cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Paid Membership - Is it worth it?

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
11 of 27

Thanks everyone! Here's another question. To my understanding of the paid membership, you are paying the $10/month for these benefits, but are also still having to pay the 10% fees per project completion/payment. Am I understanding this right? Frankly, even if the benefits like roll-over connects etc were not there (or even remained at a minimum benefits as it is now) I wouldn't mind paying the $10/month to use the site as long as the fee percentage was reduced or eliminated. As it stands right now, I may try the membership out at some point, just to see if the few benefits that it does offer is rewarding enough for me, but like Jennifer, I have a feeling I'd wind up cancelling my membership simply because the benefits just don't seem that great yet.

Ace Contributor
Vibhor G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
12 of 27

I would also like to see some offset in the upwork comission for paid membership. I have stopped bidding for Fixed price projects below $500 since the comission became 20% for them.

Gunnar E Member Since: Nov 8, 2018
13 of 27

The commision is 40% 20 for you and 20 for customer...

Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
14 of 27
Thank you all for your input!!
Ace Contributor
Srecko M Member Since: May 17, 2016
15 of 27

Not for me until I am able to see who is  bidding. Bid range ... I do not see purpose of it.

Ace Contributor
Gregory M Member Since: Jul 20, 2015
16 of 27

I am on it and the benefits for me are connects rollover - sometimes I am off work for a month and extra connects are handy. I also occasionally buy extra connects as I do many small-budget jobs (50-500).
Never cared much about competitor bids - in my field I believe this information can be ignored. 

Highlighted
Curtis D Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
17 of 27

There will be no paid account from me.  I don't see the benefits in paying for a Freelancer Plus membership.  I had submitted 30 or so proposals over the course of the last week and received an email stating I need to pay for a membership or my account will be moved to private and nobody will see me nor will I be able to submit proposals.  Isn't that the point of Upwork?  To be a freelancer and submit proposals?  So, it's a forced membership based on the email I received.  

They already keep 25%, which is fine, but now forcing $10/mo for everyone as a freelancer.  No thanks.  I'm out, Peace!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
18 of 27

@Curtis D wrote:

(...) received an email stating I need to pay for a membership or my account will be moved to private and nobody will see me nor will I be able to submit proposals.  (...)

Is the underlined part really in the e-mail you received Curtis?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 27

Curtis,

I'd like to confirm that even if your profile is set to private, you'll still be able to send proposals and they will be delivered to clients.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Curtis D Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
20 of 27

Valeria, I'm not sure.  I have simply decided to leave the community.  

Best of luck!

Rene, yes.  I sent an email to customer support explaining what I posted here - hence the reason for me contributing to someone's current post which questions the need for a freelance plus membership.  I would have no reason to post anything in here unless there was a real reason to do so.  

Thanks much!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS