🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Pausing policy of hourly contract
Page options
m_jawad49
Community Member

Pausing policy of hourly contract

Hi all,
I am working as a Web and Mobile UI/UX Designer on Upwork and want to know if a client sends requirements for the design and I design something using the requirements and I know that using the references mentioned the design is technically correct, but client does not like the design due to his/her personal taste and/or due to the difference of understanding of the requirement in the first place then probably he/she will pause the contract and then ask freelancer to revise the design.
Let me know if in this situation revising the design should be done free of cost because the client has paused the contract and I cannot add more hours in the work diary or if revisions should also be included in the working hours?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read. Have a nice day.

6 REPLIES 6
JoanneP

Hi Muhammad Jawad,

Please discuss the project details with your client before you accept and begin working on the contract. If in case the client would like to test you to see if you will be the freelancer they need for the job, then they can send you a contract for it. Clients should not ask for freelancers to work for free even for the purpose of test only.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Thank You for your response.

Yes, I had discussed the details before accepting, but as I mentioned before I am a designer and everyones design taste can differ. Even if everything has discussed in great details there exist a possibility that any small or big mistake in the design might occur due to certain reasons. I think mistakes are a part of any kind of job. So my question is if there's a mistake and client disliked it and paused the contract then should I ask to resume the contract to correct the mistake or should I first correct the mistake and ask the client to resume the contract for next task?

Hi Muhammad Jawad,

You can request the client to discuss options on how you can create revisions to the work submitted. You can explain that if they would give you the opportunity to correct any issues they find or are not happy with, then you would be more that willing to do it. If the contract is paused, then you may remind them about it so that they decide to reactivate the contract. It is always best to discuss with your client, and be always ready to communicate to avoid any misunderstandings. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Please discuss the project details with your client before you accept and begin working on the contract. If in case the client would like to test you to see if you will be the freelancer they need for the job, then they can send you a contract for it. Clients should not ask for freelancers to work for free even for the purpose of test only.

The above response applies to sample work a freelancer may be asked for during the interview process.

It has nothing to do with the OP's situation, where he is already hired on an hourly contract and the client has received the work but doesn't like it and paused the contract while asking for the work to be done again, but without additional cost being incurred. 

m_jawad49
Community Member

Thank You everyone 🙂
I think I have received more accurate answer from the Customer Support person.
Pasting his response here if anyone else would have same question.

"... you are no obligation to work on a project unless the contract is active to continue tracking your time. If a contract is paused, you can immediately stop working on the project because any work completed during this time is not covered by Payment protection. 

Please be advised that with an hourly contract, any hours logged on your work diary will be invoiced to your Client automatically as part of Upwork's payment protection. If your client requires you to change the design, we strongly recommend still continue tracking your time to be paid with the hours rendered while revising. 

Also, you can contact your Client to find out when will the contract resume to track your time and continue with the changes..."

If a client pauses the contract, it means that she wants you to stop working.

If a client pauses the contract and asks you to redo work without logging time, then it means she is asking you to work for free. That is a violation of Upwork TOS.

A client may END a contract at any time. If a client does not like the work that you are doing on her behalf, then she may end the contract and hire other freelancers to do the work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths