Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for expenses.

elitegra
Community Leader
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
1 of 20

I am currently working on project for XXX, now the client wants me to handle purchasing some stock images for a considerable amount of XX, not a problem for me since normally I manage that with no problem, but not this time.

The job is done, we just need to purchase the stock images and replace the comps images that I had used in the design. Is it fair that we have to wait 5 days ir order to access this payment to purchase the images? Or that Upwork has still to cut the %20 from expenses? How happy would be a client if I explain this?

I understand the reason behind this, I know many would start accepting PAYMENT as expenses.... but if at least payment processing time would be like it was in Elance, intermediately and still safety, it would be different.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 20

Wilson, sorry to hear this. In such cases, I encourage the client to make the purchase instead but if the client is unwilling or unable, then yes, I'm afraid you have to advance the payment yourself, so to speak, because Upwork policy regarding outside payments does not provide an exception for purchases on behalf of the client, to the best of my knowledge. And the amount of the payment would have to be adjusted to compensate for the Upwork fee, so you won't have any out-of-pocket expense.

John

Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 20

If it were me, I'd insist that the client purchase the photos - especially if you are giving over those files to the client. Otherwise the stock images will be licensed to you and not the client.

You should explain this to them - if they purchase the images, they will be able to use them again for other purposes, the license will be in their name.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 20

My recommendation is for you to have the client pay for expenses directly. That is how I would always do things if the expense is the purchase of license content such as a photo which will be used in the client's end product.

Or, for other types of expenses, you can do what I do, which is to pay for the expenses myself. And NOT invoice the client or ask the client to pay for expenses. But charge enough that my costs are covered.

Sometimes I have had expenses on projects. These expenese have ranged from $50 to $500. To purchase new, necessary software or licenses or secure hosting space or to hire specialized temporary help. But I have been paid between $2000 and $10,000 for these projects. So my expenses are a relatively minor cost of doing business for me, and I don't pass on the expense to the client.

elitegra
Community Leader
5 of 20

Thanks all for your reply... that's what I do, I make client pay or send stock images, but you know, from time to time you find busy people or ones that do not like to do these things and think it's our duty.

kathrynbaughman
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
6 of 20

One quick way to solve this before it happens is to make sure you verify the following with the client BEFORE starting work:

Will they need paid stock images or will public-domain images be of use?

Are they willing to cover the cost of the stock images if needed?

Do they understand that the cost will be added to the fee for the project?

Barring that approach, you have the option of bidding a higher fee to account for the cost of images when you place your proposal.  If they openly state in their job post that an article needs x amount of images at x size, simply tack it on to your writing fee and communicate this to the client as follows:

My proposed rate includes the written copy as well as stock images purchased for the project.

I'd think one of those two options will certainly save you headaches in the future.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
elitegra
Community Leader
7 of 20

Thanks Kathryn, those are the first questions I ask and client agreed, but then he wanted me to do it.

First I ask if they have any images to use, if not, if they are willing to purchase stock images.

I just wanted to share here they issues we may face here when paying for expenses.

PS: Cient already accepted in purchasing and sending the stock images :-)

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 20

For general reference, a mechanism for expense reimbursement billed separately from one's rates is found in the client's interface under (gag!) bonuses.

[See correction following.]

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 20

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

For general reference, a mechanism for expense reimbursement billed separately from one's rates is found in the client's interface under (gag!) bonuses.

Unless this has changed recently it is found under "Expenses"

elitegra
Community Leader
10 of 20

But still have to wait the 5 days and the Upwork cut? I think so.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS