cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Method not verified.

Highlighted
Patrick O Member Since: Feb 2, 2019
1 of 6

What are the risks involed with being hired by someone with an unverfiied payment method? What steps can I take to make sure I get paid?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Patrick O wrote:

What are the risks involed with being hired by someone with an unverfiied payment method?

Never getting paid. Potentially getting scammed.

Patrick O wrote:

What steps can I take to make sure I get paid?

Do not, ever accept a contract until a payment method is verified. Do not do any work.  Do not send "custom samples."

Do not do any work until you have a contract from a client whose payment method is verified under "My Jobs."

Highlighted
Patrick O Member Since: Feb 2, 2019
3 of 6

Thank you.

Highlighted
Monica T Member Since: Feb 2, 2019
4 of 6

Hi Patrick,

I have worked on projects with "unverified payment method", fortunately withoug problems (so far?). I would say use your judgement & proceed with caution for those projects. Watch for legitimacy clues in your dialog with the prospective employer. Include several early and frequent milestones to minimize your risk. Proceed to the next phase of the project only after the previous milestone payment has gone through.

Monica

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
5 of 6

I can't think of any circumstance in which I would work for a new client whose payment  method had not been verified by Upwork.

In my proposals, I always include something along the lines of, "I can get started on your project as soon as your payment method has been verified by Upwork." So I guess that kind of nips in the bud any potential client's expectations that any other approach is acceptable to me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 6

I often accept jobs from "unverified" clients.  I do tell them, however, that I cannot begin working until their payment method has been verified and I stick to it.  Never had a problem with that approach.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS