🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Paid Interview
Page options
peterbaraza
Community Member

Paid Interview

Hey guys,

I have a question that I do not seem to  find an answer on this forum from previous posts. Am new here!

Am I supposed to be paid only for successful interviews ?

The client in this case was clear that there was a 10 hr paid interview for the work. However ,she indicated disatisfaction with the test results and therefore cancelled the contract without a penny.

Is this how it works?

Rgds,

Peter.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Am I supposed to be paid only for successful interviews?"

If a client hires you with an hourly contract, then the client needs to pay you for your time.

Whether or not the outcome was "successful" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether or not the client needs to get paid.

If the client "indicates dissatisfaction with results"... That is fine.

Clients are NOT REQUIRED to be satisfied.

But they still need to pay you.

But if you DID NOT LOG ANY TIME, then you don't get paid anything.

In that case, there is nothing to dispute, and nothing you can do about this.

A client may "promise" 10 hours of paid interview time... Maybe that is something in the future... but then she CAN cancel the contract ANY TIME SHE WANTS to. No time logged yet? It means no pay.

Here is an example:

A film director wants to make a buddy cop movie about a cynical veteran cop who teams up with a greenie rookie detective to solve a murder.

He agrees to pay you $10,000 to appear in the role of the rookie.

The movie gets tepid reviews and tanks at the box office. Not successful at all!

Do you need to give back the $10,000 you were paid for appearing in the UNSUCCESSFUL movie?

No. You keep the money.

Likewise, if a client paid you for 10 hours of interview time, and the results were unsuccessful, then you still get paid for your time.

If you followed all Upwork Payment Protection rules, you get paid.

If - however - you logged the time using manual time - then the client CAN dispute these hours and get her money back.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Am I supposed to be paid only for successful interviews?"

If a client hires you with an hourly contract, then the client needs to pay you for your time.

Whether or not the outcome was "successful" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with whether or not the client needs to get paid.

If the client "indicates dissatisfaction with results"... That is fine.

Clients are NOT REQUIRED to be satisfied.

:hundred_points: Preston, that's how Upwork ought to be used.

Still, I'd like to mention this.

In French law there are two types of contracts: obligation de moyens (obligation of means) and obligation de résultats (obligation of results).

In the first one the service provider is required to deploy all necessary tools and make all necessary effort to achieve a particular objective, and he should be paid for such effort.

In the second one, service provider is required to achieve a certain result, and should be paid for such result.

If client is looking to use the second method, it should be when the result is clear, binary, literally as black and white. That scenario only obtains, I think in a slim minority of cases.
If that is what the clent wants, I believe he can. He should however, make it expressly clear to the freelancer, and the freelancer should expressly agree to working on the basis of a results guarantee.
In al cases, Escrow must be fully funded for the work 😉

Any thoughts?

petra_r
Community Member

Peter B wrote:

Am I supposed to be paid only for successful interviews ?

The client in this case was clear that there was a 10 hr paid interview for the work. However ,she indicated disatisfaction with the test results and therefore cancelled the contract without a penny.

You don't "work" during an interview.

An interview is where you and the client discuss whether you want to work together or not.

What you likely mean is a "test job"

If it was an hourly contract and you tracked your hours properly via the Upwork tracker, you get paid automatically.

Preston H wrote:

Only if he tracked his hours and did it really need two posts to say that? What is it with the constant double posts? You know perfectly well how to add to an existing one and you don't get paid for double the number of posts...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members