🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Payments
Page options
thewas
Community Member

Payments

Hello everyone.

Is there a reason why a client would approve a milestone, which you clearly see approved but after the waiting period, only part of the total amount reflects on your account?

5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Innocent,

As a freelancer, you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had with that client. Service fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price.

• $0-$500: 20%
  • $500.01-$10,000: 10%
  • $10,000.01 or more: 5%

For more information on the freelancer service fees, you can refer to this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks, I had factored in the Upwork fees before asking. The amount finally reflected, it is all good now. 

actualcreative
Community Member

Hi,

A milestone payment makes sure to the freelancer that his employer/client has enough funds available to pay you. And in result, you  are made sure that funds are in the milestone now and client will release when he's satisfied with the work. It's logical to assume that only client should be able to approve it and only you can cancel them.

About part of the total amount reflected, it's important to understand that Upwork charges 20% for first $500 with same client and 10% afterwards up to $10,000 and later 5% for all future work.
So, it's clear that this method is enforced to maintain a high standard and good relationship with your client.
It's a win-win situation.

Thanks, I had factored in the Upwork fees before asking. Checked today and the other half had reflected. I do not know why it came in halves but it is all good now. 

petra_r
Community Member

Innocent O wrote:

I do not know why it came in halves but it is all good now. 

Most likely reason: The client approved more than was funded in Escrow. This led to the funds that were in excrow (so already successfully billed and charged) becoming available a day before the remainder, whhich first had to be billed and charged and processed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths