🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Payment schedule Only when balance is mor...
Page options
arthursu
Community Member

Payment schedule Only when balance is more 500$ - doesn't work?

In my payment setting (in payment schedule) i chose "Only when balance is more 500$). But today i recived the message that you sent me 150$. Could you explain me how it is possible?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arthur, 

As Petra has shared, Upwork isn't able to keep funds indefinitely for legal reasons. As such, if any of your Upwork balance is over 180-days old, this will be automatically withdrawn to your primary payment method regardless of your payment schedule.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Arthur S wrote:

In my payment setting (in payment schedule) i chose "Only when balance is more 500$). But today i recived the message that you sent me 150$. Could you explain me how it is possible?

That means some or all of that money was over 180 days old, which is the maximum length of time that you can keep any funds on your Upwork account.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Arthur, 

As Petra has shared, Upwork isn't able to keep funds indefinitely for legal reasons. As such, if any of your Upwork balance is over 180-days old, this will be automatically withdrawn to your primary payment method regardless of your payment schedule.

~ Avery
Upwork

Avery ... what does that mean in English?

I'm not familiar with "withdrawn to"  Do you mean tranferred to ... ?

And maybe my confusiion comes from "primary payment method." What is that? Is there a secondary payment method? Is there a tertiary payment method? 

Moreover, does a job that takes more than 180 days automatically cancel out? Is the contract still valid? I'm workikng on a long-term project for someone and I'd hate to suddenly have the rug pulled out from under me.

Thanks.

Hi Anthony,

Balances older than 180 days will be transferred to the primary payment method. Please note that you can set up your Preferred Payment Method under your Settings - Get Paid tab. Once there, please click on the Edit schedule button, under the Preferred Payment Method section, you can choose the one from the drop-down list which will be considered your Primary Payment Method.

Please refer to section 4. of the Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions for all the details about timing and notifications related to a "Dormant Engagement".

I hope this helped.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths