Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 110

Cherie S wrote:

I beg to differ on that, there is so much competition especially with the freelancers offering ridiculously low ball bids that some of us have to put in more proposals hoping to get a hit or a look. If you cannot see that yourself then you are obviously blind. Just like there are many you can bid on and never hear anything back on and some it has been weeks or a month later. I am sorry, but I can't sit there idle wondering and waiting I have to keep looking and submitting proposals. I don't have a offer fairy throwing projects at me. So go ahead come back with another rude comment. Just because you have been blessed, don't mean some of us are not working on climbing up on that high horse you are already on.

I am a sole supporter of a 4 year old and a disabled husband. I don't want sympathy, but when I pay a $14.99 monthly fee and money out of the projects I do get, I have a right to butt heads with the connect idea. I have no problem with the project fees or the $14.99 I NEVER SAID THAT. I just said due to those two facts connects should be unlimited...

Cherie, after this response I was inclined not to bother responding, since most who prefer lashing out to learning are destined to fail. But, on the off chance that you're more interested in making money than in being right, I'll give it a shot.

You, of course, have a "right" to object to anything you like. Just seems to me that your time would be better spent learning to use Upwork profitably as it is than expecting a massive corporation to bend to your will. 

None of the successful Upworkers I know spend any time "waiting and wondering."  And, we don't cover our bases by bidding on every job we might possibly be able to do. We recognize that bidding on Upwork is not like buying a lottery ticket and we bid on the jobs we have a very good chance of being chosen for (and chosen at our preferred rates). 

And yes, we have the "offer fairy" dropping by fairly often in the form of invitations--because our profiles very clearly spell out exactly why a client should hire us over the competition. Or, in some cases, because we've set ourselves up as experts in a narrow enough niche that we have little true competition.

Many people in this thread--people who have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars through Upwork--have expressed these same concepts in different ways and tried to show you how you can be more successful and make more money while bidding less. But, you seem more interested in critiquing our tones and projecting judgment onto us than taking that advice.

Your call. But, given the circumstances you described, it seems quite irresponsible to let the need to push back at us get in the way of earning money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
22 of 110

Brava to Tiffany's post.  Cheri, it is your call.  Take the shared experience and wisdom to heart or continue to flounder.

As to your domestic responsibilities ... we all have financial obligations - most often familial. So stop the pity party and start being proactive.

Highlighted
Violetta E Member Since: Apr 28, 2016
23 of 110

yep, i  started here long before they had all these extra charges and i honestly would not pick this site as a first timer...but it is what it is, we have to earn our keep...i  hope  they make some adjustments that favor freelancers in the future as we already work for peanuts here, 20% service charge fees? its ridiculous when u are doing a small job for a fee of only 40 usd

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
24 of 110
Don’t do it for $40, do it for $50. If you think you will get less work for it at $50, do it for $100. Now you only need half as many clients and the 20% is their problem.
Highlighted
25 of 110

the problems is u end up getting 0 when u get that picky...sometimes u just need to do a job but alot of clients will back off when u start saying u want a higher price, in fact most of them would and they re not aware of the service fees...they simply dont want to work with you when u demand higher pricing, even if you have a solid portfolio and a good standing on the site. The service fee is simply too high for most freelancers, it works if u get a job for 500 USD of course, but those are rare in my experience. A big share of jobs here are small scale.

Highlighted
Community Guru
26 of 110
Violetta,

Nobody wants to pay more when they can pay less. Maybe you are right and you have no choice, but I think I would choose not to bother in that case.

I don’t do what you do where you do it but I bet someone does who can convince a client to pay more, that they are worth more. I could be wrong, I haven’t looked, but if I am right then if they can do it you can.
Highlighted
Shannon B Member Since: May 22, 2020
27 of 110

Violetta E wrote:

the problems is u end up getting 0 when u get that picky...sometimes u just need to do a job but alot of clients will back off when u start saying u want a higher price, in fact most of them would and they re not aware of the service fees...they simply dont want to work with you when u demand higher pricing, even if you have a solid portfolio and a good standing on the site. The service fee is simply too high for most freelancers, it works if u get a job for 500 USD of course, but those are rare in my experience. A big share of jobs here are small scale.

I experience this a lot as a freelance artist, especially on here. The culture of cheap labor really makes it difficult to get good clients who understand the time and skill it takes to create professional artwork. It's a huge shame, really doesn't have to be this way but it's what it is.

Highlighted
Community Guru
28 of 110
Why should it be easy?
Has it not occurred to you if it were easy then everyone would have it easy?
Maybe there is not a culture of cheap labor but a culture of freelancers who want it easy.
Finding good clients should be hard but worth it.
Highlighted
29 of 110

I agree it shouldn't be too easy, but why is it always being blamed on the freelancer? It's not always the freelancer's fault,  i think there s a way to be fair to both sides, the client and the freelancer. Upwork s already made the change about the payment waiting period to make it easier for  us so they seem to understand. I don't doubt they will work on a solution for this issue as well. What makes me sad is the community here mostly blames the freelancers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
30 of 110

Violetta E wrote:

I agree it shouldn't be too easy, but why is it always being blamed on the freelancer? It's not always the freelancer's fault,  i think there s a way to be fair to both sides, the client and the freelancer. Upwork s already made the change about the payment waiting period to make it easier for  us so they seem to understand. I don't doubt they will work on a solution for this issue as well. What makes me sad is the community here mostly blames the freelancers. 

"Blaming" something on a freelancer isn't the same thing as saying that you have choices and you can take responsibility for your own success or failure. People have the option of improving their skills, learning more about marketing, and figuring out which kinds of businesses are hiring right now (and which clients pay the highest rates). I don't see why it's preferable for some freelancers to think that they're just helpless victims of circumstance? I prefer to think that I'm in control; that was a major part of the appeal of running my own business in the first place.

It's true that a lot of clients here just want cheap work; however, you can choose not to work with them and go after the clients with higher budgets (they do exist). If you feel that you're spending too much on connects and not making enough money, then wouldn't it make sense to try and figure out a solution that works for you, instead of waiting for Upwork to fix things for you?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS