Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment advice - for a client.

d732fc20
tanya s Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
31 of 36

@Jean S wrote:

That's rubbish. Clients do not pay a fee. Clients do not pay 20% of anything. Barbara did not tell us of unhappy clients. Any client I get on my own pays me 100% up front. What you wrote has no basis in reality whatsoever.

You consider all my statements as "rubbish", yet you don't provide solid arguments. Read carefully what I wrote before putting disrespectfully what I said in a "rubbish" pile.

20% comes from 10% rate+ $10 monthly fee paid by a freelancer and passed to a client AND 10% rate paid by a client. --> 20+% per project. Basically 20+% goes to UW per project.

In general, it is a good attitude not to judge too fast. ))

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
32 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

That's rubbish. Clients do not pay a fee. Clients do not pay 20% of anything. Barbara did not tell us of unhappy clients. Any client I get on my own pays me 100% up front. What you wrote has no basis in reality whatsoever.

You consider all my statements as "rubbish", yet you don't provide solid arguments. Read carefully what I wrote before putting disrespectfully what I said in a "rubbish" pile.

20% comes from 10% rate+ $10 monthly fee paid by a freelancer and passed to a client AND 10% rate paid by a client. --> 20+% per project. Basically 20+% goes to UW per project.

Hm, Jean is a freelancer AND a client on Upwork.

I don't pay a $10 monthly fee - nobody has to. What is that 10% rate paid by clients? It's the first time I've heard of that. And I am pretty active in the forums.

Thanks.

Edit: Of course I give 10% of my earnings to Upwork, and of course that is - in some way - reflected in my hourly rate. But it's news to me that clients pay an extra 10%.

babzward
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
33 of 36

This is an interesting view of it. But it doesn't actually pertain to my situation.

I don't pay the $10 a month fee, because the basic membership is adequate for me right now. In the future, I may choose to upgrade my service - but it's simply not a priority for me right now.

Also, while I'm in the stage of building connections, I will not pass these fees along to my clients; yes, they get paid, but I consider them to be coming out of my pocket. I guess it's a bit like "union dues" at a "regular job". Sure, they're included in my price, but I consider it my expense. I know not all freelancers handle it this way, but I do.

Furthermore, your inference that the client was trying to avoid fees was a bit unfounded. The client would, first and foremost, prefer to keep all activity within Upwork - including the fees. It's definitely a security measure for all those involved, and the fee is a small price to pay for this. Maybe the fees could be lower, but they're lower than the other platform I'm on, so it's not a problem for me. Obviously it's a concern for you.

My client just wanted to be able to use Paypal as their payment method, and Upwork doesn't have this capability for their country. It's not necessarily a problem of Upwork's, but rather Paypal's, as I have since discovered - but that still doesn't factor in to your assumption that it was a problem with the fees. Never in any of my posts have I mentioned anything that would lead you to believe that I, or a client of mine, have any issues with the fees.

- Barbara Herrera -
jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
34 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

As a client I pay no fee whatsoever.

As a client I pay no % at all and even if I did your calculations are wrong on so many levels.

As I said before. Rubbish. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

What on earth are you talking about?

This is, as has been quite rightly pointed out, complete and utter nonsense.

I am not sure whether it's a lack of understanding how Upwork works, or a lack of basic maths, but it's utter nonsense nevertheless, either way.

The fee is 10% of what the client pays. That's it.

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
36 of 36

Although technically the freelancer pays it and it's passed on to the client. 

Doesn't make your sums any less rubbish though...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS