at any time with more information or questions.
Your ticket number is 33667150 and you can access it on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks a lot, Goran!

By the way, is this link that you posted in the community thread exclusive to me?

I wouldn't like to share all my previous requests with the whole world! lol!

Hi Sophia,

The link I posted here will take you to the ticket section where you can view your own tickets. Rest assured, no one else is able to view your tickets or any other details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, Goran!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Just asking for something is not a privacy violation, since you are free to decline the request. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members