cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment to Local Funds transfer instead of Paypal

ljpenner
Leanne P Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
1 of 10

I am new to oDesk and set up all my account information - both Paypal and Local Funds transfer account.

I got my first job, got paid and could not find where it went. After searching, I found that it went to my Local Funds transfer account (it was not a local client) and should have gone to my Paypal account.

Is there any way to get this money back? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 10

To be honest, I 'm a little confused by your post.

Did the money you were paid come to oDesk first (like it's supposed to) or were you being paid outside of oDesk (a big no no)? All money is supposed to be paid through oDesk so they get their 10% as a fee for connecting you with the client.

If it was in your oDesk account, then when you want to withdraw mondey, you specify where it goes. I have a few different ways set up to receive my money. When I want to withdraw, there's a little dropdown menu where you can specify where you want the money to go.

Whether the client was local or not does not matter.

There's also the automatic withdrawal system which you need to set up. You can set when the automatic withdrawal will be triggered based on money amount and date. You can also set up where it will go.

ljpenner
3 of 10

Thanks very much for the reply David. Sorry for the confusion.

The money was paid through oDesk and their fee was deducted.

I did not hit the "pay" button but let it go through the time period I originally set up to pay me within 2 weeks if over $100.

When I originally set up my payments, I set up Paypal payments and local payments.

What was NOT clear when I set these up was that is chose a local payment as a default.

So, when the payment went through, it went to a "local bank account" but was not a local client. Now I have no idea where the money went.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Leanne,

I apologize for the confusion. You should be able to check and set up your preferred Payment Method for automatic withdrawals if you go to User Settings>Get Paid.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ljpenner
5 of 10

Thanks for your reply Valerie.

It was not very clear when you originally set up the information. I have gone in and made sure my payments are now Paypal.

My issue now is, how do I get the money that was paid to a local bank but was not a local client? Is there a way of recovery or does the money get returned back to oDesk?

Cheers,

Leanne

anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
6 of 10

Is it just me or is anyone else having a problem with what a local client means? Does it matter where the client is from when everything goes through oDesk?

Leann, once the money has been sent via oDesk, it doesn't matter where you choose to send it - paypal, local bank, international bank, etc (I have all 3). 

You cannot cancel withdrawal from oDesk to your local account once it has been processed. I'm not sure why you would want to reverse the money and send it back to oDesk just so you can withdraw it again via Paypal since that means more fees.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10
Leanne, when you designate a local bank for funds transfer, that is supposed to be your bank. If that is not what you set up, then it really is not oDesk's fault. You may work with oDesk customer support to see if they can figure out where the money went. Also, contact the bank and have them help you figure out where the money is. Banks hate having money unaccounted for or in the wrong place and they may help more than low-paid oDesk support workers who are baffled by what you did.

Aside from all that, you just need to forget about this and move on while the support people do their best to figure out what you did. It was only one funds transfer, right? Make sure your settings are correct now an move forward with confidence.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 10
One more thing... Why would you want to transfer money into a PayPal account when you can transfer money to a local bank account? Leanne, your profile says you are located in Canada, and I'm assuming things work the same way for you there that they do for me, which means there are NO FEES when transfering money. To a local bank account.

I have never paid one cent in fees to transfer money from oDesk. I have no idea why someone would choose a withdrawal method with fees if they have the option to choose one without fees.
ljpenner
9 of 10

Thanks Preston.

odeskds
David S Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
10 of 10

Leanne (or anyone in the know),

Is LFT the best option going to a Canadian bank for the lowest fees?

I see there is a $1.99 charge, then a converstion from USD to CND, which looks lower than PayPal's rate but is still there.

I have heard that you can set up a US account from within Canada at some of the large banks, then use ACH for a direct, no-conversion transfer, then let the bank do the conversionto CND funds. Semms to be the best method after a paper check in USD.

I wish I could recieve a paper check in USD, as this is the lower fee by far for me -- consider this a request Upwork team, thanks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS