cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Violetta E Member Since: Apr 28, 2016
31 of 110

You do make alot of valid points and I do not think we are  playing victums when we just raise concerns about the way things work, we still manage to make  our way with or without the changes being made, we go with it. I just find it very disrespectful the way some of the mods here  talk to people when we are all just trying to figure things out...I'm not trying to say its all up to Upwork, but it is a 50/50 thing in the end  isn't it? One of  the biggest reasons Upwork makes changes  is because  of community feeback, they state that when they send us emails and I appreceate that they pay attention, we are supposed to be helping each other improve...its just some people here who seem to discourage that by just being plain rude. Not all, like I'm not getting that from you right now, but others on here definitely are just disrespectful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
32 of 110

Violetta E wrote:

You do make alot of valid points and I do not think we are  playing victums when we just raise concerns about the way things work... One of  the biggest reasons Upwork makes changes  is because  of community feeback, they state that when they send us emails and I appreceate that they pay attention

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm generally pretty happy with my experiences on Upwork, but that doesn't mean I think that there's no room for improvement. But realistically speaking, I think that when Upwork makes changes, it's in response to comments from clients or because it's good for PR, regardless of how they spin it (and that's fine with me - keeping clients happy is the key to profit here; freelancers, not so much). For example, when they eased up on the connects refund policy, I'm willing to bet that was because some clients were complaining about not getting enough responses, rather than because freelancers were complaining.

This isn't to say that you aren't entitled to your opinion or that you shouldn't make suggestions in the forum, but the connects policy has been around for a whole year now, so maybe it would be more productive for freelancers to accept it (i.e. it's something they can't control), and make adjustments to their own business model instead (something they CAN control).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
33 of 110

Christine A wrote:

Violetta E wrote:

You do make alot of valid points and I do not think we are  playing victums when we just raise concerns about the way things work... One of  the biggest reasons Upwork makes changes  is because  of community feeback, they state that when they send us emails and I appreceate that they pay attention

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm generally pretty happy with my experiences on Upwork, but that doesn't mean I think that there's no room for improvement. But realistically speaking, I think that when Upwork makes changes, it's in response to comments from clients or because it's good for PR, regardless of how they spin it (and that's fine with me - keeping clients happy is the key to profit here; freelancers, not so much). For example, when they eased up on the connects refund policy, I'm willing to bet that was because some clients were complaining about not getting enough responses, rather than because freelancers were complaining.

This isn't to say that you aren't entitled to your opinion or that you shouldn't make suggestions in the forum, but the connects policy has been around for a whole year now, so maybe it would be more productive for freelancers to accept it (i.e. it's something they can't control), and make adjustments to their own business model instead (something they CAN control).

I think the 20% fee hike died out faster than the cheap connects problem, and I could definitely understand the issue for some people with the fee hike. Connects are such a non-issue and it's still making people rage. Freelancers always obsessing over dumb things.

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 110

Jennifer M wrote:

I think the 20% fee hike died out faster than the cheap connects problem, and I could definitely understand the issue for some people with the fee hike. Connects are such a non-issue and it's still making people rage. Freelancers always obsessing over dumb things.

Probably because with the service fee, you only pay a commission on money you've earned, whereas with connects, it's the idea that you have to pay for them before you earn anything.

Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 110

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Probably because with the service fee, you only pay a commission on money you've earned, whereas with connects, it's the idea that you have to pay for them before you earn anything.

That's true. I still don't understand why it's a big deal. lol

Highlighted
Community Guru
36 of 110

Jennifer M wrote:

That's true. I still don't understand why it's a big deal. lol

IDK, sometimes it's the little things. I don't care about connects, but (OT) it has always bugged me that I have to pay a $2 service charge whenever I withdraw my money. Like, I already pay at least a couple hundred in service charges every month, why do they have to impose this petty little extra fee for something that's an automated process? So, I get why you have some freelancers who earn six figures per year and still complain about paying for connects; it's not that they can't afford it, they just resent the extra fees on top of the hundreds (or thousands) of dollars in service charges that they're already paying.

Highlighted
37 of 110

Yeah i mean, i m gona go on making money and following their  policies regardless, I just came here  to put  in a little comment about this  particular issue, then it escalated because one person just had  to be rude, but in the end, what matters is i said my piece...same as anyone here...I don't think arguing or complaining  is productive either...i just wanted to  contribute. Anyway, I thank all the people who have been able to talk productively, there are alot of good suggestions here without the lashback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
38 of 110
It’s not blame.

You can’t make Upwork change. You can’t make clients change. I can’t make you change.
But you can change you.
Mostly what I see is advice about how Upwork works and strategies for working with it. What some see as dismissive is people reacting to ideas that have been proposed over and over again often for years and even things that have been tried and failed. Free connects is a perfect example. They had it, they got rid of if. It didn’t work.
Highlighted
39 of 110

Its not about MAKING anyone change man, its about gathering feedback from many people over a long time and implementing appropriate changes that work for all sides of the table, this is what Upwork and many other platforms have always been doing and contrary to what some people think here, all of our feedback is valuable, they obviously read it and take it in account, I dont think it should be looked down upon and dismissed as some do. Every good company is built from listening and learning from feedback, not just getting mad when someone has a concern. If some of these "Gurus" here ran Upwork, it  wouldn't last a day.

Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 110

Violetta E wrote:

If some of these "Gurus" here ran Upwork, it  wouldn't last a day.

I feel ya there. I sometimes wonder how freelancers can manage the brain power to breathe with some of the suggestions they throw out.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS