Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment advice - for a client.

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
11 of 36

@Jean S wrote:

Why should she report a client she is working with and who is paying her for her work, and quite promptly it seems.

Yes he asked to work off Upwrok but as she said it was not a major issue and she handled it well. He agreed and they both seem to have a good working relationship.

You can't ask her to give up the money she is earning with what appears to be a good client simply be he made a small mistake.?

I am also just stunned at the answers here. It appears like no one really read he FULL post.

Thank you - I think so, too. I feel that way a lot in these forums actually. Makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time trying to be a writer as my point apparently doesn't come across very clearly. Smiley Wink

I am still waiting for his reply in regards to whether I should continue with the project - but with the 13 hour time difference, I can't exactly write it off - it's the middle of the night for him, and early afternoon for me.

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
12 of 36

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Barbara,

I would suggest you report the client to Customer Support for disintermediation. There are reasons why PayPal payments are not supported for some countries and those reasons are connected not with Upwork processes but with local tax and banking regulations in those countries. 

Thank you.

Hello Valeria, and thank you for your relatively quick response.

Why would I need to report this for disintermediation, though? There are, so far, no complaints from either the client or myself. Simply a request that I chose not to honor, and a question of a way to accommodate. If I'm not mistaken, disintermediation is needed when there's an issue - not just a question of convenience. The client has not requested free work, nor has he made a requirement for me to accept off-site payments. I said no and that was basically the end of it, aside from some volunteered sleuthing on my part, which I've already discerned the response to the question - "No, he can't use PayPal with Upwork, we must continue the contract the way it has been handled so far."

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 36

Barbara, you publicly quoted a conversation (now deleted) between you and your client showing that the client wanted to work away from the site. This is against the ToS.

Perhaps you should not have asked this question on the forum in the first place but taken it privately to CS.  When people give you advice on the forum, you immediately refute it. However nice your client is, he clearly wished to disintermediate. Valeria is a moderator, not an arbirtrator, she has to adhere to the Upwork ToS and  she has to advise you to report it. 

Community Guru
14 of 36

The only reason I refuted the advice was because it had no actual basis in the advice I was seeking. It's like if you ask someone which dress you should buy, and they tell you that you should cut your hair.

Client asked if I would be willing to work off site.
I said no and offered to try to find a different solution to his problem.

Client did not push to work off site.

He may have been aiming to take the work off site, but as far as what I could tell in the ToS - it's not against the rules to ask, it's against the rules to follow through.

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 36

I am sure you know best.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
16 of 36

I think she does know best.

She asked one question. How to help her client with the problem of PayPal payments.

She asked for no other advice and from the answers it seems like no one even read the post. People kept saying report the client, he'll never pay you, quit now and on and on and on.

Non of that answered her one question. That was the only advice she asked for.

I see no reason to quit a job with a client who pays her very promptly and even gives bonuses.

I believe the client doesn't realizes he broke a rule and was only looking for a way to make payments easier. She pointed this out to him and he immediately said it was fine to continue through Upwork. 

Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
17 of 36

Just to clarify, my response was neither meant to imply that Barbara should report this client nor to imply that she shouldn't continue to work for them.

In the conversation posted, the client had not even asked about alternative payment methods through Upwork, Barbara volunteered to look into it on her own innitiative. Which I suppose is fine, although I probably wouldn't have done so.

I guess my post was more meant in relation to previous posts or threads by Barbara in which she expressed difficulties or concerns about bottom rates, raising rates, establishing oneself, (identifying) clients who imply raises in a way of dangling a carrot in front of the pony, loyalty to ongoing clients, possible feel of obligation towards client who "give you a chance", etc.

So I guess it was meant as help by not helping. Sorry if that was inappropiate and unasked for.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
18 of 36

Barbara,

Whether or not you consider your client to be a reliable, honest person or not, there is only one thing you should consider from your perspective as a self-employed, professional writer: access to the money.

The benefit to freelancers of platforms like Upwork should not be underestimated, as anyone who has gone through the rigmarole of checking references, hunting down obscure addresses and filtering out arcane payment systems for business purposes will readily attest. You are lucky to have a client who is willing to pay you through Upwork, and that is what all of the posts here were trying to tell you, I think. (And a practical tip on the side: maybe Payoneer works for your client. It now has PayPal integration.)

Community Guru
19 of 36

@Alexandra H wrote:

Barbara,

Whether or not you consider your client to be a reliable, honest person or not, there is only one thing you should consider from your perspective as a self-employed, professional writer: access to the money.

The benefit to freelancers of platforms like Upwork should not be underestimated, as anyone who has gone through the rigmarole of checking references, hunting down obscure addresses and filtering out arcane payment systems for business purposes will readily attest. You are lucky to have a client who is willing to pay you through Upwork, and that is what all of the posts here were trying to tell you, I think. (And a practical tip on the side: maybe Payoneer works for your client. It now has PayPal integration.)

I will pass this along to the client - if the account is ever taken off hold. Yes, the contract is now on hold because Upwork "helpers" have to investigate whether the client is really going to continue paying on Upwork I guess - which he can't do while his account is on hold!

This is going to reflect badly on me, for my volunteer work asking if there was a way that Upwork could accommodate his needs. Not once did I state or imply that there was any solid intent to move the payment off Upwork. And now the client is being punished (he can't get the work that I have been, so far, delivering to him without a problem) and I am being punished (I can't receive the daily money I've been counting on, until this issue has been resolved).
Seriously, Upwork, I thank you that you take my whatever very seriously - but in the end, I'm being punished for asking a question that, in all reality, had nothing to do with paying off Upwork. He agreed to continue paying me the same way he has been paying me. I only sought to find a way to make it easier for him to follow the rules and he's now being investigated as if he had actually gone through with taking the work off Upwork. This is not acceptable to me.
I really hope that this suspension doesn't affect my relationship with this client, as so far it has been nothing but positive - but I'm sure in the notes he gets about why the contract was suspended, you'll tell him something like it was brought on by something I said. Can you see how this would be bad for me??
Seriously, though. I'm very upset about this. Please remove the hold and I will stop asking for help, as obviously that's the appropriate solution here, right? Obviously I should have told him I wouldn't move payment, and been done with it - I shouldn't have offered to help him find another solution. This is all I did. I guess I should have left out the initial rule-breaking request, but support should have read enough to see that he completely agreed to not break the rules. It was a request, not a demand, and when I explained that it was against the rules, he didn't ask further.

Now I'm mad. I should be making money today. Is there anything I can do to ensure that this hold doesn't last unnecessarily long and completely ruin my reputation with this client??

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
20 of 36

Well, I can't say I am surprised by the turn things took - and I get that you were only trying to help.

But the thing I didn't understand form the very beginning is, why your client didn't contact CS or try to find out himself? It's about his payment method. His problem.

He has an account, there's a client section in this forum and there is CS. I am not saying that CS is a well of solid information, particularly not when it comes to Upwork policies, but it was actually his job to clarify this.

Why didn't he?

I am sorry, but yes, it was a mistake to post this question/the conversation publicly. But the first problem was that he suggested looking for a payment method outside of Upwork for whatever reasons, legit as they may seem. Once Upwork has knowledge of such a request, they will investigate. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS