Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Daniel D Member Since: Feb 3, 2018
51 of 110

Wait what?

Are you suggesting to make anyone who disagrees with the system and voices their complaints - disappear?

That’s just plain old **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
52 of 110

Daniel D wrote:

Wait what?

Are you suggesting to make anyone who disagrees with the system and voices their complaints - disappear?

I  thought it was quite obviously sarcasm/humor/irony. Not a serious suggestion.  

Highlighted
Violetta E Member Since: Apr 28, 2016
53 of 110

Exactly, its like some of these people here start telling u ur a failure and just complaining instead of actually listening to valid points, i m not telling them how to do their work, if its all fine for them great, but we re all different here and we all have a right to say what we think. Its sad that instead of support, all they do is lash out and start finger pointing, Upwork HAS made some good changes based on community feeback in the past and  they will continue  to do so. Freelancers who just want to tell other freleancers to shut up cuz they have it good are a disgrace to the whole community.

Highlighted
Community Guru
54 of 110

Violetta E wrote:

Exactly, its like some of these people here start telling u ur a failure and just complaining instead of actually listening to valid points, i m not telling them how to do their work, if its all fine for them great, but we re all different here and we all have a right to say what we think. Its sad that instead of support, all they do is lash out and start finger pointing, Upwork HAS made some good changes based on community feeback in the past and  they will continue  to do so. Freelancers who just want to tell other freleancers to shut up cuz they have it good are a disgrace to the whole community.

I highly doubt that freelancers making money are a disgrace to Upwork. Maybe you should change your perspective and actually listen to what's being said to you. No one is telling to shut up. I just gave you some important advice about setting your own rates and not settling, but you just want to complain and blame your problems on someone else instead of take the advice myself and others give about how to be successful and actually become successful. Nothing you are doing is wrong so it MUST be Upwork's fault or someone else's fault. This forum is rife with gurus and successful freelancers explaining how to make the system work. But you all want it handed to you. Good luck with that. 

Highlighted
55 of 110
look i ve been here for over 4 years and I have had my ups and Downs, this thread has many valid comments but urs is not one of them, ur not helping anyone by being rude and inconsiderate to how different everyone s situation is, u just care about what works for u right? Well good luck with that as well
Highlighted
Community Guru
56 of 110

Violetta E wrote:
look i ve been here for over 4 years and I have had my ups and Downs, this thread has many valid comments but urs is not one of them, ur not helping anyone by being rude and inconsiderate to how different everyone s situation is, u just care about what works for u right? Well good luck with that as well

Thanks for proving my point. 

Highlighted
57 of 110

no one believes they re being forced to work, the connects system was made by Upwork, and freelancers  who work here  have to abide by those rules or they leave the site, simple as that, so yes in a way the connect system is not a choice, it is part of being on this site. The only choice u have is whether u want to buy them or not, and thats not a much of a choice cuz of course we need to buy them to continue working, thats the point being made. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
58 of 110

Is kinda weird how lots of people seem to be just waiting for someone to complain about the paid connects system to jump and yell how fair it is, how good it is, how nobody should say anything bad about it, etc.

Thing is that, like almost everybody said, UpWork offers the system. It comes to every single one of us if we are accepting what they offer and use it as it is or not use it at all. They owe us nothing.

But, in the exact same way, they doesn't offer the system for free just to help people. This isn't charity. We are paying to use the system. Twice, and constantly. They gift us nothing. We owe them nothing.

This means two separate things. First, we may be freelancers to our clients, but we are clients to UpWork, and as a client who's paying I have full right to complain if I'm not 100% ok with the provided service. If you are, good for you, but I'm not. And you people can't just come here telling me how I should't complain. 

You don't know my situation, you don't know about my familiar, social, political, economic and geographical contexts. If the paid connects system works for you, I certainly don't care, because it doesn't for me. If you have tons of jobs going on, and even jobs outside UpWork, good for you. I don't, because I can't.

You like the paid system? Great, go away and work instead of coming here and telling me not to complain, because you have absolutely zero idea WHY I am complaining. Stepping into every thread complaining about paid connect to tell the OP to not complain about paid connects only makes you look bad. Which brings me to the second meaning.

Upwork is a corporation. Not a massive one, but certainly is pretty big. As such, they don't need (and certainly don't care) about you jumping here to defend them from the ungrateful, incapable freelancers who doesn't want to pay for connects. Of course not. So stop doing it. You disagree with me and the other people who doesn't want to pay for conencts? Great, but we don't care, so stop spamming our threads. And certainly, mine, for I have my reasons to complain.

And yes, I know that's what you do, because I went through all the replies to this thread. Every single one of them. And nobody, not a single one of you, replied to what I actually said about connects calculation, which is the core of my thread, the reasons why I open it.

Nobody said nothing about that, everybody here is just telling me how I should not complain, but nobody actually had the decency to check WHAT I was actually complaining about. No, you just **Edited for Community Guidelines**, because I have the impudence to question the pure, benevolent UpWork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
59 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

Is kinda weird how lots of people seem to be just waiting for someone to complain about the paid connects system to jump and yell how fair it is, how good it is, how nobody should say anything bad about it, etc.

Please point to any post that said any one of these things. Being discontented about paying for connects is fine. This bizarre thing so many malcontented freelancers have been doing lately where you just blatantly lie about what other posters in the thread said although the real responses are right there for all the world to see is more than a little over the top.

This means two separate things. First, we may be freelancers to our clients, but we are clients to UpWork, and as a client who's paying I have full right to complain if I'm not 100% ok with the provided service. If you are, good for you, but I'm not. And you people can't just come here telling me how I should't complain. 

Again, I've seen no one tell you that you shouldn't complain. The thing is, complaining is not helping your business. If you'd rather be angry at Upwork than successful, that is your right. But, most successful freelancers assume (often mistakenly, it seems) that freelancers who come to the forums with complaints want to build successful businesses and make good money without a lot of frustration. A lot of well-intentioned responses are guided by that mistaken idea, because it's hard for successful people with problem-solving natures to understand that many people would rather grouse than succeed.

my situation, you don't know about my familiar, social, political, economic and geographical contexts. If the paid connects system works for you, I certainly don't care, because it doesn't for me. If you have tons of jobs going on, and even jobs outside UpWork, good for you. I don't, because I can't.

You like the paid system? Great, go away and work instead of coming here and telling me not to complain, because you have absolutely zero idea WHY I am complaining.

The thing is, it doesn't matter at all why you're complaining. It still isn't going to change anything. In fact, many of the things freelancers complain about with the paid connects system are exactly the things Upwork intended to accomplish by charging for them. What you've said here only reinforces what others have said: the system either works for you or it doesn't, and if it doesn't make you a profit, then you shouldn't purchase Upwork's services. That's all the more true if you can't afford to risk losing your investment.

Stepping into every thread complaining about paid connect to tell the OP to not complain about paid connects only makes you look bad. Which brings me to the second meaning.

Upwork is a corporation. Not a massive one, but certainly is pretty big. As such, they don't need (and certainly don't care) about you jumping here to defend them from the ungrateful, incapable freelancers who doesn't want to pay for connects. 

Yeah, but see, this is more of those bizarre lies people like you tell. No one has ever suggested you should be grateful. Very few people have defended Upwork. EVERYONE you are criticizing has at times harshly criticized Upwork's decisions in these forums. 

But, pretending that we're on the payroll or just mean or kissing Upwork's butt for some reason is easier than thinking about what we're saying and making hard (but necessary) decisions about your career. So, this same babble gets repeated again and again while the freelancers who can least afford to do so spin their wheels and waste time and money.

Highlighted
William C Member Since: Mar 14, 2020
60 of 110

It is a nuisance that implies that the split they take from each succesfull placement does not suppoert the busuness. It is no different than any other advance fee requirement. I would rather pay the nuisance Connect fee and give them no piece of the work I perform. It is a the single biggest sign that the Upstart business model doesn't work to actual completion. It's really no different than stupid dating applications that charge you to actually communicate with real people.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS