🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payment issues
Page options
suleiman_ocheni
Community Member

Payment issues

I’m just wondering, have payment practices on upwork changed? Because a payment that a client made 5 days ago has been pending and this is usually how long it takes for funds to become available. However, I just went to withdraw my money and 4 days have been added to my wait. Why is this?

Also, why are freelancers asked if they want to be paid by milestones or all at once when the client can override these wishes? I asked to be paid in full at the end of the contract but instead was paid in milestones; the first 20% was paid in the first milestone and now this problem I’m having is with the remaining 80%.

Can anyone please tell me who I need to write to at upwork to get my money?
4 REPLIES 4
mtngigi
Community Member

Suleiman O wrote:
I’m just wondering, have payment practices on upwork changed? Because a payment that a client made 5 days ago has been pending and this is usually how long it takes for funds to become available. However, I just went to withdraw my money and 4 days have been added to my wait. Why is this?

Also, why are freelancers asked if they want to be paid by milestones or all at once when the client can override these wishes? I asked to be paid in full at the end of the contract but instead was paid in milestones; the first 20% was paid in the first milestone and now this problem I’m having is with the remaining 80%.

Can anyone please tell me who I need to write to at upwork to get my money?

If you specify one milestone at the end of a job in your bid, and a client offers something different, you can simply say "no thank you".  You should always ask that the first milestone be fully funded before you'll start work.

I don't know why 4 days are being added, but my guess is that there are problems with the client's payment method (that's just a guess). Have you communicated with them to see what's going on? That's where I would start before opening a ticket.

Yes, I have been in communication with the client. Apparently, she paid the remaining balance but it wasn’t reflecting on my end for two days, so I let her know and she had to call up Upwork who then put the money under “pending” on my account... This was all 5 days ago...

Suleiman O wrote:
Yes, I have been in communication with the client. Apparently, she paid the remaining balance but it wasn’t reflecting on my end for two days, so I let her know and she had to call up Upwork who then put the money under “pending” on my account... This was all 5 days ago...

When you look at your Pending Tab, does the money show with a date (!!) in the left hand column? That date is when the money will be released (5 days after it was collected from the client's payment method) If it says "Pending" with no date the client has not paid Upwork yet.

If you send a proposal with one set of conditions (getting paid in full at the end) and the client sends an offer with two milestones, one for 20% and one for 80%, then you either decline, or you only do and hand over 20% of the work.

Hi Suleiman, 

I checked your account, and can see that the Support Team has explained this in detail on your open support ticket. Kindly check the explanation given by our Support Agent for more information about your concern. You can post on the same ticket thread if you have other questions about the issue.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members