🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Pay Raise Confused, Need help from someone to...
Page options
angeldimplesxo
Community Member

Pay Raise Confused, Need help from someone to explain along with the service fee.

Hey so this is my first Clinet that I work full time. They give me a max of 52 hours a week, and with being a stay at home mom, I usually max out at around between no less than 34, but no higher than 40ish , to 43 hours a week.

Now I asked for a pay raise i was at $8.00 at the start but when we changed my pay and he agreed to $9.50, but whe im looking at my timesheet it said I was making $8.46 instead of $8.00 since i started working for him .

I hit my $ with my clinet where only 10% come out fo my pay . Now my question is.

techincally because of the service fee im only making $8.55 not, $9.50 . So if was was making $8.46 , and i did the math right it was only  9 cents added to my pay? idk  I need help knowing if Im doing the math right and how to help me figure out the difference in the raise because im so confused.

Im not complaining abou the pay but im so confused with the service fee, and if we put $9.50 for the pay , but i was making only $8.00/$8.46 before that, then that not much for unless someone can help me out.

Also does the clinet im working get a % fromy pay , is that was the service fee is for?

Sorry if any of this is confusing I will clarify anything just ot get me to understand this better.

3 REPLIES 3
PradeepH

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts with the client on our platform. Freelancer fees start from 20% for the first $0-$500 earning and are reduced to $10% for earnings between $500.01-$10,000. You pay just a 5% service fee for earnings above $10,000.01. You can refer to this Help page for more information. I see that you are charged 10% fees on the said contract. You can refer to your Transaction History page for more information. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
rverang
Community Member

Tiffany B wrote:

Hey so this is my first Clinet that I work full time. They give me a max of 52 hours a week, and with being a stay at home mom, I usually max out at around between no less than 34, but no higher than 40ish , to 43 hours a week.

Now I asked for a pay raise i was at $8.00 at the start but when we changed my pay and he agreed to $9.50, but whe im looking at my timesheet it said I was making $8.46 instead of $8.00 since i started working for him .

I hit my $ with my clinet where only 10% come out fo my pay . Now my question is.

techincally because of the service fee im only making $8.55 not, $9.50 . So if was was making $8.46 , and i did the math right it was only  9 cents added to my pay? idk  I need help knowing if Im doing the math right and how to help me figure out the difference in the raise because im so confused.

Im not complaining abou the pay but im so confused with the service fee, and if we put $9.50 for the pay , but i was making only $8.00/$8.46 before that, then that not much for unless someone can help me out.

Also does the clinet im working get a % fromy pay , is that was the service fee is for?

Sorry if any of this is confusing I will clarify anything just ot get me to understand this better.

When you were charging $8, you were getting $7.2, not $8.46 ($0.8 service fee at 10%)

Now you're charging $9.5, you are getting $8.55 (you got this right), so an increase of $1.35.

Service fee goes to Upwork.

Edit: The $8.46 you're seeing is the average you got paid per hour for the period specified in the timesheet.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

The client does not get a % of your pay. Upwork gets all of the service fee. In fact, your client is also being charged a fee that you don't see. On a side note, why on earth would you want to do full-time freelance work for one client? I get it, it's more money, but you are being taken advantage of by the client, who doesn't have to pay the costs of hiring an employee. The client doesn't have to pay payroll taxes, benefits, etc and they are treating you like an employee by engaging with you on a full-time business. I guess the benefit to you is that if the client closes your contract with them, you can then file for unemployment and claim that you were misclassified as an independent contractor. Depending on the laws in Nevada, you might get benefits. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members