cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PayPal with different email

Highlighted
Ahmad H Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
1 of 29

Hi, may i know how to setup get paid (paypal) with different email from the upwork's account email?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 29

Hi Ahmad,

You need to use the same email as on your Upwork account and make sure your PayPal and Upwork emails on file match. You can either add the email address you use on Upwork to your existing PayPal account (if it's registered to another email address) in order to set up and enable PayPal as your payment method, or change your Upwork email address to match the one on your PayPal account.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jordan G Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
3 of 29

See that's what I thought, originally.

However back in November or so, I switched ISPs and went into my account to change my email.

This went smoothly and I assumed that my paypal email would change with it.  This was not the case and much to my chagrin when I withdrew my money next time, I had to jump through hoops with paypal to get my old (non existent) address added back to my paypal account to get the money.

After this fiasco I went into my account on Upwork and changed my paypal email address to match.  So in my opinion it is possible to have two separate email addresses but whether it would lead to account problems with Upwork management I am not sure, but it is possible.

So I guess my question is, if you can only use one email for both, then why are there two different emails to begin with?  Should there not just be one?  or lacking that should not one change with the other?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 29

Hi Jordan,

My instructions were addressing a case where a user already registered a PayPal account with a different email address. You need to enter and if needed later amend the payment method details separately to your account details, including the email address associated with your payment method.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 29

" You need to enter and if needed later amend the payment method details separately to your account details"

So if both account details and payment method details are separate, does that mean in fact that payment details can have 1 email address and the account information a different email address?  

I ask since you previously stated "You need to use the same email as on your Upwork account and make sure your PayPal and Upwork emails on file match"

If they do have to be the same, I was aking why they are seperate and not just 1 input?  Or why 1 doesn't automatically change to refelect the other?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 29

Hi Jordan,

We can't change the email for the PayPal account you added to your Upwork account automatically, because you as the owner are required to log into your PayPal account and set it up accordingly. We don't have access to your PayPal account settings and permissions.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 29

I'm not talking about changing my pay pal account, I was refering to changing the email address on Upwork that is associated with the paypal account.

Currently the email address is in two places:

Settings->Contact Info

Settings->Get Paid

The question was refering to this, and had nothing to do with paypal side.  So again:

Does that mean in fact that payment details can have 1 email address and the account information a different email address?   As per "" You need to enter and if needed later amend the payment method details separately to your account details""

If they do have to be the same, I was asking why they are seperate and not just 1 input?  Or why 1 doesn't automatically change to refelect the other?  As I would like to know, and am pretty sure this is what the original poster was enquiring about.

Highlighted
8 of 29

Jordan,

In both cases, for Contact Information and for PayPal, email addresses have to be set and verified externally by the account owner. When you change the email in Contact Info, you will receive a verification email to confirm the change. For that and other reasons the change can only be initiated by the account holder.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 29

Again that doesn't answer the question.

Yes everything you said is correct about changing the email associated with the account. 

This would be Settings->Contact Info

but does the account email have to match the email in Settings->Get Paid->Payment Methods, where there is an option to edit the email address associated with pay pal ? 

Highlighted
10 of 29

Yes, it does, when the user chooses to use PayPal or Skrill for example. And it is for a freelancer to make sure email addresses match when they set it up or make changes. Similarly, the user has to make sure the name and address they enter for bank information if they choose to use LFT or wire transfer match the information they have on profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS