cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment advice - for a client.

tanya s Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
31 of 36

@Jean S wrote:

That's rubbish. Clients do not pay a fee. Clients do not pay 20% of anything. Barbara did not tell us of unhappy clients. Any client I get on my own pays me 100% up front. What you wrote has no basis in reality whatsoever.

You consider all my statements as "rubbish", yet you don't provide solid arguments. Read carefully what I wrote before putting disrespectfully what I said in a "rubbish" pile.

20% comes from 10% rate+ $10 monthly fee paid by a freelancer and passed to a client AND 10% rate paid by a client. --> 20+% per project. Basically 20+% goes to UW per project.

In general, it is a good attitude not to judge too fast. ))

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
32 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

That's rubbish. Clients do not pay a fee. Clients do not pay 20% of anything. Barbara did not tell us of unhappy clients. Any client I get on my own pays me 100% up front. What you wrote has no basis in reality whatsoever.

You consider all my statements as "rubbish", yet you don't provide solid arguments. Read carefully what I wrote before putting disrespectfully what I said in a "rubbish" pile.

20% comes from 10% rate+ $10 monthly fee paid by a freelancer and passed to a client AND 10% rate paid by a client. --> 20+% per project. Basically 20+% goes to UW per project.

Hm, Jean is a freelancer AND a client on Upwork.

I don't pay a $10 monthly fee - nobody has to. What is that 10% rate paid by clients? It's the first time I've heard of that. And I am pretty active in the forums.

Thanks.

Edit: Of course I give 10% of my earnings to Upwork, and of course that is - in some way - reflected in my hourly rate. But it's news to me that clients pay an extra 10%.

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
33 of 36

This is an interesting view of it. But it doesn't actually pertain to my situation.

I don't pay the $10 a month fee, because the basic membership is adequate for me right now. In the future, I may choose to upgrade my service - but it's simply not a priority for me right now.

Also, while I'm in the stage of building connections, I will not pass these fees along to my clients; yes, they get paid, but I consider them to be coming out of my pocket. I guess it's a bit like "union dues" at a "regular job". Sure, they're included in my price, but I consider it my expense. I know not all freelancers handle it this way, but I do.

Furthermore, your inference that the client was trying to avoid fees was a bit unfounded. The client would, first and foremost, prefer to keep all activity within Upwork - including the fees. It's definitely a security measure for all those involved, and the fee is a small price to pay for this. Maybe the fees could be lower, but they're lower than the other platform I'm on, so it's not a problem for me. Obviously it's a concern for you.

My client just wanted to be able to use Paypal as their payment method, and Upwork doesn't have this capability for their country. It's not necessarily a problem of Upwork's, but rather Paypal's, as I have since discovered - but that still doesn't factor in to your assumption that it was a problem with the fees. Never in any of my posts have I mentioned anything that would lead you to believe that I, or a client of mine, have any issues with the fees.

- Barbara Herrera -
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
34 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

As a client I pay no fee whatsoever.

As a client I pay no % at all and even if I did your calculations are wrong on so many levels.

As I said before. Rubbish. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 36

@tanya s wrote:

What on earth are you talking about?

This is, as has been quite rightly pointed out, complete and utter nonsense.

I am not sure whether it's a lack of understanding how Upwork works, or a lack of basic maths, but it's utter nonsense nevertheless, either way.

The fee is 10% of what the client pays. That's it.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
36 of 36

Although technically the freelancer pays it and it's passed on to the client. 

Doesn't make your sums any less rubbish though...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS