🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment doubt
Page options
mbscfreelancer13
Community Member

Payment doubt

Hello!

I have a doubt: my client wants to pay me directly to my paypal and not through Upwork. Is this possible in the Upwork terms? How shall I proceed? He is a verified payment client.

Thank you,

Marta

2 REPLIES 2
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Marta, I am glad that you posted your question here before you make a decision that you might regret. 

First of all, Receiving payment outside of Upwork is a violation of Upwork's Terms of service that could lead to permanent suspension of the account.

Second, clients that offer to pay outside of Upwork are mostly scammers that would like to make you give up the protection that Upwork is giving you to scam you.

Third, I believe that Successfully finishing a contract and receiving feedback on your profile is a huge long-term investment [Building your profile].

My advice to you is to politely inform your client that is a violation of the TOS [Just in case he is not aware of that]. If he insists, just report him to be on the safe side. 
Also, avoid sharing any of your contact info. before the contract because this is another violation of the TOS.

I hope this helps. And I wish you the best of luck.

Youssef

Allow the client the opportunity to do the right thing. Maybe he is new and doesn't understand the rules. Be polite. Communicate in a professional manner.

"Thank you for the opportunity to work on your project. Yes, I can commit to this work. You can hire me using a regular Upwork contract. Upwork will allow you to use PayPal as your payment method. All payments will go through Upwork. I will get started on the work as soon as the contract is in place."

If the client does not hire you, then report him using the "Flag as inappropriate" link button on the job posting page.

You are not required to tell the client that you are reporting him.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths