🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Payment outside Upwork
Page options
kratika_kits17
Community Member

Payment outside Upwork

I have a client who is interviewing me for one of his job requirements. Howver, since we both are from India, he is afraid that if we work through upwork in US$, it might be illegal as the Government might intervene and ask if you both are from India why do you want to pay in US$. He is insisting to pay outside Upwork for very same reason and I know this is violation of Upwork terms. However, I have a few questions:

1. If we both are from India, can we pay in INR instead of US$

2. Will it really be illegal for us, as Indians, if we deal in US$?

Your views on the same are welcome as I do not want to violate any policy here.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prachi163
Community Member

1. No. The payments are only in USD.

2. It obviously won't be illegal! I have worked with and continue to work with Indian clients through Upwork. They pay me in USD. Never had a problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prachi163
Community Member

1. No. The payments are only in USD.

2. It obviously won't be illegal! I have worked with and continue to work with Indian clients through Upwork. They pay me in USD. Never had a problem.

Thank you so much Prachi!!! I will communicate the same to the client as well

Hi Kratika,

Please keep in mind that offering or accepting to get paid outside of Upwork is a serious violation of our TOS. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Kratika A wrote:

Thank you so much Prachi!!! I will communicate the same to the client as well

No, don't. This is a scammer, not a client. 

yofazza
Community Member

How can you know the % in others freelancers most recent feed? Quite a statement from one account's view.

kwtse
Community Member

80% of my feed are scam postings. So this figure definitely does not apply to me! Haha.

(I am in translation.)

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Mine varies between 50-80 percent every day in a few different writing categories even after applying very strict filters in my searches.

Upwork should put this on their homepage as a helpful message to everyone.

roberty1y
Community Member

I'm sure the "client" knows it's not illegal to deal in US dollars in India. Getting a freelancer to accept payment outside of Upwork is always the first step in a scam. If you went ahead with this, you'd eventually be asked to pay money on some pretext or other, money that you'd never see again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths