elisa_riva

Paying for working?

Hello everybody,
I submitted a proposal for a job and was selected. But when I got the specifics for the job (typing job) the client asked me to pay in order to get the software and server they use installed in my system. I found it quite strange (paying to get something that I'm required to have to perform the job doesn't make any sense to me) and declined. It looked like a really good job with a good pay, so I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I just want to know if anyone has had a similar experience (paying to get something that's necessary for the job) or if it was a scam.
Thanks in advance for any advice/shared story
8 REPLIES 8

No legitimate client will ask you to pay to do work. It was a scam. You did the right thing. 🙂

elisa_riva

Thank you very much!
purplepony

Elisa, this link to a post from Moderator Lena regarding some of the most common scams will help you in the future: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833. 

elisa_riva

Thank you very much Lena, this is really helpful!
elisa_riva

Sorry, I wanted to write "Thank you very much Pat!"
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elisa,

Yes, you made the right choice when you declined the client's offer. Please note that you weren't selected for this job since you weren't hired on Upwork. The client you communicated with has been removed from the platform earlier for violating Upwork ToS.

Please review these safety tips, make sure never to pay in order to start working on a job, only accept payment through Upwork and don't start working without an active contract under your My Jobs tab.

Untitled
elisa_riva

Thank you very much! I'll read the safety tips carefully! I always get asked to get in touch with the client through skype/e-mail before having an active contract, so I guess that is a way to make me work outside the Upwork system...should I refuse to contact the client by skype/e-mail before my contract under My Jobs tab is activated?

Elisa - Usually clients communicate through the message feature here, but it is Not uncommon to discuss details of the job before being awarded the job or accepting the job award. Communication for complex instructions or to just plain understand the job better, is much better conveyed through a person to person phone call instead of typing back and forth and trying to inturpert what each person is trying to say.

Also, clients may perfer email communication, then logging in here nd navagating to the message section of the job. Just make sure yoiu are paid for any "lenghtly" conversation/consulations and that you are awarded the job before you start work. Also the clients account is verified, and escrow is fully funded.