🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Payment Method Disabled, Withdrawal Faile...
Page options
samstancill
Community Member

Payment Method Disabled, Withdrawal Failed

Hey,

I got a notification from UpWork today telling me that my payment method had been disabled. I have re-enabled it, but would like to know why this is happened and how I can avoid it happening again.

It's a real pain that I have to wait for the funds, of course, especially as it already takes several days for the funds to arrive in my bank account. However, what is annoying is that the transaction fee of $1.99 was not also refunded, despite the fact that no transaction had taken place.

The payment method is a Local Funds transfer to a major british bank. Would a Paypal payment be more reliable?

Could this have anything to do with the Upwork maintenance today?

Sam

EDIT: Oh, I've just seen the email from Upwork. It states:

"The bank provided this reason for your returned funds: Unable to apply."

Any thoughts?

26 REPLIES 26
petra_r
Community Member

Triple check all details, Sam, account number, sorting code, and whether your Upwork account name matches your bank account name exactly

Petra, Vladimir, thanks for the replies.

I can't get my name, as it appears on my statement, into the "Name of Account" box in the "Add Payment Method: Local Funds Transfer Screen". It's too long for the box. Will shortening my middle names, for example, into initials, be a problem?

Also, don't see a section for postcode in the address boxes. There are boxes for "Address" box and "City and State/Province" box. I would have thought that would be a piece of information that would be checked. 

Sorry for the finicky questions, but I don't really want to just try it if I'm going to be charged the transaction fee each time it doesn't go through, and if it's going to take a week to decide to tell me it is wrong. 

this must be solved quickly. please try to contact regarding body.

ossyjay
Community Member

Hello there, I encountered the same problem when I tried to withdraw. I used this same method last month without problems but this time around it kept rejecting the transaction and disabling the payment method.
I decided to use the alternative, Payoneer and guess what? After making the transfer successfully, I was told that my funds had to be over $1000 before I can withdraw to my local account.
Now I'm stuck waiting for a master card till the end of the month.
The fees attached to the withdrawal, $1.98 were not refunded (for 2 attempts).
It's really painful that I have to go through all these in order to get paid.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Praise, 

I'm so sorry to learn about your experience, Praise. Please refer to this support ticket to know why your withdrawal was rejected by the bank.

~ Avery
Upwork
df4f9617
Community Member

Pleasse help me with my payment method , It keep disabling after 1 withdrawl.I updated it again , then aftr previous withdrawl, its again disabled.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Khizra,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
ca6480a1
Community Member

I had the same problem, my payment method was disabled, I re enabled it and tried withdrawing, but it keeps being disabled, and my withdrawal charges are refunded, I complained to Upwork but I was to to contact my bank, I contacted my bank but they said the issue is not from them, please check and verify this issue immediately

Hello Becky,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Considering that you already have a support ticket with the team, it would be best to post your reply on that same ticket. This will allow us to continue assisting you more efficiently.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ca6480a1
Community Member

My request to send funds to my local bank keeps bouncing back showing payment method disabled and payment could not be processed, I complained but I was asked to contact my local back, I did but they said there's no issue with my bank, please fix this it's frustrating.

Hi Becky,

I see that the team has responded to the support ticket that was raised about your payment method concerns. They've provided more information as to why the funds cannot be applied to the payment method on file and further instructions for resolving the issue.

You may visit your ticket on this page and feel free to reply to the email sent by the team if you need further assistance; they'll surely assist you accordingly.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ca6480a1
Community Member

Having to complain about the same issue is frustrating, my bank insists the problem isn't from their end, my payment request keeps being rejected, all my details are correct, please look into this because I am frustrated.

Becky, I'm sorry for how this experience has inconvenienced you. I understand that not receiving your earnings can be frustrating. Please refer to the last message the team sent you via your ticket with them and continue communicating from there if you have questions or need further assistance.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ca6480a1
Community Member

What is really happening? I still can't access my withdrawal method, It keeps being disabled, I am tired of complaining about the same thing, please fix this immediately.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sam,

Please check the bank details you entered and contact your bank for more information.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Dear Vladimir. I come from Bosnia and have a similar problem. I cannot transfer the money to my Paypal account. It says that the payment method has been disabled and that the payment could not be processed. I have verified my credit card and I have some money on it (i.e. on the account). I have the same email address on both accounts. I have been using paypal for a long time for online payments and I received a payment a few years ago (not via Upwork) without any problems. However, I cannot do it now. I do not want to use other payment methods since I am not from Bosnia and Payoneer is too expensive for me (since I do not have a long term contract with a company). Kind regards,

Dragana

Dragana,

Unfortunately, PayPal can't be used as a withdrawal method on Upwork in your country. Please, add an alternative payment method. Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Please I need immediate assistance, my payment method keeps getting rejected, and I am not getting the a reply to what the exact problem is.

Hi Becky,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2b620615
Community Member

I have similar issue, last week the same thing happened, I contacted support and it was rectified though I did not get my withdrawal fees back. This week again the same thing. I withdrew yesterday and today I'm getting same message. Please look into it, I've waited long for my money and is this what I'll be passing through every week? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nkeneabasi Friday,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. It looks like you’re communicating with our team regarding this case on your existing ticket. If you have any additional questions please post them on that ticket for further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
viktahugo91
Community Member

Hello,  I am having a similar problem. I try to get paid and t shows me it is succesful and after a few miutes i get email  I cannot transfer the money to my Paypal account. It says that the payment method has been disabled and that the payment could not be processed and that i need to update my payment method. I would like assitance from upwork to have this resolved. Thank you.

Hi VictorHugo,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~Andrea
Upwork
39772a15
Community Member

It is important point to know the method of taking sum, I like with you in the same manner.

37e25d8e
Community Member

I need help with my payment it's getting rejected desperately need help

Hi Rishav,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths