๐Ÿˆ Community
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Payment Unverified Jobs should cost one conne...
Page options
hassankhan14
Community Member

Payment Unverified Jobs should cost one connect only

Payment Unverified Jobs cost the same as the Payment verified jobs. As a freelancer, it discourages me to apply for the jobs which are not payment verified as the client don't have any previous history and many times they don't even award the project to anyone. 

Therefore to keep freelancers encouraged to apply for such clients jobs. I will suggest to cost one connect on such job posting instead of 2. 

 

Kind Regards

Hassan Khan 

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member


@Hassan K wrote:


Therefore to keep freelancers encouraged to apply for such clients jobs. I will suggest to cost one connect on such job posting instead of 2.


 Upwork has no interest in making freelancers apply to more jobs. The idea is to make them apply smarter, which is why the number of Connects is limited in the first place.

New clients, especially, are easily overwhelmed by large numbers of proposals, so making their jobs "half price" in terms of Connects would 1) overwhelm them and 2) overwhelm them with a lot of proposals from the "wrong" kind of freelancers (the ones who have to be super careful with their Connects because they are not very successful with their proposals.)

 

In a way mathematically you already get a better chance of winning them with a great proposal, because such jobs get far less proposals so it evens out. They cost two Connects like every other job, but there is far less competition.

 

 

 

 

Dear Petra, 

:) I personally believe that your remarks are far from reality. 
Thanks 


@Hassan K wrote:

Dear Petra, 

:) I personally believe that your remarks are far from reality. 
Thanks 


Petra's remarks are most certainly not unrealistic. We both consistenly bid of unverified jobs, which only means (usually) that it's a new client to Upwork. A vast majority of the jobs I bid on and get are from these new clients. You only need to know that no work starts until payment methods are in place. There is no good reason to reduce the number of FREE connects allotted to you.

petra_r
Community Member


@Virginia F wrote:

@Hassan K wrote:

Dear Petra, 

:) I personally believe that your remarks are far from reality. 
Thanks 


Petra's remarks are most certainly not unrealistic. We both consistenly bid of unverified jobs, which only means (usually) that it's a new client to Upwork.


 I've made well in excess of $ 30k from clients with (at the point of first contact) unverified payment methods in the last 12 months alone. But yeah... what do we know, right?

 

"I personally believe that your remarks are far from reality. " means "I have no facts to back this up but I disagree because I use up all my connects"

 

Realistically the kind of freelancers that work best for brand new clients are also those who never really worry about Connects because they could not "spend" all their connects if they tried.

 

 

mtngigi
Community Member

"Realistically the kind of freelancers that work best for brand new clients are also those who never really worry about Connects because they could not "spend" all their connects if they tried"

 

So, so true - I have so many connects at the end of every month; this year I might use them to decorate the Christmas tree.   :smileytongue:

petra_r
Community Member


@Virginia F wrote:

"Realistically the kind of freelancers that work best for brand new clients are also those who never really worry about Connects because they could not "spend" all their connects if they tried"

 

So, so true - I have so many connects at the end of every month; this year I might use them to decorate the Christmas tree.   :smileytongue:


 If only we could donate them to charity!!

 

Dear Petra, 

Things may be working for you because you unable to use all of your connects and also may be because of your area of expertise too. However, many of us are waisting connects on unverified job posts which don't even award the jobs to anyone. 


@Hassan K wrote:

Dear Petra, 

Things may be working for you because you unable to use all of your connects and also may be because of your area of expertise too. However, many of us are waisting connects on unverified job posts which don't even award the jobs to anyone. 


After viewing your profile, I can't fathom why on earth you consider this a big problem. It looks like you've done quite well for yourself.

 

Bid on jobs, and then move on. It doesn't have anything to do with what skill someone is offering  -  though there is a skill in recognizing good clients through their RFPs, that's part of it. And then there's the job invites we get ... no connects required.

 

For goodness sakes ... connects are FREE, FREE. FREE.

It's called the cost (NO COST) of doing businss. What's to complain about?


Virginia F wrote: 

For goodness sakes ... connects are FREE, FREE. FREE.

It's called the cost (NO COST) of doing businss. What's to complain about?


Connects are free, but proposals cost time. I wish I could exchange my unused connects for more hours in the day.


@Richard W wrote:

Virginia F wrote: 

For goodness sakes ... connects are FREE, FREE. FREE.

It's called the cost (NO COST) of doing businss. What's to complain about?


Connects are free, but proposals cost time. I wish I could exchange my unused connects for more hours in the day.


Like Petra said, if you don't want to spend the connects .... or the time, then don't. Problem solved.

 

Time spent writing a proposal to a potential client for my own business beats punching a clock or answering to someone else in the real world every time. Especially the working in my pjs on a cold winters day thing. That.


@Richard W wrote:

Virginia F wrote: 

For goodness sakes ... connects are FREE, FREE. FREE.

It's called the cost (NO COST) of doing businss. What's to complain about?


Connects are free, but proposals cost time. I wish I could exchange my unused connects for more hours in the day.


 Best idea so far. Alternatively, I wish I could exchange mine for elves that would finish decorating the Christmas tree, figure out how to keep the red bows from falling off the mailbox, finish the laundry and get the guest room ready, bake some holiday cookies and candy to share with neighbors and friends, finish wrapping gifts that are piled in the living room, search closets and bureaus to be sure I've remembered to get out and wrap any miscellaneous gifts purchased during the year, hang half a dozen pictures and prints I finally decided where to place, reinstall the outside party lights taken down in October for the hurricane, and go buy some poinsettias for the front porch and the cemetery.
(On Dec. 1, I thought I had one report to finish by the 17th and I'd be done for the year. As of last week, I had a substantial proposal also due the 17th, two new survey projects (one of which has to field before Christmas and one the first week of January), and I'm hosting family Christmas (instead of turning out the lights and traveling). Total thread-jack, I know. But I feel better now.

Happy holidays, everybody!


@Hassan K wrote:


Things may be working for you because you unable to use all of your connects and also may be because of your area of expertise too. However, many of us are waisting connects on unverified job posts which don't even award the jobs to anyone. 


 Then don't bid on them.

Problem solved.

tlbp
Community Member


Realistically the kind of freelancers that work best for brand new clients are also those who never really worry about Connects because they could not "spend" all their connects if they tried.

 

 


 This. Exactly. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member


@Hassan K wrote:

Payment Unverified Jobs cost the same as the Payment verified jobs. As a freelancer, it discourages me to apply for the jobs which are not payment verified as the client don't have any previous history and many times they don't even award the project to anyone. 

Therefore to keep freelancers encouraged to apply for such clients jobs. I will suggest to cost one connect on such job posting instead of 2. 

 

Kind Regards

Hassan Khan 


 Even if your idea had some merit, it is not administrable, because a client can make his payment method verified at any time between posting the job, hiring somebody, and agreeing on work. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths