Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
1 of 110

So, I've been using the Paid Connects system for a while now, as we all are because we are basically forced to.

And after sending tens and tens of applications through all this time, I noticed something.

I work on the audiovisual creative industries. Video and audio production, editing, post-production, compression, conversion, vlogs, podcasts... You get the idea.

And one thing I've noticed is that, based on my rough calculations, it really doesn't matter if it's a fixed-price (and how big is the budget) or an hourly-based contract. If is a one-time task, a short-term or a long-term. If they are looking for an entry level, and intermediate or an expert. The skills and expertise they are looking for and the preferred qualifications. The activity on the job. The client's history (including if they are new, they are posting they first job and their payment method is still NOT verified).

It really doesn't matter. 19 out of 20 jobs will require 6 connects to apply. The remaining one, 4.

So, as the support members around the forum are tired to said, the system automatically returns how many connects are needed to apply, based on the result delivered by the mix of all those elements.

And here's the problem, because it really doesn't matter the values, the system is setted to basically always request 6 connects.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 110

yes, it takes 6 connects to bid so you should prolly just budget 6 per bid when you buy them

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
3 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

And here's the problem, because it really doesn't matter the values, the system is setted to basically always request 6 connects.

I agree with you, this system is deceitful and misleading, I completely support your idea of changing it to a fixed 6 connects per proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 110

There WAS an admirable purity when Upwork did NOT charge money for connects.

It is impossible for me to honestly say whether or not I would start up with Upwork as a brand new freelancer at this point.

I say this even though I understand the reason for charging money for connects, and even though I know that Upwork is not doing so in order "steal money" from freelancers.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Charles M Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
5 of 110

Actually, Preston, you bring up a good point.  Upwork isn't "stealing" from us . . . we only pay if we choose to use their service.  That's called commerce.   Am I happy with the extra charges?  Of course not, but if I willingly pay them, I can't rightfully consider it theft.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
9 of 110

UpWork already takes a % from what we earn. Following your example of the store, is like being charged to enter into the store first, regardless if they actually are stocked with what we wanna buy or not.

If not, well, you are not getting your money back. And if they do then you are paying again to buy it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

UpWork already takes a % from what we earn. Following your example of the store, is like being charged to enter into the store first, regardless if they actually are stocked with what we wanna buy or not.

If not, well, you are not getting your money back. And if they do then you are paying again to buy it.

If that were true, it would be like Costco or Sam's Club--two very popular shopping chains in the U.S.

But, of course, it is not true...because you see the "stock" (the job postings) before you decide whether to spend any money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
9 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

In which case you should perhaps consider just not going to that store? 

Highlighted
Daniel D Member Since: Feb 3, 2018
9 of 110

Well just to play devils advocate on that, plenty of business models work on the basis of an entry fee and seperate ppurchase fees, and I think it is good to charge people for connects as it stops endless spam applications.

2 things I'd like to point out...

1. the connects are charged at an arbitrary level based on what a client thinks their job is (and this includes the magical price that they think its worth - almost never the case). The connect fee uses the information put into the system by the client to come up with one of 3 numbers (why 2,4,6 was chosen is not clear... (myabe it is the start of a chant; 2,4,6,8 upwork fees are f*kin great) half the time a client will put in expert level, less than a month, 10-30 hours as they are trying to ballpark it. This almost certainly results in the maximum connect fee.

2. Once again, this charge is weighted on the freelancer and doesn't solve the problem of having quality workers apply for quality jobs. It does mean that people will have to buy connects to apply for jobs (and in theory since they are willing to pay, they are at least putting their money where their skills are) , but there is nothing to convince or encourage the client to post a clear job with reasonable expectations at a fair renumerance. 

Since the new connect charges rolled out the only noticable difference is that my connect balance goes down quicker. You can be top rated, up and coming, best in your field but the connect change wont solve a single thing unless Upwork addresses both sides of the problem - client and freelancer.

Highlighted
Sam T Member Since: Aug 19, 2017
10 of 110

strongly agreed

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS