🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment Dispute
Page options
ashutoshsoni891
Community Member

Payment Dispute

Hi Upwork Community!

A few days(10 days) ago.I completed a project for one of my client. He ended the contract with a good rating and released the milestone. Today I got the message from upwork that the "refund has been given to the client".I don't know what's the matter actually? Upwork refund the released money to the client back. I am totally shocked.I am really in trouble and I need help for the same. I am attaching some screenshots so that you guys can see what exactly going under the hood.

I need my earned money back .Please!

Regards,
Ash

**Edited for community guidelines**

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

The screenshots you presented showed that 5 hours of work were refunded, for a total of $125.

This can happen if the client's payment method could not be charged and your hours did not qualify for Upwork payment protection.

This could also happen if the client manually disputed time blocks and your time did not qualify for Upwork payment protection.

Did you do what I do, which is to log hourly time in a way that qualifies for Upwork payment protection (no manual time; adequate memos, sufficient mouse/keyboard activity, screenshots showing work on client's project, client is payment verified)?

Hi there! Thanks for your quick reply. The project was closed successfully with a good rating and that was MANUAL HOURLY CONTRACT. I attached a screenshot. If there was an issue, why it is showing the hours with payment on my profile.

Manually logged hours are not covered by Upwork Payment Protection.

But the client has the right to resolve any issues with his payment method and issue a bonus payment to you.

Right now this is between you and the client. It is not an Upwork matter. Payment must go through Upwork. But communicate with the client.

Could you please help me out. What should be the solution and how this community can help me to get my money.

Thanks in advance!

AASHUTOSH S wrote:

Could you please help me out. What should be the solution and how this community can help me to get my money.

Unless your client comes back and pays, there is no way to get your money, unfortunately.

great-idea-4-you
Community Member

It could have been paid with stolen credit card , and the true owner of the card applied to the bank for clarification . Then the bank has cancelled  the payment . So money returns back. You can contact client and ask him or contact Upwork team

Hi Vior

How do I get the support from Upwork team or live customer support? The client is not active since the ending of the contract.

re: "How do I get the support from Upwork team or live customer support?"

Why?

Your questions are being answered right here in this thread.

Hi AASHUTOSH,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. 

The team will also be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

HI Bojan!

Thanks for replying me back. I will be waiting for reply from UPWORK TEAM. I hope I will get my money back.

Thanks!

If the client did not pay what he owed, and you used manual time which is not guaranteed by Upwork, you will probably not be paid for the work you did. Why would you use manual time? Hope you learned the lesson.

Please check out the screenshots.If the Client requested for manual hours then, what freelancer should do. I believe Upwork should consider the Freelancer side also, As the contract is ended with a 5-star rating and good feedback.

**Edited for community guidelines**

It is possible the client asked you to do manual hours because he knows it is not guaranteed by Upwork. In other words, maybe he was scamming you. In any event, you did not have to agree to do manual time. So, next time, I suggest you don't do that.

of course of course.

Thank you so much Mam.

>If the Client requested for manual hours then, what freelancer should do.

If the client would request to work for free, should the freelancer do it? The request is very weird, I'm pretty sure you were scammed.

Normal, honest clients don't request that freelancers use manual time.

All points are okay . I understand , but ...

WHY UPWORK REFUNDED THE PAYMENT TO THE CLIENT. UPWORK IS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THIS. IT IS FREELANCER'S MONEY , IF CLIENT WAS SCAM THEN UPWORK SHOULD BLOCK HIM, NOT REFUND THE MONEY

AASHUTOSH S wrote:

WHY UPWORK REFUNDED THE PAYMENT TO THE CLIENT.

Upwork did NOT "refund" any money.  The client never PAID for your hours. Had you tracked your hours properly, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket. Because you didn't, they won't.

AASHUTOSH S wrote:

IT IS FREELANCER'S MONEY.

No, it isn't. Not if the client never paid.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members