🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Payment Issues (Do you think I am being s...
Page options
e35daf15
Community Member

Payment Issues (Do you think I am being scammed?)

Hi, 

I need your help everyone! 

I applied for a Data Entry gig here at Upwork and I got accepted. I am new and don't know how things work here, by the way. 

So I completed the task and my client said that he will be sending me my pay. He asked for my paypal account and mobile number - which I gave. After a few minutes he said that he sent my money to my account and sent me a screenshot and then suddenly he was asking me for $220 as a transaction fee so that the bank can release my money. Of course, I did not pay since I don't have the money to pay  such a large amount anyway. So I told him and he agreed to cover the $220 for me and then I can pay him once my money comes in. 

Now he told me that the transaction went through and that he needs me to pay the money now. He is pressuring me. I checkd my Paypal and not a single dollar was added to my balance. He said that he used Bank of America for the transfer. He even sent me a screenshot but I am still doubtful. 

He was asking me to borrow money from other people so that I can send him the $220 he payed for the transaction fee. I really can't do that. What should I do cause he keeps on messaging me and if I do not reply he calls me through Telegram. 

And is the transaction fee for transfers really that big? In the first place, I decided to freelance to earn money but why do I have to pay if I was the one who render my services? 😞 He is stressing me out

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roneemae
Community Member

SCAM! Don't respond to that idiot. Block them NOW! They will never ever send you money. If you take a closer look at "thanks for donating blah blah" it's photoshopped or any editing app. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Any time a "client" asks you for any kind of payment it's a scam. 

There are no transaction or any other kind of fees a freelancer has to pay to the client. 

You will not get any payment.

You should never use telegram or any outside communication. 

You accepted payment outside of upwork. That will get you suspended. 

roneemae
Community Member

SCAM! Don't respond to that idiot. Block them NOW! They will never ever send you money. If you take a closer look at "thanks for donating blah blah" it's photoshopped or any editing app. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

"I am new and don't know how things work here, by the way."

It is your responsibility to find out how things work here before you start trying to use the platform. Upwork provides reams of information for new freelancers including and entire section of this forum. If you are wise, you will stop and spend time learning about the platform--and about freelancing in general, e.g., no legitimate client charges you in order to pay you--before you do anything else.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members