🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Paid connects?
Page options
t-hall
Community Member

Paid connects?

Heard about this on Quora. Came here saw a post asking if it will start inMay.. but I didn't see any posts to explain how it all works. Are we going to get refunded or something for contracts we don't win but paid to apply? It can take sometimes up to 20 applications before Ifind a contraxt with a client who I feel is trustworthy. I would not be happy to pay $40 + 20% for a $200 contract. Please enlighten me. Cheers

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mystudiomke
Community Member
12 REPLIES 12
mystudiomke
Community Member

Thanks. !At first when you said 103 pages, I thought the document abotu it was that long so I didn;t bother to click lol.. now i  see it's quite short. Ty for info!

petra_r
Community Member

Tony H wrote:

. I would not be happy to pay $40 + 20% for a $200 contract.

Where did you get the idea of $ 40 from? Connects will cost $ 0.15 each.

t-hall
Community Member

Because I thought connects were $2

How is this paid, do we need to subscribe to a monthly batch of 60 or is it done as you go? How/ehen when we be charged?

yitwail
Community Member

Tony H wrote:

Because I thought connects were $2

How is this paid, do we need to subscribe to a monthly batch of 60 or is it done as you go? How/ehen when we be charged?

It's not a subscription. They will be sold in batches of 10 connects. If you have money available in your freelancer account, then Upwork will deduct the purchase amount from it. If you don't have money there, I'm not sure how you'll be charged.

Community Manager

Hi Tony, 

You may also refer to this FAQs about paid Connects and a video explaining the change from our Head of Product here.

~ Avery
Upwork
eduardciprian
Community Member

Upwork is quite dead. They made it impossible for small freelancers to work on it anymore. You need to apply to around 10 jobs, which come to a total of 20 connects to get a project. Which for small freelancers that do translations. Means you will win around 20$ per average project. 20 connects means you need to pay 3$ only for the connects, then out of the 20$ project, they take 20%, which means another 4$, so you win 13$ per every 20$ project. Nice upwork, it became a 50% tax almost

Uje E wrote:

Upwork is quite dead. They made it impossible for small freelancers to work on it anymore. You need to apply to around 10 jobs, which come to a total of 20 connects to get a project. Which for small freelancers that do translations. Means you will win around 20$ per average project. 20 connects means you need to pay 3$ only for the connects, then out of the 20$ project, they take 20%, which means another 4$, so you win 13$ per every 20$ project. Nice upwork, it became a 50% tax almost

Who is forcing you to do projects for $20 each? You can buy 60 connects per month for only $9. So if you charge $25 for a project and get at least two projects per month, the cost of your connects is more than covered. 

I think paid connects not a bad idea at all, it is essential too for it acts as a deterrent and clients will have to sift through lesser number of applicants who were confident enough to apply for the contract and thereby chances of your getting selected is much more.

r_wiebe
Community Member

So I'm brand new...set up profile, purchased 80 connects and profile doesn't change to public? I don't get it..🤷🏻‍:male_sign:

Hi Rob,

I have reset your profile visibility back to Public Status as requested. Please check this help article to learn more about how you can avoid having your profile automatically set to private.

~ AJ
Upwork
r_wiebe
Community Member

Thank you Annie!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members