🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Payment
Page options
hingo0132
Community Member

Payment

Hello upwork,

Please give me my money, I had my payment in upwork on pending but now my payment is not there, why? Yesterday I have a client he start the contract and the money is 175 dollars and he asked me i need btc. In Pakistan the price of btc is so high people sell btc on high price in pakistan. And I send the btc to my client from my personal bank balance and he successfully recieved. And 220 dollars payment was pending on upwork but now I see there are not showing my 140 dollars. I request to upwork please give me my money back because i am in loss now. And I have a proof of btc transactions.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Another one bites the dust!  Upwork Moderators, please do something to spread awareness amongst freelancers about this Crypto SCAM! This is happening too often! A few emails, or a banner on main page or something similar! 

As observed in my reply to a similar scam last week, all the victims I read about are from Pakistan. 

These are the ones who report on Forum, perhaps there are many who do not report on the forum and just accept the fate after getting a response from customer support! 

At this point, Upwork should put efforts to run some campaigns to educate Freelancers about this new modus operandi on their platform. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
hingo0132
Community Member

I have very bad experience with upwork because i don't where is my money from pending.

How's the policy of upwork which eaten my payment.

Hi Dawood,

I can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. One of our agents will update your ticket and assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Dawood, you are not going to receive any money.

Scammers have been running a scam, targeting Pakistani freelancers particularly. They fund a milestone payment a payment and ask the freelancer to purchase Bitcoin with their own money and send them the Bitcoin. But then the funded milestone money is clawed back because it was funded with a fraudulent or stolen credit card. The freelancer ends up losing all the money he spent.

Sorry.

Two points:

- Exchange of funds outside of the Upwork platform is a violation of Upwork TOS. Count yourself fortunate that your Upwork account has not been suspended.

- Bitcoin is unregulated and inherently risky. That is what makes it so fun and interesting. Involvement in Bitcoin is meant for people who know what they're doing and are willing to take a risk.

As noted on your profile page, you are a cryptocurrency expert and an expert in "the money and risk management field," so you already know this. I mention this for others.

But where is my money from upwork, I was see the money was in pending but
after couple of hours I see but there was not showing my money this is main
problem its mean the upwork payment method not secure. They can't secure
our funds.

Dawood R wrote:
But where is my money from upwork, I was see the money was in pending 

That was never "your" money... It was fraudulent money. You must have known, deep down, that it was fraudulent money. You must have known that you were taking part in something that was not above board. You claim to be an expert in such matters, anyone with even the faintest knowledge must know that what you did was part of something very wrong!

So you voluntarily took part in something you must have known to be not right, or even downright criminal. 

Upwork must not process criminal transactions. So that transaction (If it ever went through in the first place) was reversed. 

Be grateful you don't end up answering to the authorities on charges of money laundering or credit card fraud.... Don't expect Upwork to protect you from your own eagerness to become the accomplice of a criminal.

In future, don't let greed take over. Don't violate the terms of service again. Don't do things you must KNOW can't possible be perfectly above board. Nobody gives away money unless it's stolen money.

You willingly participated in this and now you are upset because Upwork can't allow their platform to be used for crimes.

Dawood R wrote:
But where is my money from upwork, I was see the money was in pending but
after couple of hours I see but there was not showing my money this is main
problem its mean the upwork payment method not secure. They can't secure
our funds.

The credit card was stolen or fraudulent. What you saw on your profile was the client pretending to have paid. This is how the scam works. You think you were paid, but money was never received by upwork. Once the credit card falls through, the amount reverses. It was never real money on your profile, or in any upwork accounts. 

If you do everything right, you will get paid, every time. 

re: "But where is my money from upwork, I was see the money was in pending but after couple of hours I see but there was not showing my money this is main problem its mean the upwork payment method not secure. They can't secure our funds."

You are CORRECT in pointing out why this situation is confusing.

What you are describing you saw... that is really what you saw.

I think that it is unfortunate. I wish this wasn't the case.

If you feel like this is unfair, I understand.

This scam takes advantage of technical problems with the way that Upwork's display of money works. This is not completely unique to Upwork. There are many financial and banking systems that have similar problems. This is known as "the float." Scammers take advantage of this.

Many posts in this thread, including mine, are critical of the original poster. People have pointed out that this wouldn't have happened if the original poster had strictly followed Upwork rules. But in his defense, many scammers ARE VERY GOOD at what they do, and they use psychological techniques that allow them to overcome a mark's common sense. The way that they are able to make Upwork display fraudulent money can be very convincing.

Dawood: You will just need to move on from this. As Petra already pointed out: YOU ARE VERY FORTUNATE. We are typically seeing marks lose between $2000 to $4000 from this scam. But you lost only $140.

Dawood R wrote:

How's the policy of upwork which eaten my payment.

You never had any payment. You fell for a very transparent scam.

At least it was for only a small amount of money, others have sent the scammers literally thousands...

All because they stopped thinking when it seemed like there was a chance of making easy money with little to no effort...

Take it as a lesson learned: When something sounds too good to be true, it virtually always is. If you had thought about it properly, using just the tiniest bit of common sense, for just a minute, you'd have figured out that this couldn't possible be abover board. 

Dawood R wrote:

I have very bad experience with upwork because i don't where is my money from pending.

You had a bad experience with Upwork because you skipped the TOS and were greedy. You can't blame Upwork.
Seriously, are you a crypto expert and have you fallen for this scam?

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Another one bites the dust!  Upwork Moderators, please do something to spread awareness amongst freelancers about this Crypto SCAM! This is happening too often! A few emails, or a banner on main page or something similar! 

As observed in my reply to a similar scam last week, all the victims I read about are from Pakistan. 

These are the ones who report on Forum, perhaps there are many who do not report on the forum and just accept the fate after getting a response from customer support! 

At this point, Upwork should put efforts to run some campaigns to educate Freelancers about this new modus operandi on their platform. 

very good bro

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths