Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment reversed by client's bank

Eugen B Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
1 of 14

Hi to all. Today I received this message:
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

How it happens and why Upwork asking money from me and want to block my account?
I did a job (It was a fixed-price job.) and the Client approved it (almost a year ago in 2018).
Today, I received this mail. Why Upwork wants to block my account and ask this money from me, not from the Client?

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
2 of 14
Did Upwork specifically hint at blocking your account because of this?
Eugen B Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
3 of 14

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
4 of 14
Bummer, this.
I would have thought that if you have a case, Upwork would at least allow you present evidence that will help defeat the refund request?

In all cases, note that the client's account would be suspended by now, as all Upwork clients agreed to not do chargebacks when signing the Terms of Service.

Now, that's not too much succour in your situation, but hey.

Was it a two-, three-, or four-figure contract?
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 14

Hi Eugene,

I'm sorry the payment has to be reversed according to Upwork ToS. I see that you are communicating with one of our agents and they have provided the information to assist you with this situation. Feel free to respond to the ticket with screenshots and details about the deliverables for the contract. 

Please, note that I had to remove the content of private communication from your posts as it's not allowed by our Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Terese J Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
6 of 14

What are the client ToS that allow them to request a refund after paying for a job done a year ago?  Is that all they have to do - ask UpWork for a refund - and it's honored and collected from the freelancer?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 14

Terese J wrote:

What are the client ToS that allow them to request a refund after paying for a job done a year ago?  Is that all they have to do - ask UpWork for a refund - and it's honored and collected from the freelancer?

What do you mean?

A client can "request" a refund after a year, but no, Upwork will not just take it from the freelancer. 

This thread is about Chargebacks, which are a different matter altogether, are not allowed under the ToS and can't usually be done after a year either.

8 of 14
Thank you. What circumstances prompt a charge back? I'm not clear on the
difference from a refund request.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 14

Terese J wrote:
Thank you. What circumstances prompt a charge back? I'm not clear on the
difference from a refund request.

A chargeback is when the bank / Credit card issuer / PayPal of the owner of a credit card or PayPal account pulls the funds back from Upwork. (And Upwork will then, in turn, pull the funds back from the freelancer.)

Usual reasons for a chargeback are fraudulent use of the payment method (stolen or hacked accounts) - unauthorised use or the owner claiming they never received the goods or service or it was defective.

Chargebacks that are caused by fraud or theft are impossible to defend.

10 of 14
Wow. Good to know, thank you!
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS