cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment not verified and Interview on Google Hangouts.

ab_sarin
Anju S Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
1 of 4

I am wondering if anyone else had the same issue.  I was invited for a job and I accepted.   The job was titled Data Entry, but it gave me a list of positions available.   The interview was on Google Hangouts and I confirmed with support if it is ok before accepting it.   The company goes by *** Edited for Community Guidelines *** and is on LinkedIn.  I had the opportunity to apply for a job to that company via LinkedIn.   On Upwork, they offered me more than my rate and said they will supply a free laptop etc.   However, payment is outside of upwork.  As of now they only requested my bank name, cell phone and address, which I have not supplied.

This is their offer:

"The working hours are flexible and you can choose to work from anywhere of your choice, the pay is $35 per hour during full working hours and the training is $25 per hour, working hours is 10 to 20 hours weekly, BENEFITS: Health, Dental, 401K plan, Vision.Paid Time Off and Holidays.

You will be receiving payment through the company directly  

You are working for the company not upwork 

The company will provide you a free Hp laptop , Accounting software with a fast internet connection and the company rep will come to your home address with your W-4 /W-2 form  will be coming along with your working materials you need to start working with."

When asked if this is within Upwork policy rules I got the following response:

"Upwork policy is only for employee who are working in Upwork so right now you are working under  *** Edited for Community Guidelines *** "

I reported this to support already, but wanted the feedback of the Gurus as well.

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

It is a scam, one of the oldest and dumbest on the net.

Do **NOT** give them your address and for heaven's sake, do not give them your banking details.

For future reference, Google Hangout + new client 99.99999 % scam.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 4

Spam/ scam.  Freelancers do NOT receive benefits as they are NOT employees.  W-2., W-4 forms dont apply to freelancers.  Asking for you bank information?  Scary.

And a free laptop?  Really?  Who would supply a stranger with a free laptop.  And someone coming to your home?  Really scary.

Not to mention that the offer to pay outside of Upwork violates the TOS.  Big time.

Flag the job and forget about it.

ab_sarin
Anju S Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
4 of 4

Thank you all for the feedback.  Already reported to Support, hopefully Upwork will investigate and remove the job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS