Pay per Minute

Hi All,

I am new here. I just want to ask if Upwork also considered Minute Rate instead of Hourly rate. Like, if the client wants to pay you per minute. 

Thanks, 

June

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter

Technically nobody on Upwork is paid "hourly" or "by the minute."

Upwork's hourly contracts are billed in ten-minute increments.

pandoraharper

@Junebie D wrote:

Hi All,

I am new here. I just want to ask if Upwork also considered Minute Rate instead of Hourly rate. Like, if the client wants to pay you per minute. 

Thanks, 

June

I can think of a few industries that are usually billed "by the minute", but Upwork's TOS prevents me from being specifc. Some not safe for work anyways.

So my question to the OP, as well as anyone else, what sort of Upwork legit business would be suited to "by the minute" billing.

@Pandora H wrote:

I can think of a few industries that are usually billed "by the minute",

Transcription, for example, is usually billed by audio-minute and lends itself to setting up a fixed rate contract.

X audio minutes at $ Y per audio minute = milestone 1

Video / Voiceover / Subtitling / Music production etc etc work all generally get billed by the minute of work produced or the source minutes. Again, those will not work well as hourly contract if the client wants to pay by the minute, so again are best set up as fixed rate contracts (chunk of minutes = milestone)

stencil_media

You can bill by the second if you want, but it will be clumped into a minimum of 600 second chunks, or 3,600 second chunks, if you've worked enough seconds to warrant it. For transparency and consistency though, your rate will always be shown in hours.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

I second Scott.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I minute Rene.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

Personally, I think it would be great if Upwork's system billed by the minute. But it doesn't.

I don't think it makes much difference for most of us, but there are people for whom such precision would be very welcome. I can understand that.

pandoraharper

Well, I had no idea, heh.

Thanks all, and @Petra, those specific examples were informative.

I hate the Team Tracker in general. I just wish it would track when I turn it on, and stop tracking when I turn it off. My non Upwork tracker does that, and it's great.