Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paused contract?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hieu T Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
1 of 15

What happen if a contract is paused for a long time?

I have a client who paused the hourly admin support contract (after I delivered what he needed) and become irresponsive. I ask him if he was happy with my work and he said absolutely, he would be back to use my service again later.

I asked him to close the contract, no respond.

I checked his history and saw 90% of the time he didn't give feedback at all Smiley Happy 

What should I do now??

Hieu T

Vietnamese translator
Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
2 of 15

Hi Hieu,

I'm assuming this was an hourly job...? Or was it a fixed rate job..?

How long has this client been non-responsive for and when did you complete the job?

If its been a long while, like 3-6months+ since you last communicated with him, I would send him one last polite message letting him know that you want to close the contract because it affects your job success score if you keep inactive contracts open for a long time. If he needs your services again, he can simply rehire you on a new contract.

I would give him a few days to get back to you, if he doesn't, just close it out yourself.

I've had to do this on many many contracts so that it wouldn't hurt my JSS. If they were satisfied with your work, they will have no problem rehiring you.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 15

Long term inactive jobs **AND** jobs closed without feedback can affect the JSS if they represent a significant percentage of the overall picture.

It's all well and good for someone with dozens of jobs to say "it won't have an effect" - but on a profile with only a handful of ended jobs one single job represents 20% of the overall picture and almost certainly WILL knock the JSS if closed without feedback.

The time to look at a client's feedback history is before accepting a contract. This client hardly ever leaves any feedback so this was always going to be a risk.

However, the client also has a long history of long term ongoing contracts, so I would not worry (yet) as the contract only started in August.

I would NOT suggest you close it yourself yet, give it time. Giving it time makes sense here because not only does it give the client time to come back, it also allows you to get more jobs under your belt to mitigate the effect of this one if, as, and when it does hit you.

Community Guru
Hieu T Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
4 of 15

Thank  you Petra, you did go through my profile and check the job and the client yourself. I appreciate your kindness.

But

It DID hit my JSS Smiley Sad 

Disappointing 88% JSS.

Sigh, but I have to move on anyway.

Hieu T

Vietnamese translator
Community Guru
5 of 15

@Hieu T wrote:

But

It DID hit my JSS Smiley Sad 

I really do not think it did. It is too early... I am pretty certain private feedback on one of your ended contracts did that. Or was there a contract that ended without any payment / was refunded, maybe ?

Karuna S Member Since: Sep 21, 2017
6 of 15

Hi Upwork support,

I need your help about my contract is paused from client side and he is not replying me.

I am new here and want my payment, it was a hourly project I did my job and want more 2 hours to finish that project but my client paused the contract and change the credentials.

I have worked 7 hours and I want my money.

Please suggest me what I have to do for my money.

Regards

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 15

Hi Karuna,

Since you have tracked your time with the app you will be payed for the time you have worked. To learn more about how hourly payments works read more details about our Weekly Billing Cycle.
If you`re interested to read about our hourly payment protections you can check out this Help Article.

Untitled
Karuna S Member Since: Sep 21, 2017
8 of 15

Hi,

Thanks for response

but my client has paused that contract so how can I end that contract and get my money from my client.

Please help.

Regards

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 15

Hi Karuna,

Please go to Reports > Overview and you can see in what stage are the funds from your contract.
You can check out the Weekly Billing Cycle help article I have shared below to learn more about how you get payed on hourly contracts.

Untitled
Community Guru
10 of 15

@Karuna S wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for response

but my client has paused that contract so how can I end that contract and get my money from my client.

Where-Is-My-Money.jpg"Where is my money?"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS