Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

PUBLIC

clark_tammara
Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
1 of 18

My profile is somehow private how can I make it public?

melaniemaghanoy
Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

Hi Tammara,

 

If your profile has been set to private due to a lack of earnings, there are several simple ways to have it reset to public. To learn more, log into your Upwork account and you’ll see a pop-up notification with your options. We also send all affected freelancers an email notification, which you can refer to for your options. Finally, you also can see your options by clicking on the “Find Work” tab and clicking on your “Visibility” status under the “My Profile” overview on the right side of the page.

 

You may also find this link helpful.

View solution in original post

challamzinnia
Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
3 of 18

I hope it's ok that I jump on this same thread - if not I will gladly create a new one of my own.

I received this email that indicated my profile was taken off public status due to a lack of income. I have earned over $70k in the last calendar year on Upwork. I have an individual contractor profile as well as a paid Agency profile. I just received a Top Rated badge about a month ago, with a 100% customer satisfaction score. I have been checking my job feed several times per day for projects that looked like a good fit to submit bids. I have submitted bids. I have received a couple of invitations to bid, and have responded to them all. I am currently interviewing for 1 project. And yet I was told, by a support agent in a live chat, that the reason they removed the public status of my profile was because it was not a paid individual account.

Really??? I am a paid account - I pay TWICE as much per month for the agency listing. I am the owner of the agency and have it tied to my individual contractor profile.

Considering the practice of auto-removing the public display of my profile hurts me, I cannot receive invitations to bid, and no longer show up in search results... I think this is a very poor practice and is really skewed that it happened to me as what appears to be a way to "encourage" me to double pay for two accounts...

I'd really like a response to this matter directly from Upwork - I bring this issue to the forums because, while the support staff on live chat was friendly and returned the public status to my profile - they had no authority to really address the issue or my complaint - and so I have to assume that within some amount of time, unless I land a project, this will all happen again. NOT COOL.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 18

Christopher H wrote:

 

Considering the practice of auto-removing the public display of my profile hurts me, I cannot receive invitations to bid, and no longer show up in search results...


How does it "hurt" you?  Clients you apply to still see your profile as per normal. It takes a minte to have it set back to public.

 


Christopher H wrote:

And yet I was told, by a support agent in a live chat, that the reason they removed the public status of my profile was because it was not a paid individual account.


No, it is because you have not earned money for 30 days.

 


Christopher H wrote:

I have to assume that within some amount of time, unless I land a project, this will all happen again. NOT COOL.


Yes, if you don't earn any money for 30 days, it will happen again and yes, it will take another minute to ask for it to be set to public again.

 

There is little point in having an agency plus account considering you are the only one in your agency.

You also appear to have an individual plus account as you have a personalised profile url, so as long as you keep that your profile won't go private again anyway.

 

challamzinnia
Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
5 of 18

Upwork boasts about how many projects are never made available to be bid on outside invitations to bid. And since I've gotten my Top Rated badge I have received invitations for a couple projects - one of them was not public. Do you really not understand how this hurts me? It removes me from search results - and potentially costs me an invitation. Or multiple.

"It only takes a minute to come to the site and get your profile made public again..." A site I have a paid membership with, and have outperformed the vast majority of contractors with (significant income already and 100% satisfaction rating), and have to reset my profile to public, once a month if I have no income, just to ensure I can still be located in searches to receive invitations -- and that sounds ok to you?

The support staff on the live chat specifically told me that any account that is not a paid account and that has no income for a month gets this - would you like me to copy/paste the chat transcript here for you?

challamzinnia
Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
6 of 18

**Edited for community guidelines**

 

I have very specific and valid reasons for maintaining both the individual and agency profile, but thanks for your business savvy and suggestions.

 

Really, I'd like to get a response from someone employed by Upwork so I can take this discussion offline and to a manner where real communication can occur.

 

Edit to add:

I have earned just over $70k in the last 10 or so months through this website. Of that amount, Upwork has taken their percentage.

I have a paid Agency account which costs twice as much per month as a paid individual account.

For that alone I do not expect Upwork to just decide to remove my profile from search results - a potentially very valuable source of being invited to bid on private projects; simply because I haven't pulled income in the last calendar month through the site. That's absurd that they would do this.

**Edited for community guidelines** What I need is for someone from Upwork directly to reach out to me offline so I can have an intelligent discussion about this matter.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 18

Christopher H wrote:

 

Really, I'd like to get a response from someone employed by Upwork so I can take this discussion offline and to a manner where real communication can occur.


I'm sure you'll get one soon - it will be "Thank you for your feedback, we will share it with the team" - the same as with all the hundreds of others over the years who **Edited for Community Guidelines**

bstojadinovic
Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
8 of 18

Hi Christopher,

 

If an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private. This is checked daily, not once a month. If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently. There are different ways of setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
challamzinnia
Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
9 of 18

Petra R wrote:

Christopher H wrote:

 

Considering the practice of auto-removing the public display of my profile hurts me, I cannot receive invitations to bid, and no longer show up in search results...


How does it "hurt" you?  Clients you apply to still see your profile as per normal. It takes a minte to have it set back to public.

 


Christopher H wrote:

And yet I was told, by a support agent in a live chat, that the reason they removed the public status of my profile was because it was not a paid individual account.


No, it is because you have not earned money for 30 days.

 


Christopher H wrote:

I have to assume that within some amount of time, unless I land a project, this will all happen again. NOT COOL.


Yes, if you don't earn any money for 30 days, it will happen again and yes, it will take another minute to ask for it to be set to public again.

 

There is little point in having an agency plus account considering you are the only one in your agency.

You also appear to have an individual plus account as you have a personalised profile url, so as long as you keep that your profile won't go private again anyway.

 


In regards to the two statements from you that I've highlighted in red - so which is it then? You completely contradict yourself in these two statement. You say it is not because I am an unpaid account, then go on to say I am a paid account so it will not happen again as long as I maintain that status.I conducted a live chat on the site with a support rep. And he told me, I quote:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Note the portion I have highlighted in bold. Broken English aside, he very clearly is stating that income within a month would negate this from happening, as would a paid individual account. Both statements that you have made to me here as well, contradictions of yours notwithstanding.

 

And just for factual clarity - my agency profile is paid. My individual profile is not. It was, up until I created the agency profile - at which time Upwork reverted the individual account to a non-paid account (not something I requested for them to do - just something that was a byproduct of the new account I suppose). That is most likely why the individual account has the personalized url that you saw.

 

To comment on your statement that I have highlighted in green:

  • Are you informed on how I have entered an EIN for the agency listing, and an SSN for the individual listing? Do you have knowledge of how I handle my income, my finances, or my tax filings, based on said separate accounts? Of course you don't - how could you?
  • Are you aware of how I target specific projects with each profile? What type of project I target? How I approach bids differently from each profile? How each profile has specific function and use for me? Again, of course you don't - how could you?

Yet you assumed to have enough information to tell me how to manage my profiles, and ultimately, my consulting business. You should consider the fact that there may be many details you don't know before posting this type of, frankly ignorant, comment in a public forum.

 

---

 


Petra R wrote:

Christopher H wrote:

 

Really, I'd like to get a response from someone employed by Upwork so I can take this discussion offline and to a manner where real communication can occur.


I'm sure you'll get one soon - it will be "Thank you for your feedback, we will share it with the team" - the same as with all the hundreds of others over the years who **Edited for Community Guidelines**


**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

---

 


Bojan S wrote:

Hi Christopher,

 

If an established freelancer doesn't earn money on Upwork for 30 days, their profile visibility will automatically change to private. This is checked daily, not once a month. If you aren't regularly earning on our platform, your profile may be set to private, even if you submit proposals and interview frequently. There are different ways of setting your profile to public again, one of which is contacting us directly so that we can set your profile visibility to public.

 

Thank you.


Bojan, I thank you for joining the thread. I understand the policy, mostly. I still have yet to receive a difinitive answer on whether or not this is only because I didn't draw income during the period, or whether it was because I am not a paid account.

 

My point is this: This is my consulting business. It is my livelihood. And I don't take that lightly. By forcing my profile out of a public state, Upwork has denied me any chance to show up in search results - which can potentially cost me invitations to bid on private projects. That is a very real statement and I don't believe it can be denied or refuted. The justification for Upwork doing this, that I had no income draw from the site in 30 days (if that is in fact the only justification) - is in no way reasonable. I have contributed tens of thousands of dollars to Upwork, and have done so by participating in their platform to a perfect standard, exactly as they would hope I would do. And as a thank you, they strip me from all search results. Do they assume that because I haven't pulled an income draw in 30 days that I must not be working any longer? Do they assume that they are my only and absolute source of clients and work? Or that if I haven't performed work in the last 30 days that I must not be looking and do not wish to be included in search results? None of those assumptions would be correct. And I stand by my position firmly that I feel this is an offensive move on the part of Upwork and a terrible way to treat the very contractors whose hard work gives them life in the first place.

 

All I want is to gain the eye of Upwork, and to open dialog on this matter.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 18

buddy, just pay the premium membership cost each month or you have to earn money every month. That's your options.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS