cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment and refundung

Joash F Member Since: May 1, 2016
1 of 3

I recently completed a proofreading job with a client (hourly), I completed 26 hours,101 separate documents and submitted it. After submission, the client told me job well done. However, more than two mistakes were made, and my contract had to be terminated which was fine with me. Two days pass and the client texted me asking for a refund because the work was not completed, this had me confused because I am sure I proofread everything properly, nevertheless, I refunded her thinking she would send back a fraction instead of all the money they paid me. However, I haven't even though they say they would, and I worked hard to spot significant errors in their presentations which I can keep track of, and they are using my proofreading notes. 

My questions are: 

1. If I had not refunded, her could upwork have dealt with the problem instead of me refunding her?

2. Can something be done for me to receive a portion of the cash? 

3. I should not bother, It's a lost cause? 

Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 3

What made you think the client would pay you for the work a second time, after she'd asked for a refund? It wouldn't make sense for the two of you to keep passing money back and forth like that.

3. Yes, this contract is a lost cause.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 3

Joash - on hourly jobs, freelancers are paid for the HOURS they worked, not for the work itself. That does not mean you or any freelancers should do a shoddy, incomplete, half as% job. You still need to do the very best that you can..

1. as long as you used tracker and entered notes into the screen shots it took, and, the screenshots showed you were working on the job and not reading email, playing games or randomly surfing the internet you would have gotten paid. 

2. No, the client asked for a refund, youi gave it to her, she is not going to come back and pay you a portion. 

3. That's correct, youi should not bother, it's a lost cause at this point. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS