Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connects are intended to steal money from freelancers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
71 of 110

Same here, Steven. I've discouraging people from singing up here when I heard they are talking about UpWork, and for those who asks me, I always recommend to find more efficient and transparent ways to make money and grow as professionals.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
72 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

Same here, Steven. I've discouraging people from singing up here when I heard they are talking about UpWork, and for those who asks me, I always recommend to find more efficient and transparent ways to make money and grow as professionals.

Because of paid connects?

I think better advice to people who ask you is to tell them to find many avenues for finding clients, as many that make sense and abandon the ones that you cannot make work (after first complaining on their forum before you go).

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Agustin V Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
73 of 110

Not because of paid connects, I reached oDesk on 2012 and have been discouraging people to join since.

Because, even when I agree with your statement, I don't think it's exactly like that. Finding as many avenues for finding clients doesn't really work for everybody in the same way. Being because of what they do, the kind of service they offer or other reasons. 

In my particular case, reach the bigger amount of people possible is better. But for professional from other areas, trying to reach as few as possible is the best.

With that in mind, I just recommend UpWork to those who, like me, needs as many clients as they can get.

But even then, I make pretty clear for them everything they'll have to do in order to get hired. And here, paid connects are just another bullet on the list.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
74 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

Not because of paid connects, I reached oDesk on 2012 and have been discouraging people to join since.

Because, even when I agree with your statement, I don't think it's exactly like that. Finding as many avenues for finding clients doesn't really work for everybody in the same way. Being because of what they do, the kind of service they offer or other reasons. 

In my particular case, reach the bigger amount of people possible is better. But for professional from other areas, trying to reach as few as possible is the best.

With that in mind, I just recommend UpWork to those who, like me, needs as many clients as they can get.

But even then, I make pretty clear for them everything they'll have to do in order to get hired. And here, paid connects are just another bullet on the list.

I am curious do you have an example of a freelancer that would like to reach as few clients as possible?  I do think that all of us should be trying to limit the clients to those that actually are worthwhile but I am not sure we are talking the same thing.  

I don't think Upwork is really the same thing for people who do the same thing in almost all cases.  

I think Upwork is clearly signaling they want less freelancers with paid connects but they are still allowing new ones and certainly love marketing the # of freelancers they have.  It is definitely a confusing time.  However, I don't agree with the characterization as theft.  I also don't think it matters what anyone thinks about it, it's staying.

Highlighted
Shannon B Member Since: May 22, 2020
75 of 110

Saw your post and I'm actually disgusted by the responses you had from the self proclaimed "successful" freelancers, their success should never be a reason for jumping all over peoples genuine dissatisfaction. Anyway, i can't pretend I'm OK with the new setup Upwork has implemented, removing free connects was a HUGE mistake. As it HAS forced everyone to "pay to apply", a practice which i don't agree with, no matter how much business sense it makes, and anyone who defends it just because it makes sense to them, doesn't admit that it's making the site seem greedy. It does make it seem greedy, and why wouldn't it? We are forced to pay money to even have a slim chance of getting chosen, not even going to list the many things that make landing a contract very diffcult when your new on Upwork. i still want to know why my "Rising Talent" badge was removed! everything was going so smooth.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
76 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

I don't know whether that's good for the people you're discouraging. But it's good for the rest of us here. We'll have fewer competitors. Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
77 of 110

Agustin V wrote:

I've discouraging people from singing up here when I heard they are talking about UpWork, and for those who asks me, I always recommend to find more efficient and transparent ways to make money and grow as professionals.

And yet, here you are.

Clinging on for dear life.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
78 of 110

Steven S wrote:

Personaly, I do not complain on these forms, I waited to see what the effects of the changes would be for the platform. After seeing the effects, I made the business decision to stop using the platform. 

I had a design student ask me recently if they should use the site and I recommened against it.

Considering that Upwork has way, WAY too many freelancers, that (getting freelancers to leave / not join in the first place) was likely part of the purpose of introducing paid connects.

Seems like it's working.

Losing freelancers is not an issue. They are a dime a dozen and for every one who leaves, there are literally hundreds scrabbling to get on the platform and take their place.

Highlighted
Shannon B Member Since: May 22, 2020
79 of 110

Can't believe the negativity and outright bullying on this post by the so called successful freelancers on here. But I agree with your decision to stop using Upwork, i've been on Upwork long enough to find out how difficult it is to land any work, even with my years of exp, the competition and share volume of what i would clasify as "priviledged" clients who pay hardly anything and expect profesional work, and couopled with the setup on how everything works on here seems to be aimed at making life as difffcicult as possible for anyone whos new on here. I've been sitting on the fence....wheather it's been worth my time, I've had only a few good clients, and only 1 has been a  returning customer, the only one who values my profesional work. they have been the best client i've ever had. But kudos to you for not putting up with the obviously unfair tactics, no matter how normal it's supposedly, paying to apply for work shouldn't be acceptable, there's surely other ways to keep it afloat.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
80 of 110

The are two problems with that, Avery. First, no matter what you do you are harming lots of freelancers. Good freelancers. Not just those who are trashy and offers extremely low budgets and awful performance, for they don't care nor complain about this, they just go away to another platform. The ones who actually care are the ones who are complaining.

Agustin,

I dont think this is really accurate, plenty of people have been on here complaining about the system and how unfair it is and i am fairly sure they are not all 'good freelancers' (though im sure some are). 

I'm a Top Rated freelancer with over 13 years of experience, as you can see on my profile. Since the paid connects were implemented I've noticed zero changes on the audiovisual segment, and I check the jobs and send offers daily.

You are clearly very experienced and have no problem getting work as you state yourself that you have noticed zero changes since the implementation of the new system. That being said the cost of connects will just pass to your clients surely? So whilst you need to pay upfront you are adding the costs into your pricing (like everyone else)? So this shouldnt really be a significant cost to your business directly.

That brings me to second, you recognize you system deficient. What's the point on rushing it them? This is not a "bad guys lose, good guys win" thing, but a "bad guys don't care, some good guys win, lots of good guys lose" one.

Its not being rushed is it? They obviously need to implement the new system at some point in order to evaluate data and refine things. Waiting longer to implement changes would make no difference other than to delay things. 

As far as 'good guys loosing', i dont understand why you think you are loosing? You have the same options/system as everyone else, meaning everyone is in the same boat. You are experienced and have already said you've not noticed a difference in things, so all you are 'loosing' is the money you spend on connects - which if its to much of a cost for you to withstand just implement it into your pricing. (say you on average spend 40 connects to gain 1 job, just add $6 onto your usual priceing structure)

If you convert U$D 1.50 (10 connects) to my local currency, you buy 1.5 Lts of milk.

That logic just doesnt work, you are working on a USD system, your local pricing doesnt, and can not come into it. You dont earn more or less money for a contract based on your location do you?

Finally, back to your original point in the beginning about all jobs being at 6 connects despite price/contract type ect ect.....

I'm sorry but that is wrong it does make a difference.....

for fixed price contracts.....

ALL jobs UNDER $50 cost 2 connects to apply

Jobs under (i think $600 but maybe 500 or 550?) cost 4 connects

Jobs over the 5-600 above cost 6 connects to apply

This is the cost of ALL fixed price connects - so they are not all 6 connects at all!

As for hourly contracts, there IS a system in this, which i think is largely based on duration (though im not certain on the algorithm for it) 

Im not sure off hand the exact spec, but i see plenty of hourly jobs for 4 connects as well as 6 (though i admit, not many (if any)at 2).

The main problem with the hourly system is not the pricing structure, but the information that clinets provide. I do think Upwork need to find a way to get clients to complete better job descriptions and info.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS