🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment for Work done during Interview
Page options
cabezuidenhout
Community Member

Payment for Work done during Interview

Hi there

I haven't been selected for the job as of yet, however I was short listed and asked to do a task which the company will ultimately decide on who to hire. I've completed the mini assignmnet and they have asked me for payment invoice (for that short task) and will also notify me this week, if I was successful for the role.

How do I go about invoicing them for the small task, though not the main job...yet. I see it's against Upwork policy to do outside payments, that is why I am asking.

Many thanks

8 REPLIES 8
rajansharma2704
Community Member

well unless you don't have contract there is no way you can charge your customer or they can pay you. 

you must understand couple of things as you are new here. 

1. always get contract before start work to make sure you always get paid for that you are doing. customer  can change. add or modify the milestone and payment when every they want one you agree for it. 

2. keep small contract/task and then mark it comoplete will make your profile sucess rate on top real quick. 

3. never start work unless you don't have contract even for the trail job or test task. test task still a task to do . its always a good prectices. 

i Recommend in current situation get your customer to assign job on upwork and release the milestore and payments. else we always have ways to get paid if you wants to outside. but it can break the rules and harm your profile. 

Rajan Sharma
Cloud Solution Architect | Ethical Hacker | DevOps
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Claire,

The client can hire you at any time and send a payment to you under the contract or as a bonus payment.
I would also like to clarify that asking for free work is a violation of our TOS as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi thank youI am going to email them and ask them to open a mini contract for the interview task so payment for that, which is a small amount through UPWORK, can be made, even if I did not get the job advertised.Thank you for the fast response,

bevcam
Community Member

Never do work without a funded contract Claire, even if you've agreed to do it for $5. Wait for the offer, accept it and make sure the funds are in Escrow. If there's no funding, tell them you'll start once the funds are there.

It sounds rough, but you'll see FL's being told that all the time. There are unfortunately clients who con especially newbies. I was conned quite a few times because I thought everyone is a nice person 🙂

I learned the hard way when I first started working on UW. You might be paid: the client might be naive and not know how UW works. Or they could be scammers. In that case, they disappear and you never hear from them again.

Hopefully, they pay you but still take the lesson 😉

Hi guys, 

I'm experiencing something similar. I started to work with a client a few months ago. Initially, everything was in order, setting the money in escrow and releasing it on time. Last month, the client gave me a big project. They set the milestone but the money was not funded. In that certain time, I trusted but took me around one week to get my money ( after many messages ). He's done the same thing again, I've sinned with overconfidence. The client is saying that all we discuss in the chat is recorded, but I'm not so sure. 

Raquel R wrote:

Last month, the client gave me a big project. They set the milestone but the money was not funded. In that certain time, I trusted but took me around one week to get my money ( after many messages ). He's done the same thing again, I've sinned with overconfidence. The client is saying that all we discuss in the chat is recorded, but I'm not so sure. 

If a milestone is not funded, it doesn't matter what is discussed and where, your payment will depend entirely on the client's goodwill. 

There is no way you or Upwork could do anything to get you paid if the client doesn't pay.

I've done this before with trusted long-term clients, but you need to be aware that there is nothing anyone can or will do if the client doesn't pay up in the end.

eaff6abc
Community Member

Hi. How do you confirm a payment or know if you've been paid? 'cause i did a job recently for a client but i havent heard from them since then I'm afraid i have been conned

Hi Mildred,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I don't see any active contracts on your account. Please know that you have to have a contract in place before starting working on a project, otherwise the client will not be billed.

You may try contacting your client and ask for them to create a contract in order to send you a payment.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members