Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
61 of 110

William C wrote:

I would rather pay the nuisance Connect fee and give them no piece of the work I perform. 

It's not as if you have performed any work on the platform to date, is it? Fees and Conneects are a business expense which you need to factor into your rates / prices.

That model (obviously) would not ever work, because the money for connects is peanuts compared with the income from contracts

William C wrote:

It's really no different than stupid dating applications that charge you to actually communicate with real people.

Sure, it really sucks that companies don't provide their services for free.... The nerve!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
62 of 110

William C wrote:

It is a nuisance that implies that the split they take from each succesfull placement does not suppoert the busuness.

Actually, it doesn't. [edited for clarity:] It is a given since founding that those commissions are the primary source of Upwork's revenue, and that the company has yet to turn a profit. The lights are kept on by a combination of that revenue and investment money from the original venture capitalists and from holders of the publicly traded shares. None of that has prevented Upwork from continually growing its revenue, and from dominating its market.

Connects revenue is relatively speaking, a drop in the bucket; Upwork claims the switch to all paid connects from the old model of some free, some paid—but 7 times more expensive!—has not created any new revenue for them. They have been explicit about the purpose of paid connects being to encourage freelancers to be more selective in their bidding.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
63 of 110

So basically what you are saying is that you just want to hear from people that agree with you.

Agustin V wrote:

the system is setted to basically always request 6 connects.

Just out of curiosity I checked the average amount of connects I spent in the last 30 days and the result is 4.1

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
64 of 110

Basically what I'm saying is that I only want to hear from people that actually reads and understands other people (which is not your case for what I can see) instead of just replying to get easy kudos and raise their posts amount number.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
65 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

Basically what I'm saying is that I only want to hear from people that actually reads and understands other people (which is not your case for what I can see) instead of just replying to get easy kudos and raise their posts amount number.

You just complained that nobody, not a single one of "us", replied to what you actually said about connects calculation. I just did and what you are saying ("the system is setted to basically always request 6 connects." "19 out of 20 jobs will require 6 connects to apply. The remaining one, 4.") is simply not true. 

Following your logic, I am the first and only one who actually read and said something about connects calculation (you might be right about the understanding part, though)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
66 of 110

Indeed, you are the first. But again, I only want to hear from people that actually reads and understands other people, regardless if they agree with me or not.

In this community, people attacks you if you are not ok with paid connects and they don't even ask why. That can extrapolate to anything, just being attacked for not agree with something that, from their POV, is good.

I'm not the one who just want to hear from people that agree with me. They are.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
67 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

Indeed, you are the first. But again, I only want to hear from people that actually reads and understands other people, regardless if they agree with me or not.

In this community, people attacks you if you are not ok with paid connects and they don't even ask why. That can extrapolate to anything, just being attacked for not agree with something that, from their POV, is good.

I'm not the one who just want to hear from people that agree with me. They are.

You keep on repeating this, which is actually quite arrogant on your part. It's as though you are suggesting that your complaints (and analogies) must be spot on, therefore anybody that disagrees with you is unable or unwilling to understand. 

All this while you continue to use multiple strawmen, which suggests it is actually you that is unable/unwilling to understand what people are telling you. 

Some aspects of connects are pretty ****** and I have not seen anybody say they are 'good' (as you keep on claiming), but it is what it is. Upwork have made it quite clear that they are shifting their focus and this means that a lot of freelancers will no longer find the platform suitable for them. Upwork is losing a lot of money and need to change things in order for them to survive; otherwise they will just disappear and then nobody will be able to use the platform.

Is it fair? Probably not. But it is business, and you do get the option of going elsewhere if Upwork doesn't work for you. If you don't have that option, then that's not Upwork's fault, but they are not forcing you to stay here (hence why your mafia analogies keep on failing). Upwork is not obliged to run the company in a way that is beneficial to you. They need to focus instead on their clients - the people paying money into the company, just as any business does. 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
68 of 110

Hi Agustin, 

I understand who this change can be frustrating for you, and I'm sorry to learn that you are disappointed with it. 

We calculate the number of Connects needed based on the projected job value -- determined using estimated duration and budget amount --  as well as marketplace demand. However, at times clients do not provide all the details needed to accurately calculate how many Connects should be required and freelancers will have to decide whether submitting a proposal is worth the cost. 

Our goal is to monitor the response to jobs over time and tweak the Connects prices based on demand. For example, if a job isn’t getting sufficient interest we may allow proposals to be submitted for “free” (without any Connects). Or if a job required four Connects but it’s receiving little interest, the Connects required may be lowered. Similarly, if demand is too great, we may increase the number of Connects needed. We’ll continue to work at refining our algorithm while also encouraging clients to create more-detailed job posts.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
69 of 110

The are two problems with that, Avery. First, no matter what you do you are harming lots of freelancers. Good freelancers. Not just those who are trashy and offers extremely low budgets and awful performance, for they don't care nor complain about this, they just go away to another platform. The ones who actually care are the ones who are complaining.

I'm a Top Rated freelancer with over 13 years of experience, as you can see on my profile. Since the paid connects were implemented I've noticed zero changes on the audiovisual segment, and I check the jobs and send offers daily.

That brings me to second, you recognize you system deficient. What's the point on rushing it them? This is not a "bad guys lose, good guys win" thing, but a "bad guys don't care, some good guys win, lots of good guys lose" one.

And let me add, so you can see how dispair this is for some people. If you convert U$D 1.50 (10 connects) to my local currency, you buy 1.5 Lts of milk.

Highlighted
Steven S Member Since: Nov 4, 2016
70 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

The are two problems with that, Avery. First, no matter what you do you are harming lots of freelancers. Good freelancers. Not just those who are trashy and offers extremely low budgets and awful performance, for they don't care nor complain about this, they just go away to another platform. The ones who actually care are the ones who are complaining.

I would question why you care so much. Personaly, I do not complain on these forms, I waited to see what the effects of the changes would be for the platform. After seeing the effects, I made the business decision to stop using the platform. This is my first time logging in after a month to see if the situation has changed. I had a design student ask me recently if they should use the site and I recommened against it. I do not think that the value proposition is that good at this point and I know they can better use their time elsewhere. If Upwork wants to make, what are in my opinion, poor decisions then let them. If they start lossing money, then they might change. So long as they are making poor decisions, I will continue to discourage others from using them. Not because they are some kind of mafia, but because I am not going to recommend using a platform that I know to be inferior to other things they could be doing. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS