🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Paying back Fixed Milestone
Page options
ddeb1a4d
Community Member

Paying back Fixed Milestone

Hi there, I am new here, already working some time on Upwork. For the first time facing an issue with a client, unfortunately. Can anyone help or give suggestions?

I want to stop a contract (it's a Milestone, currently in Escrow, I submitted the work and it's waiting to be released). After submitting the work, the client started to request for more, which was not in the job description. During our communication the tone became very aggressive. Eventually, after trying to find a solution, I requested the client to cancel the Milestone. But they are saying it's not possible.

Is it possible to cancel the Milestone from my side? Or for example refund it after payment?
If not, does someone has other options? 

Thanks for helping me out!

1 REPLY 1
tjofi
Community Member

Hi Reina,

It is very unfortunate having to deal with such clients, I would personally ask the client if there's anything that I can change to finalize the agreed task, and if they request something that was not previously defined, I would explain to them that it is a different task that would require a different milestone.

Just explain to them that you have completed the task for that milestone and that you would be happy to make any adjustments until they are satisfied with your work as long as it falls within the defined task. If they ask you to do additional work for the same milestone, tell them that it's not what you had agreed upon, and that you can only do additional work as part of a new milestone, and define the new price for that task.

If the client does not want to hear that, just wait for the 14 day period to end and the funds in escrow will be released to your account as per Upwork's fixed-price protection. You can then end the contract and provide negative feedback to the client.

I would not refund the client if I know that I did what they asked me to, even if they say it's not satisfactory.
I suggest checking out clients' past reviews from other freelancers before submitting proposals, to avoid unpleasant situations like this one.

Regards,
~Filip
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members