cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment outside of Upwork

huxley
Paul H Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
1 of 5
I was asked by a client to accept payment outside of Upwork. His reasoning for this was that he wanted to pay multiple people on the same job citing that he was working with Up work to remove the 'milestone ceiling' and that all future payments would be through this site.

Does this sound dodgy at all? I've checked his websites and he seems legitimate but there's something off.
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
2 of 5

@Paul H wrote:
I was asked by a client to accept payment outside of Upwork. His reasoning for this was that he wanted to pay multiple people on the same job citing that he was working with Up work to remove the 'milestone ceiling' and that all future payments would be through this site.

Does this sound dodgy at all? I've checked his websites and he seems legitimate but there's something off.

You should have checked Upwork's website instead, in particular the ToS you agreed to.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 5

Sounds like nonsense. Even if there was a ceiling on the number of milestones due to having so many freelancers... I've never heard of this before, so he must have a crazy high number of freelancers. If he does have a crazy amount of freelancers then that means one of two things.

First is that there is actually a ceiling that he's working with Upwork to change. If that's the case, wait until Upwork tells you that's the case and that it's ok to do. Never take a client's word for it. Second, is that he has a crazy number of freelancers, as he can afford to have a crazy number of freelancers.... by telling them he'll pay them off Upwork, and then not actually have to pay them.

Unfortunately, the latter is considerably more likely than the former. 

By all means, wait and see if Upwork get in touch to tell you you can accept payment off the platform. But I fear that email will never come... so best to forget about this one and move on. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 5

Hi Paul,

Please note that accepting or offering payment outside Upwork is a serious ToS violation. I'll ask our team to review the client's account and take appropriate action. In the meantime please stop communicating with the client, only accept to get paid through the platform and never start working without an active contract under your My Jobs tab. 

Please review these tips in order to work safely on Upwork.

Untitled
huxley
Paul H Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
5 of 5

Looks like there was a misunderstanding from the client who is new to Upwork. I think everything is going to get sorted out, though I think me posting on here precipitated things somewhat. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS