🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment Protection
Page options
munguyathomas
Community Member

Payment Protection

I thought I understood what Upwork meant when they say they offer payment protection till today when a client requested for a reversal of funds from their bank.

If clients are allowed to perform fund reversals whenever they feel like then I don't see the whole point of payment protection. I thought Upwork is supposed to restrict funds from being reserved from the bank once a client has released the funds from Escrow. The worst part is that even if I provide proof of the completed work, its not guaranteed that I will get my money back because the email I received says the final decision is dependent on the bank. This is so frustrating. Please look into this issue Upwork.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

2 REPLIES 2
NikolaS

Hi Thomas,

I am sorry for the frustration this has caused. I checked and it looks like you already have an open ticket regarding your concern. If you have further questions or if you need further assistance please follow up with our team on your ticket and they will be happy to assist you. When everything is in one place we can be more efficient at assisting you.

Additionally, feel free to check this help article for more information about Upwork Payment Protection.

~ Nikola
Upwork
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

The best thing you can do is have the scope of work written out in the Upwork message system before accepting the contract.  ALWAYS reiterate requests and changes back to the client so items are confirmed multiple times - this first request, the reiteration, and the client confirming that the request is understood. 

Also record your zoom meetings.  That way when clients try to pull a fast one by saying they never requested something or that you agreed to do something you did not, you have proof.  The last scammer I had yanked funds back stating that I did not perform the work they had requested.  This work was discussed via Zoom meeting so there was no written record of the request - luckily, it was reiterated in the scope of work and by the clients own writing.  Ultimately I was paid, but UW did not make it an easy process. 

The only thing you can do is protect yourself to the point that Upwork cannot deny your claim.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths